How many stump with a 120cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been thinking, as always, about getting a 120cc saw for stumping a big wood. Was thinking about putting a 42" bar.

I already have two 660's with 32" bars and a 394 with a 36" for this purpose, but can't help but think about setting up a monster just because I can and for sale's appeal and whatnot. That big pig is always impressive to the customer whether you use it or not.

Thoughts or experience?

Been thinking, as always, about getting a 120cc saw for stumping a big wood. Was thinking about putting a 42" bar.

I already have two 660's with 32" bars and a 394 with a 36" for this purpose, but can't help but think about setting up a monster just because I can and for sale's appeal and whatnot. That big pig is always impressive to the customer whether you use it or not.

Thoughts or experience?

I find the bigger the bar and chain the harder to sharpen what size stumps are you cutting?

I'm the stump cut man on my crew I'll give my oppinon

our saw lineup is as follows 192t/ ms260 18"/ 440 24" /660 32"/ 880 36" / and a dolmar 7900(for the cut man on the ground)

the 660 I only use for stuff up to maybe 28" it just seems to cut way to slow and i end up using way more effort to get the saw through the cut then even the 440 in say a 40" cut plus the felling dogs on it just arn't big enough to get good leverage on it sometimes, yes chain is sharp and rakers are set properly. almost always I go straight for the 880 as long as you keep it sharp it just plows through the cut and I like to take the rakers practically off with the short bar(36"). we have a 48" bar for it that I have not used yet this season so I cant put my .02 cents on that, but from my experience being the cut man just from a production point of view and wear and tear on the body I'd say yes get a big saw with what ever size bar you want its a bit over kill in most applications but for those times where you wish you just had a bit more saw or to impress the hot chick watching in the window you have the option but I recommend if you do not normally wear ear plugs or muffs when using saws do so with the biggun because after running that baby wide open for a while your ears will ring for 2 days afterwords

3120? That's a lot of saw. My dealer had one used for cut offs at a saw mill. He knew the saw's history the price was right and it was tempting. I hefted that saw every time I went in the shop and in the end it just seemed to darn heavy and I bought a 395. A big bar sure would be impressive though.
Phil

3120? That's a lot of saw. My dealer had one used for cut offs at a saw mill. He knew the saw's history the price was right and it was tempting. I hefted that saw every time I went in the shop and in the end it just seemed to darn heavy and I bought a 395. A big bar sure would be impressive though.
Phil

I have a 3120 and it just sits there year after year.Are you trying to impress your self or the customer cant you cut stumps well with what you have what are they 6 feet wide all the time .Did you ever try to sharpen them damn chains?

I'm really working on being a better person. The old me would make a comment about the size of something else. However my conselling is working wonders. It was close I really wanted to say it but I didn't.

I climb on average once a fortnight with a 3120xp running a 28 inch bar. I have a couple 88's with bigger bars but if you want trunk blocking power, the 3120 is the step up from the 66 that the 66 is from the 44. Less likely to get jammed up with chips and get right through the block without jamming or using wedges etc.
I run up to a 50inch bar on the 88's, climbing with it isnt fun but on the big stuff its awesome, and compared to the 090 its a doddle.
I dont like heavy saws, but its all about production and ease on the climber and groundies. The saw weighs no more than any other once in the cut, and you can do smaller, ready to carry off property and easy to throw pieces fast.

Last edited:
Lone wolf even the old me wouldn't question you. But getting a 120 cc saw to impress the customers?

i have a 3120xp with a 4' bar, i only use it a few times a year, but when i do i sure am glad i have it
i have also run several 88s, the 3120 cuts circles around every 88 ive ever used, it also seems to me to be balanced better, therefore easier to use on it side
it also has a hand oiler to give it extra lube in bigger cuts, something the 88 doesnt have
i got mine for basically 700$, i borrowed it from a buddy, he said sure, but it needs a tune up
i brought it into the shop, they said jug and piston are shot, 950$
i told my buddy, he said he wasnt going to fix it and i could do with it as i pleased
well by that time i was done with the job i wanted it for and so just took it home from the shop and left it set till i met a guy said hed fix it for 700$ and give me a 90day warranty
:) i never _need_ it, but it does make the odd job a lot easier
and my husky dealer sharpens chains for 5$ each, any chain, lol

