How many times do you touch your firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
once from ground to loader bucket, dump in pile, once into furnace so twice I guess. Cutting dead red oak last week, 13 minutes from time tree fell till first piece was in furnace nice to have wood lot across fence from furnace

I think 7 to 11 times:
(1) Cut into 16" to 18" rounds with chain saw.
(2) Load rounds onto truck.
(3) Unload rounds from truck and stack for initial drying.
(4) Carry partially dried rounds to log splitter, often in wheelbarrow.
(5) Split rounds and stack in a random pile for more drying.
(6) Load dried splits back into truck for delivery or wrap in bundles.
(7) Unload split logs or bundles from truck and stack.
If bundles,
(8) Help load bundles onto customers truck.
If the wood is mine, I have to then
(9) Load split logs into temporary cart. Mine holds 50 split logs.
(10) Cart split logs to stove and unload cart near hearth.
(11) Load the stove with split logs that have usually been warmed by stove.

Rather amazing how many times yours paws touch the wood before it produces heat. And, don't forget the ashes eventually have to be shoveled out of the stove.

1 cut tree down
2 hook cable from my processor to log.. The processor cuts, splits ,and loads it onto a trailer or in a tote
3 load in owb
I like cutting firewood as much as anyone.. But I got way too much other stuff to be doing besides handling a stick of wood 6-7 times...

1) Climb tree, dismantle.
2) Argue with homeowner about him changing his mind and wanting some of the firewood. Bonk homeowner on head with log.
3) Bonk homeowners dog with log. Make escape.
4) Following day, after police have taken down crime scene tape, load firewood in trucks/trailers. Leave them parked on street and head to coffeeshop.
5) 2:00 AM bonk firewood thieves on head with several logs.
6) Next morning, unload firewood at temporary staging site... in driveway in front of garage door. Leave for coffeeshop.
7) Later in afternoon, return and spot wife on porch with cast iron skillet. Blocked her car in. Move wood to temporary staging area, alongside the garage. Head for the bar.
8) Following day, trip over that extra long log that was sticking out just a few inches. Look up in time to see firewood rounds tumbling down.
9) Upon return from emergency room, move wood pile to backyard for splitting. Realizing splitter is in garage, attempt to drag it with lawn tractor to wood pile.
10) With log splitter now stuck in mud halfway to wood pile, lay out pallets around it and move wood pile to pallets. Head for bar.
11) Next afternoon, with blinding headache, split wood.
12) Move split firewood to temporary staging area, alongside garage.
13) Following day, trip over split and faceplant into pile of firewood.
14) Same as above.
15) Restack firewood in a more sensible place. The garage. Head for coffeeshop.
16) Upon return, realize the log splitter is behind firewood. Restack on other side of garage. Head for bar.
17) Next day, upon discovering wife has hit firewood stack with her car (and buried it) move firewood stack to out behind garage. Head for coffeeshop.
18) Upon return, informed that firewood stack is on top of flower bed. Move firewood to back of lot and tarp.
19) Following year, check on firewood. Entire family of woodchucks living under it. 25% loss. Move firewood to back wall of garage.
20) Next day, attempt to exit house by way of door leading into garage. Door won't open. Blocked with firewood. Restack in long row down middle of garage.
21) Following week, cold and snow in forecast, attempt to fit lawn tractor, motorcycle and log splitter in one half of garage... knocking over firewood stack. Restack firewood a few inches over.
22) Next day, wife hits firewood with car, burying it. Move firewood to hastily built rack alongside of garage. Head for bar.
23) Following day, trip over extension cord for Xmas lights and faceplant into firewood stack.
24) Same as above.
25) Pile firewood in middle of yard. Pour five gallons of gasoline on it and set it ablaze.

This firewood stuff is too much damn work. :mad:

Right now Im down to 3 but thats because I have logs delivered.

When I bring it home from work....

1) Usually done with a loader but Ill count it since we cut stumps and cut to trailer length.
2) Cut to firewood length
3) Load onto splitter
4) Throw into home made basket

I don't physically touch the wood again until I put it into the stove.

Too many times. Dump trailer reduces it by 1. Still cheaper than a gym membership though...except for CAD and the cost of equipment to reduce wood handling.

Fell, limb, and skid
Buck
1. Split
2. Load
Dump
3. Stack for seasoning
4. Stage at point of use
5. Put in wood stove

Too many times. Dump trailer reduces it by 1. Still cheaper than a gym membership though...except for CAD and the cost of equipment to reduce wood handling.

Fell, limb, and skid
Buck
1. Split
2. Load
Dump using dump truck?
3. Stack for seasoning
4. Stage at point of use
5. Put in wood stove
You make things sound so simple near Fort Wayne. I may have to move back to Indiana. (Slight editing added for the unloading task.) However, I must ask, "How did you Fell, Limb, Skid and Buck without touching any wood? Did you get this old bat to help you do that?"
Hillary-C3PO-copy.jpg

Most of the wood I process comes from loads of logs I have delivered.
1- Buck the logs. Bucking and splitting is done at the log pile.
2- split & throw into trailer.
3- haul to house (3/4 mile) stack to dry.
4- haul into house and burn.

I used to cut into rounds and haul to the house to split but splitting at the pile is more efficient and keeps the splitting mess away from the house.

About 5 ton of dead standing wood I cut last winter. Throwing into the boiler is the only time I actually put gloves on the wood. I probably will split a few chunks along the way cause I want to. There were a few equipment steps along the way, but I didn't touch it.
20160117_095548.jpg

1. Logs into truck at scrounge site
2. Logs out of truck, I buck them on the way out and stack as rounds. I count that all as one "touch"
3. From the rounds stack to the splitting tire
4. Stacking the splits
5. Once to twice a week I carry half a pallet worth of seasoned splits from my main stacks to a small wood shelter thats outside the window next to my stove. Im looking for a way to streamline this part of the process.
6. Once a day I bring in a days worth of wood from my transfer shelter and stack it up behind the stove. My wife skips this step and opens the window every time she feeds the stove.
7. Feeding the stove

2 tons of bark and splitter shrap. goes right through the furnace. Whats the prob???

Good question. I've been burning wood for over 30 years and never thought of it before. It's fun to think about. Here goes:

1. fell tree
2. buck into rounds
3. carry rounds to truck
4. unload truck at house
5. split
6. stack
7. (after dry) carry to wood room
8. put in stove

There's an additional split for kindling.

Back