How many saws does a guy need ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my own saw business and constantly having to run saws it gets very hard to find wood to cut and I have a huge farm. Every down tree on the place is cut into cookies plus all the cull log piles in a 20 mile radius. Putting a tank through 4 or 5 saws a week takes a bunch of wood.

I have my own saw business and constantly having to run saws it gets very hard to find wood to cut and I have a huge farm. Every down tree on the place is cut into cookies plus all the cull log piles in a 20 mile radius. Putting a tank through 4 or 5 saws a week takes a bunch of wood.
I hear u. I work on saws too and when I cut bigger wood I usually noodle into halves or quarters depending on size and bring it home and finish noodling to test saws

I don't split wood any other way than a saw anymore. I never dreamed that wood to cut would be a problem when I started this. I've bn building and porting saws for 10 years so there's not much left around me to cut. I've got a bunch of blow down on the farm but I've bout got it cut up now. Gonna have to buy a load of cull logs pretty soon.

I never thought I would want 5 working saws, but now that I got them, I don't want to give any of em up. It is nice to have back ups, and a few different bar lengths. (Have 2 w/20", 2 w/24" 1 w/28" and and a 36" bar for when I need it).

And then I look at my brother's 241 or Keith's 064 and say, "would not mind having that one either"! At least the firewood covers my costs.

No ,i had one a couple months ago ,but gave it to another guy that needed one ,What i find amazing is 95 % of the guys on this site have 10 or more saws and do not really need them ,and the guys that do need them may have only one to generate income with ,i have asked several what they do without a backup saw ,and they said "I get to go home early those days "

I know full well it was that way back in the early days with me working in the woods trying to make a living off running one saw and cutting for very little money. The longer I cut the more saws I gathered but I could repair anything no matter how bad it was broken or damaged/wore out. Most others couldn`t repair anything and get it to work again and they never had more than one saw.

I never thought I would want 5 working saws, but now that I got them, I don't want to give any of em up. It is nice to have back ups, and a few different bar lengths. (Have 2 w/20", 2 w/24" 1 w/28" and and a 36" bar for when I need it).

And then I look at my brother's 241 or Keith's 064 and say, "would not mind having that one either"! At least the firewood covers my costs.
How do u like that 241 Mike?

If chainsaws are like bicycles and you are new to the "sport" then you need at least 8. One for every day of the week plus one spare one.

Once you reach 8, then the rule is automatically changing to X+1 where the X represents the current number of saws :)

My CAD is currently in remission, and I now only manage smaller wood lots and timber stands compared to what I used to. So my needs are somewhat less than before. So right now I would say about 10-12 saws is all I 'need' now, all Stihl: 211, 251, 026 x 2, 361 x 3, 461 x 2, 660 and an 044 for good measure. 11 saws. Manageable.

Now, in my bad CAD days when I managed several hundred acres of timber and had one of several a Bandit chippers and climbed and did tree service stuff? I would say over 30 saws, minimum. Lets see, in the Stihl lineup: 200T x 3, 211 x 2, 251 x 2, 271 x 2, 026 x 4, 361 x 6, 044 x 4, 461 x 4, 660 x 2, 661 x 4 = 33 saws.

Then of course if I were to spill back into the Dark Side of CAD, I would also add these saws from Husky: 550 x 2, 555 x 2, 562 x 2, 372 series I x 4, 576 x 2, 395 x 2, 3120 x 1 = 15 more saws, for a grand total of 48 saws.

So my answer is 11 saws, 33 saws, or 48 saws, depending. I currently only have 7 saws, which means I need to buy more saws, of course. Damn CAD!

I'll start a list
Felling saw
Limbing saw
Bucking saw
Milling saw
Top handle saw
Pruning saw
Firewood saw
Truck saw
Camp saw
Emergency saw
Loaner saw