How many ported ms261s out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many guys have had their ms261 ported and how they like them so far. I'm about to send mine off and am doing some 'research'. I have contacted a couple of the modders on here via pm(thank you guys!) for pricing/info.

I'm looking to make mine as strong as possible while maintaining its reliablility as it will be my main firewood saw. A strong woods port.

I've read pretty much every thread about this saw but would like to hear more user feedback after porting.

So, sound off on your ported ms261! Let me know what was done and how you like it. How long have you run it since porting? Carb swap? Still strato? I'm not so much looking for who modded it, although I would be very interested, but how it was done and how it compares to stock. Mine has 25ish tanks through it so far and is bone stock. I'm hoping for a 261 that thinks its a 440 or dang close to it.:hmm3grin2orange:

This one had work done to it up here in the PNW

002-4.jpg

The work was done late August early September (CRS) :biggrin:

It still is a strato saw it has run 18"; 20" b/c and I used 24" b/c on it once to see what it was like

I never leave home without it when I'm going cutting firewood

I don't remember how many tanks thru it or even gallons of fuel thru it. I only get fuel in one gallon can's and I bought 2 cases this summer (48 little bottles of mix) and have 4 little bottles left between all my saw's

Mine isn't the strongest as most ported saw's; I wanted it stronger than most stock saw's :msp_ohmy:

My 261 is probably the most impressive ported saw i've run/own. In my opinion its very close to a stock 70cc saw. Definitely have it ported and definitely ditch the strato! Trust me, you wont be disapointed. My $0.02.:msp_thumbup:

I absolutely love my 261. I keep a 18 " 3/8 chain on mine and what a pleasure to run!. I have also ran a 25" on it just to see if it would and it had plenty of ass to do it.

I absolutely love my 261. I keep a 18 " 3/8 chain on mine and what a pleasure to run!. I have also ran a 25" on it just to see if it would and it had plenty of ass to do it.

I've been thinking about switching to 3/8 on mine. I may just have to wear out my two .325 chains first.

As many of these saws as I've done you'd think I would be well versed in the way they handle and perform......well that's not really the case. I had used one enough to know how to stack up in timed cut against other 50cc saws.....that they are a little heavier than the 346....stuff like that. But I finally had the chance to use Rolltide's 261 long enough to put a couple of tanks of fuel through it while we were cutting some largish red oak a few days ago.

I carried my ported 372 and David's 261 with me to tear up the top section of one of the trees. I figured I would need the 372 because there was still some 10-14" stuff in there......and the stem was still attached. Well as luck would have it the 372 was out of fuel (I know :dizzy:) so I just kept on with the 261 even when the wood was "too big" for a 50cc saw. When I ran the 261 out of fuel I had already gotten through most of he smaller stuff....but when I went to fuel them both I just left that heaver 372 sitting at the fuel can. The bad ass little 261 could handle severing the main stem and bucking those bigger blocks just fine. :D

Moral of this story?????

I want a 261 in my line up now. :cry:

As many of these saws as I've done you'd think I would be well versed in the way they handle and perform......well that's not really the case. I had used one enough to know how to stack up in timed cut against other 50cc saws.....that they are a little heavier than the 346....stuff like that. But I finally had the chance to use Rolltide's 261 long enough to put a couple of tanks of fuel through it while we were cutting some largish red oak a few days ago.

I carried my ported 372 and David's 261 with me to tear up the top section of one of the trees. I figured I would need the 372 because there was still some 10-14" stuff in there......and the stem was still attached. Well as luck would have it the 372 was out of fuel (I know :dizzy:) so I just kept on with the 261 even when the wood was "too big" for a 50cc saw. When I ran the 261 out of fuel I had already gotten through most of he smaller stuff....but when I went to fuel them both I just left that heaver 372 sitting at the fuel can. The bad ass little 261 could handle severing the main stem and bucking those bigger blocks just fine. :D

Moral of this story?????

It surprises me everytime I pick it up. I love that saw. I guess that guy who ported really did know what he was doing.:msp_wink:

Moral of this story?????

When did 10-14" wood become "too big" for a 50cc saw? :confused:

It surprises me everytime I pick it up. I love that saw. I guess that guy who ported really did know what he was doing.:msp_wink:

When did 10-14" wood become "too big" for a 50cc saw? :confused:

I got to use the same saw for at least 2 tanks the same day randy did. I used it to cut the 461 out once when I pinched the bar in the main trunk. I like the way it handles and it has way more torque where I would get aggravated at a gut less 346 in wood over 6". I made some cuts with the bar buried on the 261 and it was just trucking along. It's the first 50 cc saw I've ran and actually didn't put down to go back to a 70cc saw. I'm going to pick me one up here in a week or so hopefully when I get the play account built back up from Xmas.

Latest posts

Back