how may of you guys sell fire wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
free

Newfie,
I ask the costomer what they want done with the wood from the trees I cut. You could ask if this "Freebie" is okay with the costomer before you do it. I also have a phone list of guys asking where I'm cutting and can they have the firewood but I get the costomers OK first before I let anyone not on the crew on the jobsite and only after the saws are done.
Off the subject a bit but do you cut the limbs at 60 degrees to feed the chipper? They go in a heck of a lot easier with a skinny tip to feed in first.

geofore,

that's the way something like that should be done, with prior approval and professionally. But please don't charge me the going rate when you are saving yourself removal costs of the big wood, right?

Freebie wood

It has to be removed and you are responsible if it doesn't go. Come by one or two days later and see that it is. It is usually gone before the yard is raked around here. I would not go for the discount until the wood is gone and the costomer is happy. Sometimes it is the costomer asks if you give this away and don't have to haul it away can They have a few bucks off. Where is your comfort zone? Where do you draw the line on prices is up to you, you are in buisness and have a family to feed. Better way to figure it is what does it cost you to have the crew load and unload the truck and are you willing to give the costomer a break? Did you run over your time on this job and can't afford to give the break on price or was this job great and everything went smooth as silk?
I had a guy ask me that today, could he have a price for just leaving the wood and one for removing it. Now to the price, if I leave it he wants it all cut to 16"-18" and stacked over there and if I take it, it goes in the truck in 8'-10' lengths and goes to a guy that wants it and is willing to take 8'-10' lengths on the the way to the shop. What does it cost to just load it on the truck or buck it up and move it to the other side of the property and stack it for the costomer? What is your comfort zone? What does the costomer want at what price? What is your hourly rate for workers? What is your time worth and what is the costomer happy with?

well then you are still providing a service so you have to price for that I agree. But just leaving it roadside for ANYBODY andf charging the customer for that service is not right in my eyes. Two different ball games as I see it.

Freebie

Agree, it's two different ball games. Where does your responsibility to the coustomer end, where does the job end in your eyes? Does your agreement with the customer say to the curb with "Freebie" sign or remove wood from site and you leave it at the curb and fly. It goes back to manhours to do the job all the way not part way and that should be in the contract with the customer. Granted to leave it at the curb is cheaper but is it ethical or legal if you agreed to remove it? You are offering a service, how well you preform it makes a difference on whether or not you will get a call back or a good word of mouth recommendation to others. How you get the wood off the jobsite, whether you load it in your truck or one of your buddies trucks who wants firewood and he takes it, it is gone. Charging for removale and putting at the curb is a no-no, bad PR and you are not likely to get a good recomendation from any customer you screw or any jobsite you leave a mess at. Anybody who drives by and sees you leave a mess is not likely to call you for work no matter the price. The neighbors don't want the mess of the unsightly pile by the roadside, would you? My advice to this would be don't charge for what you don't do.

Oh- by the way,

Welcome to ArboristSite, Tree Machine. I see you already met the welcoming committee. :rolleyes:

We mean well, but usually don't pull many punches around here. It's all in the spirit of doing a better and safer job. :angel:

When Quoting a Job I Ask would you like to keep the firewood? Because like mentioned before if it stays it gets cut into 16-18" pieces if it goes it remains in 10-12' Logs It usually takes the same amount of time to cut it down to stack it or load it out the only difference is it requires more fuel to haul it and then it has to be disposed of. I just Love the people that Want a price to just put the tree on the ground. They might save a little money but Man I'd hate to have to dig all that brush out of the Pile With the logs Piled on Top. :eek:

in nyc every so often if i could not fit the job on my truck. i would leave wood in the street with cones arond it. always planning to be back the next day. there was plenty of times i got a phine call first thing in the am that the sanitation was threatening to write a summons.

another time when we were humping wood to the chipper (i knew it was more than the truck would hold) a nieghbor asked for the fire wood. so i had the guys carry it across the streer to get rid of it. the customer thought i was selling it and thought he was entitled to the money on the sale of the wood. i was jus giving it away to finish the job.

what tree machine's customers should do is change his sign to 10.00 a load. so they could defer their tree cost.

but even if all the wood is gone from the stree. does any one go back to sweep it?

after a while when ever leaving wood on a job i always left it ON the customers property. not the side walk or the street. what if some one trips and falls on the wood? who is responsible? if my cones disapear and a car drives into the pile at night , who is responsible? too many what if's. what if kids start rolling rounds down the block? etc

I've piled the wood on the street with a "FREE" sign a few times. It was always by prior arrangement with the customer. If hauling was going to be especially inconvenient for me then leaving it in the front yard with a sign was an intermediate price option between just leaving it lay and complete cleanup.

I would always start the bid with the clean job, then put a note in to the effect that some discounts are available for reduction of work.

Unless the job is wide popen, getting the tree on the ground only can be a PITA, so i would usualy state chipping the brush on most jobs. Big wood and fine raking are usualy the first to go.

Some people are flabergasted that I will knock off 20% to not handle the big wood from a back yard. "We'll just cut it up small enought to get it out of our way." A lot of times that was where all the real work was.

