How many stump with a 120cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Longest bar I have is 24", and it has not been used on a saw in more than two years. Run either 18" or 20" on the 361 & 440 and 16" on the 260.
Sold my 066 and 660s to a logging buddy a few years ago with no regrets.

Have a vise mounted on fender of chipper = nice height for sharpening.
You guys cutting BIG wood with them long bars must spend a lot of time sharpening. I hate to rock even a little 20"chain, but then again, stump grinding with my tired Rayco is an inconsequential & non-advertised revenue stream for me.
Whatever floats yer boat!

Well I can tell you or your boss around here we find dirt in the base of stumps a foot off the ground anyone else see this?

Don't have a boss. Just how do you figure this dirt gets up there? Tree does not transport dirt. Maybe you are confusing this with decay which should not dull your saw.

Yeah... unfortunately most trees I deal with are small, 30" or less. I definitely do the biggest trees in the area but I probably only do one a week that has a stump over 50". Usually a cottonwood, siberian elm, or maybe a silver maple. We don't have to many giants here in CO. luckily people here still plant cottonwoods.... I don't get it. I would love to get my hands on an 090 someday though... not that I need it.... I just want it

Yup, it's the Cottonwoods and Silver Maples that are the regular offenders here. 50" comes around on a regular basis.

To me though it's not about the bar length, it's about the torque offered by the powerhead. Looking for that grind it out torque like Treevet has with his 090 for true stump ripping power.

I know the answer, just need to keep the eyes open.

Don't have a boss. Just how do you figure this dirt gets up there? Tree does not transport dirt. Maybe you are confusing this with decay which should not dull your saw.

Another one would be decayed fecal matter from animals living in the voids. That stuff can stack up, add some moisture and you'll have an ugly looking saw when you hit it. Leaves and nuts too will pack in and break down.

none of that stuff nails mentioned should dull your saw except if you got kids tossing stones in crotches and cavities which happens sometimes. dirt a foot off the ground....uh uh

I think its easier to just dump oil on the bar then keep pushing the oiler

so dump oil on it, even without the hand oiler the 3120 out cuts an 88 hands down, granted ive only run the 1 3120, the one i own, but ive run 4 or 5 different 88s over the years

ive found small rocks high up in trees on numerous occasions, likely coons or squirrels
also cut hollow logs full of sand, how it got there is a mystery, possible result of the storm that brought it down. idk, but it was in the trunk which was still standing

A metal stake, or horse shoe, or even concrete will trash the chain beyond help.

still not buyin the dirt one foot up off the ground in wood. think you may be a novice. biggest thing that dulls a chain is a novice that does not properly aim the cut and does not check its progress through the stump in blind spots and just plain hits the ground. takes a little longer but worth it as does aiming the blade accurately.

that and an improperly sharpened chain that curves.

Last edited:
still not buyin the dirt one foot up off the ground in wood. think you may be a novice. biggest thing that dulls a chain is a novice that does not properly aim the cut and does not check its progress through the stump in blind spots and just plain hits the ground. takes a little longer but worth it as does aiming the blade accurately.

that and an improperly sharpened chain that curves.

35 years my own business cut a couple hundred cords a year .You must be a novice if you never hit dirt higher than the ground and is Troy a liar or another novice?

Latest posts

Back