i have a 3120xp with a 4' bar, i only use it a few times a year, but when i do i sure am glad i have it
i have also run several 88s, the 3120 cuts circles around every 88 ive ever used, it also seems to me to be balanced better, therefore easier to use on it side
it also has a hand oiler to give it extra lube in bigger cuts, something the 88 doesnt have
i got mine for basically 700$, i borrowed it from a buddy, he said sure, but it needs a tune up
i brought it into the shop, they said jug and piston are shot, 950$
i told my buddy, he said he wasnt going to fix it and i could do with it as i pleased
well by that time i was done with the job i wanted it for and so just took it home from the shop and left it set till i met a guy said hed fix it for 700$ and give me a 90day warranty
:) i never _need_ it, but it does make the odd job a lot easier
and my husky dealer sharpens chains for 5$ each, any chain, lol

Love the deal on the sharpening!

I only have a 084av because I bought it from a friend for $350. I got it running real nice about 6 months ago. It looks real nice under my work bench. I use the 066 with the 32 inch bar for big stuff if I have too usually the 066 with the 24 inch bar is more than enough. Now with the cooler weather I might get the 084 on the Alaskan mill. I'm sure the deer and turkeys at the milling site are gonna be impressed.

I only have a 084av because I bought it from a friend for $350. I got it running real nice about 6 months ago. It looks real nice under my work bench. I use the 066 with the 32 inch bar for big stuff if I have too usually the 066 with the 24 inch bar is more than enough. Now with the cooler weather I might get the 084 on the Alaskan mill. I'm sure the deer and turkeys at the milling site are gonna be impressed.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:I always had better results with 70- 90 cc saw stumps with 28 in bars

I don't know if too many hot chicks are impressed with Neanderthals dragging their knuckles on the ground when they walk.
I honestly don't really mind the extra hour (or less) that it takes to finish a job using a 361 or 440 instead of a 660. My arms/body are tired enough at the end of the day.

Longevity is the name of the game.
I help a fellow once in awhile who sells 350-400 face cord of wood/year. His biggest saw is a 361. He is currently 62 years old.
Just sayin'

I bought a 3120 as a spare head for my alpine magnum, I got a great deal on it used. Now that I have it I would never go without it. We have basically put the 660 away. We go straight from the 460 to the 3120. I love the manual oiler and having the ability to pull a big bar, though mostly the 36" stays on it. Sometimes I take that thing out even for small (30") stumps, it plows right through it no wedges needed. Also we use it for bucking anything over about 30". We usually have to cut pieces up small to get them out of backyards or fences. I can't even count the hours that saw has saved us since we got it.

I haven't used it in the tree yet.... and probably never will. A 460 or max a 660 is just fine for me up there. On the ground the extra weight of the saw is totally offset by the amount of time you save in the cut. I would rather buck a big log with the 3120 than a smaller saw any day of the week.

Another thing is that I process all my wood for firewood, including big stumps. That saw is great for ripping big cookies and stumps in half.

....and it probably won't impress all the ladies.... but it might impress a few.

I bought a 3120 as a spare head for my alpine magnum, I got a great deal on it used. Now that I have it I would never go without it. We have basically put the 660 away. We go straight from the 460 to the 3120. I love the manual oiler and having the ability to pull a big bar, though mostly the 36" stays on it. Sometimes I take that thing out even for small (30") stumps, it plows right through it no wedges needed. Also we use it for bucking anything over about 30". We usually have to cut pieces up small to get them out of backyards or fences. I can't even count the hours that saw has saved us since we got it.

I haven't used it in the tree yet.... and probably never will. A 460 or max a 660 is just fine for me up there. On the ground the extra weight of the saw is totally offset by the amount of time you save in the cut. I would rather buck a big log with the 3120 than a smaller saw any day of the week.

Another thing is that I process all my wood for firewood, including big stumps. That saw is great for ripping big cookies and stumps in half.

....and it probably won't impress all the ladies.... but it might impress a few.

ive had mine in the tree once for a crane job, 3 pick on some massive basewood, nice to be able to put it against the side of the tree, let it pull its way through to the other side and watch a 7600lbs log float away

Thoughts or experience?

Title should read how often do you use 120 cc saw!

Back