FREE firewood debate

WOW, you guys ARE the veritable grill committee, but I say that with love and respect. Thanks for the kind disclaimer, 165. You all bring up many good points. As far as "offering a discount to leaving the wood at streetside"... yes, always. I let the client opt for the savings, or not. If nay, the higher price is worth it for me to haul it off, but they almost always opt for the savings as long as the wood's going to leave, regardless. Also yes to putting it on the client's lawn inside the sidewalk line. Taking professional liberties to utilize city property without permission, a no-no. Public safety, yes. Replying to the 'mess of an unsightly pile', also a no-no. I led my reply earlier with 'cutting excellent quality pieces.... consistent length and NO STUBS'. The wood gets STACKED, not piled, and it stacks well because there are no protruberences (or is that protrusions, Nick?). This also answers Geofore's question about about cutting the limbs off at 60 degree angles for ease of feeding -- cutting the limbs off flush with the plane of the log achieves this (this is how to make firewood, NOT, I repeat NOT how I prune branches off limbs remaining on the tree) Passersby see a nicely stacked arrangement and they envision this alongside their own house. It doesn't really take much more time or effort to stack vs. pile It's part of the 'recycling' strategy, or finding a good home for the wood. Also, I like to get a few pieces out there as soon as possible with the FREE sign, early on in the job. If someone stops and I've got a bunch of pieces that haven't made it out to the stack, I'll get em on the landslide and wheel them right to their car or truck and assist helping them load up. Got a good number of new jobs this way and occasionally they want the chips, too (which are also FREE). Lastly, if there IS still a pile there by the time I get done (which there usually isn't) I tell them there's no need to pay me until it's all gone, and I leave them a self-addressed stamped envelope, OR "If it's not gone in 24 to 36 hours, you call me, and I'll come get it". In 8 years, I've never gotten that call because at that point its a small pile, otherwise I'd have called one of my firewood people. People taking the big rounds used to be a problem, but now I have an entirely amazing vertical splitter ONBOARD my chipper. I don't use it a whole lot, but it's an onboard warrior waiting to crack the big rounds into sizes people can handle (and there's no chance of kids rolling rounds down the street after I leave).
Sometimes the FREE thing is simply not appropriate, like on a high-traffic street, and I need to make that judgement call before offering the option. On my estimate sheet I always say "Price includes full cleanup and arrange removal of the firewood pieces". Arrange removal. Either somebody will take it, or I will. Bottom line, ALWAYS with the customer's consent, and they get first choice on any wood they might want. The word FREE, gentlemen, is a very powerful word. Quality wood is valuable, city or country and just about anywhere. If it's FREE, it's very worth it for SOMEONE. Lastly, don't expect even the most beautiful pile to spontaneously walk away - it takes a FREE sign to communicate clearly. Everyone understands free. It means "this is YOURS if you want it". Not taking biodegradable wood-based materials to occupy valuable landfill space I consider not only an environmental initiative, but an ecological responsibility. That's just me, though. Everyone's got different situations and settings and you need to use your professional judgement and do what is best for you and your clients.

The power of FREE

I never leave 'junky' firewood. If it's got ants or termites, or punky or half-decomposed, it goes with me. If you're going to leave it for Joe Anyone to take, be responsible, and use good professional judgement, otherwise the Karmic Cowboy Boot might come back around and kick you in the butt.

Originally posted by Mr. Firewood
Whenever I see wood along the side of the road with a free sign on it I stop and see if it is good wood or junk, if it is good I usualy take it. I don't see a problem with leaving it along the side of the road.

~Nate~

First place I worked we used to leave all the really junky stuff, willow, poplar, spruce, pine, at the side of the road in the ditch, and it was always gone within a day or two. Helps when it is a rural area where people burn a lot of wood. I suspect alot of it ended up in sugar camps and the like. I can see where the city, especially in a place like NY the bylaw people would be a little peeved.

cutting up

Thanks John Paul, my guess was either he has a small chipper or it went over his head ( hopefully not that last piece he stuck in the chipper). This is turning into a pool of to leave it or not. kf-tree, it is an insurance thing, I'd like to avoid anybody getting hurt from what I did or didn't do, clean it up to avoid this worry and keep the ins. rates down.

To FREE, or not to FREE

No, I get it Geo, in fact I totally agree with you on the ease of feeding the chipper with butt ends cut off at a slant. And yes, I DO have a small chipper, probably the smallest that could be classified as an industrial chipper. The smallness of it has forced me to deal with 6" diameter-and-up wood with an approach of efficiency, otherwise man-hours go up and income go down. I hope I don't sound like I'm encouraging others to do as I do.... I'm simply sharing with you all how it is I do it.

Calling me out by name!

circle_slash.gif
No results found for "protruberences"

We didn't find a match on "protruberences," but we found the following alternate spellings for you. Click one to continue your search.

protuberance

1. something that sticks out: something, or a part of something, that sticks out from its surroundings - the small fleshy protuberance that dangles down from the soft palate

2. fact of sticking out: the fact or condition of sticking out or being swollen or bulging

[Mid-17th century. Formed from protuberant bulging out, from, ultimately, late Latin protuberare , literally to swell in front, from tuber lump.]

Protrusions or protuberances, they both work. I learned a new word today!

Nickrosis

Protruberantless 16 inchers

To teach Nickrosis a new word, I feel like I've truly accomplished something. All those in favor of protruberant-free firewood, say AYE! Remember, friends don't let friends leave protruberances on their 16" lengths. Oh, and keep your fleshy protruberances out of this! :eek:

Latest posts

Back