How many stump with a 120cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35 years my own business cut a couple hundred cords a year .You must be a novice if you never hit dirt higher than the ground and is Troy a liar or another novice?

Let's leave Troy out of this. You said you often hit dirt a foot above the ground while cutting a stump. Not buying it and furthermore,,,why you cutting a stump a foot above the ground?
I usually read the novice posts pretty well, guess I am wrong on that one.

Again, tree don't transport dirt....you got a multi stem co dom or a cavity you may hit decay but not dirt. We're not talking bottles, door bells, cannon balls, crete, spoons, fence, poles, water lines, etc. all of which I have hit.... but never dirt just contained in wood away from the ground a foot up.

Since you been cutting 35 years or whatever howscome you never got a big saw?:msp_confused:

Let's leave Troy out of this. You said you often hit dirt a foot above the ground while cutting a stump. Not buying it and furthermore,,,why you cutting a stump a foot above the ground?
I usually read the novice posts pretty well, guess I am wrong on that one.

Again, tree don't transport dirt....you got a multi stem co dom orfot a cavity you may hit decay but not dirt. We're not talking bottles, door bells, cannon balls, crete, spoons, fence, poles, water lines, etc. all of which I have hit.... but never dirt just contained in wood away from the ground a foot up.

Since you been cutting 35 years or whatever howscome you never got a big saw?:msp_confused:

1 lets not leave Troy out for your sake he said he saw sand in a tree too
2 Why am I cutting a stump a foot above the ground a few good reasons maybe objects in the way maybe cause a smaller piece fits into the chipper the list goes on.
3Howcome you did not read the part about the 3120 or see it in my sig?
4Why do I need to answer to you?
5Why do you think you are better got a complex Napoleon?

Last edited:
How come a know it all cant get anything to run what you need a dealer for?

polechainsaw engines suck

Why can't someone put a great (read GREAT) engine on a polechainsaw? How about an ms200 engine or a tanaka engine or even a Husky (eeuucchhh) engine with some ass on a polechainsaw?

I have had a number of polechainsaws and all the engines have been dogs (ruff ruff). The two I have now you have to stand there and work the choke level back and forth (powerpruner/echo) mass times until it will run smoothly (with insufficient power). My employee has a new PP and his is the same.

I took it to the dealer and told my friend the mechanic I cannot set up the carb. He said they are very "touchy" to set up and after he did it it was a little better but quickly got worse.

Last time I tried a Stihl pp it was a dog and dropped a big steamer on the ground as well.
Original post by Treevet

heh, at a foot i would have missed it, at 8" not so sure, at 6" i know i would have got it and at the 2-3" where i cut it thinking id be safe, i found a lot of it, and it was, most definitely sand, not decayed wood and squirrel ####

We seem to find dirt in the middle of stumps that are bad a lot around here.Are you cutting near towns or in the woods?We find a lot of metal and concrete too inside.

Ok since you in the pineys I can buy a multi stem having sand blown in it but still can't buy it being inside the stump a foot up if not a multi. I used to climb for Shearer Tree out of Trenton/Princeton around 40 years ago. Ex wife has a house on Long Beach Island. All sand down there.

All little swamp oaks and pines through there

Ok since you in the pineys I can buy a multi stem having sand blown in it but still can't buy it being inside the stump a foot up if not a multi. I used to climb for Shearer Tree out of Trenton/Princeton around 40 years ago. Ex wife has a house on Long Beach Island. All sand down there.

All little swamp oaks and pines through there

Next one I will take a pic .I dont work in the pines its protected we work outside it Oaks ,Maples, Cherrys ,Walnut ,Hickory a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Don't have a boss. Just how do you figure this dirt gets up there? Tree does not transport dirt. Maybe you are confusing this with decay which should not dull your saw.

through decomposition and transference of minerals by birds and animals dirt can form in a crotch or stump that would be no different then on the ground and without doubt will dull a chain.

through decomposition and transference of minerals by birds and animals dirt can form in a crotch or stump that would be no different then on the ground and without doubt will dull a chain.

The difference is ground dirt has pebbles and small rock in it and in his case sand that will dull the saw. Decomposed organic matter collected in the crotch would not dull a saw any more than wood would. You are patently wrong.

Still trying to get an answer as to how "dirt" is going to get in solid wood "1' above the ground". Got an answer to that?

The difference is ground dirt has pebbles and small rock in it and in his case sand that will dull the saw. Decomposed organic matter collected in the crotch would not dull a saw any more than wood would. You are patently wrong.

Still trying to get an answer as to how "dirt" is going to get in solid wood "1' above the ground". Got an answer to that?

the rock you talk about is MINERAL and that is what is transferred by birds and animals and the decomposing material essentially is no different then dirt. The mineral size may be smaller but it is still going to have an impact on your chain. It may not be as bad but it will impact it.

Last edited:
I run an 088 that I put a new piston and cylinder in about a few months after I bought it used. I run it with a 30" bar and a 48" Granberg Titanium bar. I love it and I hate it. Cutting with it I love it, sharpening it I hate it. I was taking down a 4 stem Silver near Portage Lake State Park and as I was cutting about a foot below the crotch hit a nice fist sized rock. My buddy and I looked at eachother after digging the blasted thing out and both of us just knew it had to be some kid that put it there years ago and the tree swallowed it. Like the long bar, no matching up cuts. Once and done. The noisy beast brings people out and gets me business. And yes it gets the womenfolk a little excited, go figure.

Lone wolf, your PM box is full!

We have a common hard wood native tree called pohutakawas (metrocidieous excelsia sp?) and if its a big stump the chances of cutting it through a foot from the ground without hitting pockets of abrasive matter are slim.

Dirt finds itself in weird places, we come across compressed dirt pockets above ground level often.

We have a common hard wood native tree called pohutakawas (metrocidieous excelsia sp?) and if its a big stump the chances of cutting it through a foot from the ground without hitting pockets of abrasive matter are slim.

Dirt finds itself in weird places, we come across compressed dirt pockets above ground level often.

damn those pockets of abrasives and carpenter ants at one foot above :)

Now there is a man who cuts lots of Timber!

Latest posts

Back