How many stump with a 120cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lone wolf, your PM box is full!

We have a common hard wood native tree called pohutakawas (metrocidieous excelsia sp?) and if its a big stump the chances of cutting it through a foot from the ground without hitting pockets of abrasive matter are slim.

Dirt finds itself in weird places, we come across compressed dirt pockets above ground level often.

Try PM again should work.

wow ,i wouldnt use a 120cc saw for anything less than a 5ft bar

we rarely need anything bigger than a 3ft on the 85

120cc saw is good for 2 things HUGE ass trees ,OR showing off

i found the 3120's dogs were just in the way ,they are huge

wow ,i wouldnt use a 120cc saw for anything less than a 5ft bar

we rarely need anything bigger than a 3ft on the 85

120cc saw is good for 2 things HUGE ass trees ,OR showing off

i found the 3120's dogs were just in the way ,they are huge

Everyones different, but I hurt in spikes, so my rule is to get it done as fast as possible, and the 3120 blocks down faster than my 66's or 395 once the trunks over 22 inches. Its not the easiest saw to use but it gets the stick down asap and since we run small crews in bad access areas, if the blocks hit the ground in easy stair carryable sizes, it saves us a bucket of time.

im sorry but i do not see a saw meant for plain torque for pulling a 6 foot bar/chain cutting fast

when we had the 3ft bar on the 3120 just did not go well

its like a guy with 7" pecker wanting 10" ..u already have enough size to get almost any "job" done (if u know what ur doin) but nooo u gotta have the biggest "####" at the urinal ....

i see this alot around here people buying stuff they dont really need ,HUUUUGE ass 4 door f750's.....just to pull a 6-10" chipper....with no more than 2 people 90% of the time in the truck ,bucket trucks with the extra 10' or so elavator with it and use more gas running around town ,and has no hope of gettinhg saw dust on it cuz its at car wash when its not being paraded around town

yea buy a saqw that cost almost 2 grand to block trees that most likely a 372 (or anything like it) can do just as well and prolly easier

im sorry but i do not see a saw meant for plain torque for pulling a 6 foot bar/chain cutting fast

its like a guy with 7" pecker wanting 10" ..u already have enough size to get almost any "job" done (if u know what ur doin) but nooo u gotta have the biggest "####" at the urinal ....

i see this alot around here people buying stuff they dont really need ,HUUUUGE ass 4 door f750's.....just to pull a 6-10" chipper....with no more than 2 people 90% of the time in the truck ,bucket trucks with the extra 10' or so elavator with it and use more gas running around town ,and has no hope of gettinhg saw dust on it cuz its at car wash when its not being paraded around town

yea buy a saqw that cost almost 2 grand to block trees that most likely a 372 (or anything like it) can do just as well and prolly easier
I think you have a point I really dont use mine much .They are used rarely around here.

:monkey:

I can't believe you guys don't use your big saws more. I bust that bad boy out probably twice a week. Sure was glad to have it yesterday. We pulled this whole tree out through a 40" gate. That saw probably saved us over an hour vs the 660....

MOV028 3 - YouTube

I totally get what you are saying with the trucks and carrying a 3120 in a tree.... but as far as cutting on the ground I'll take all the Horses I can get. I can't believe you don't like your 3120 with a 36" That chain never stops, you can just dig the dogs in and push it right through the cut..... It's like a woodcutting light saber.

.....ok maybe not quite a light saber..... but now that I think of it I need a light saber

I totally get what you are saying with the trucks and carrying a 3120 in a tree.... but as far as cutting on the ground I'll take all the Horses I can get. I can't believe you don't like your 3120 with a 36" That chain never stops, you can just dig the dogs in and push it right through the cut..... It's like a woodcutting light saber.

.....ok maybe not quite a light saber..... but now that I think of it I need a light saber

most stumps....one and done

yea it ate like a motha on the ground ,but the dogs for stump removal was just ALL wrong we sold the damn thing ...we used it 3 times twice with 6ft bar ,and once with the 3 ft ,i hated it with the 3ft bar ....now with the 6ft bar ...there was maybe 2 inches of the bar sticking out the other side and no the chain never stopped till throttle was let go ,i used this saw for the most part ,i DID NOT SEE any advantage over the 395 with 3ft ,actuall the 95 seemed faster and more easy to handle cutting from the side aswell (both with 3ft bars now)

i am REALLY happy i got to use a 3120 ,but anything less than a 5ft bar ,cmon stop showing off ,yea it sounds liike a dirtbike engine and u feel manly with it in your hand ,as im sure u would with thing betwen ur legs like john holmes but come on ,u can finsh the job with alot less pain with prob half the size or so....and not have the probs ...

yea i loved showing the pics off the saw to people ....but be realistic here ..its your ego thats getting the most of a HUGE saw

keep it for large bars or just dont buy it you get to a stum with HIGH roots ,ittl just piss u off trying to use the 3120 for that

pebbles in stump

I cut a 30" poplar stump today. It had an old rotted branch 9" or so on one side. There was a pocket of dirt and pebbles the size of large peas about 12" off the ground. PITA.
So one more vote for rocks in trees.
For real.
Honest.

You need to be shown how to use a 3120 efficently in a tree? No sweat, come on over. We have tested this out, had blocking races on matching trunks. 3120 wins, especially on the real knotty stuff.

It gets chunks down faster in sizes that the guys on the ground can take straight out. Less waiting, no need to double cut or mess with a wedge or bar. Cut through, harness saw, push, downclimb, cut, harness saw, push, downclimb.
I wouldnt do it if it didnt work well.

Back