How much are climbers making in your area???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of living is higher in Australia than in the US isn't it? I like to base my employees wages above cost of living. I remember what it was like trying to pay all the bills and still save some money to buy a house. If my employees respect me I respect them, and if they dont lie to me I keep them on.

Respect, quality, timeliness, and being responsible are my key job requirements. It seems to work for us here in the big O-Hi-O....

southern calif. 20+ years exp. crew leader, CDL, cert. arborist, most of my own equipment. Just got a dollar raise.17.00 an hour plus some cash incentives and I work for a really good company.

Sounds like you need to move. I cant imagine that S Cali is cheap to live. Around here I would get you in with your experience at a minimum $20.00. Although, everyone has to prove themselves on the jobsite first. I usually pay a good rate for the first day. If you impress me your rate goes up, if you are one of the many that have come through the door looking for work. One of two things happen.

You forgot your climbing equipment, borrowed mine, couldnt get up the tree. So I kick you to the curb. Usually these are the drunks..

Or you bring your equipment from 1974, borrow my climbing line, because I wont let you put your old hemp line in my customer's tree. You go to town get the work done well, I am impressed. I hire you and within two weeks you stop showing up to work, get drunk, and I fire you.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I get a climber who is awesome. Bring your own equipment, ask me which tree, what to do with it, and in the half the time you have the tree pruned and ask me which tree next. I have hired people on the spot like this and get really psyched.

Move out of your area if you are good. The money is out there in this business. Look for a medium sized tree company, not the big boys or fly by night guys. That way you know your going to get paid, have opportunity for advancement/ownership, and work all aspects of the business.

around here.............

if you have no equipment,no transportation,you're on drugs and/or are a drunk,you can make some serious money.

if you do not fit the discription above,no one will talk to you.

well,i suppose i see where you are coming from.

i get annoyed sometimes.especially when i listen to employers constantly complain they can't find good workers but all they do is hire losers to save money.

i just like to vent.i'm actually pretty optimistic and positive.just not always here.

this i why i never had employees and i am always on the job.sometimes i think it would be nice to work for someone else but i'm sure it has it's cons as well.

thanks,for listening :hmm3grin2orange:

i'll elaborate.

i hang out in the evenings at my buddies Mobil station.he and his father and i work together often doing tree work.great guys,some of the best. i prefer to work with them over anyone else.

many other tree guys we know come in and hang out and shoot the breeze.this is where i here all the complaining.they choose to hire guys that don't even have their own car or drivers license.then they wonder why they don't get decent workers.

i worked for one guy for a week on a big job.he meets us in the AM and sees whats going on,tells everyone what to do and leaves.literally as soon as he is driving away,the work stops and the weed comes out.i just sit and watch in amazement.the rest of the day i'm around people who are stoned out of their minds.i was not happy and i kept my distance.one guy i watched cut a stalk most of t he way through then he couldn't push it buy hand so he pulled the boom of the new bucket rtruck back and slammed it into the stalk a couple of times trying to knock off the chunk he cut.i asked myself why he didn't just finish the cut but then realized i was sober.

seems like paying a couple of experienced sober guys with some sense of reponsibility would be cheaper in the long run than a bunch of druggies that don't care about anything but themselves.

didn't mean to hijack the thread but i wanted to explain my mindset sometimes.

i hang out in the evenings at my buddies Mobil station.he and his father and i work together often doing tree work.great guys,some of the best. i prefer to work with them over anyone else.

many other tree guys we know come in and hang out and shoot the breeze.this is where i here all the complaining.they choose to hire guys that don't even have their own car or drivers license.then they wonder why they don't get decent workers.

i worked for one guy for a week on a big job.he meets us in the AM and sees whats going on,tells everyone what to do and leaves.literally as soon as he is driving away,the work stops and the weed comes out.i just sit and watch in amazement.the rest of the day i'm around people who are stoned out of their minds.i was not happy and i kept my distance.one guy i watched cut a stalk most of t he way through then he couldn't push it buy hand so he pulled the boom of the new bucket rtruck back and slammed it into the stalk a couple of times trying to knock off the chunk he cut.i asked myself why he didn't just finish the cut but then realized i was sober.

seems like paying a couple of experienced sober guys with some sense of reponsibility would be cheaper in the long run than a bunch of druggies that don't care about anything but themselves.

didn't mean to hijack the thread but i wanted to explain my mindset sometimes.
Get a video of that **** call it cheach & chong
tree service and put on Americas funniest video!

the sad part is...............

it's not the only one around here.someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed.drugs and alcohol have no place in our business.

two of his guys decided (in a drug induced haze i'm sure) that they were going out on their own.they called me today asking if i had any saws for sale with a 20" or larger bar so they could get a stalk down.i quoted them a price and they decided to save their money for later and went to rent one at HD.what scares me the most is someone actually hired them.

I got an older guy that works the ground for me and put us on to a job earlier this year. We took down one tree for this elderly couple then they called us back out again to take down two more Elms for them. The ground guy I mentioned had been working for another guy who did some tree work for the couple before they ever called us. My ground hand said he was up on the patio talking to the HO when the climber and other ground man sat down on a log in the back lot and fired up a joint. My ground guy said the older gentleman said he would never have these clowns back to work at his house. There are some real dandies out there, I'm telling you boys!

They can't keep the low prices rolling forever. I can remember back in 1963 or 64 getting 500 to 700 for a medium size dead ELM up in western N.Y. The new guys always hurt themselves by low-bidding. I believe tighter restrictions on tree insurance policies ( verifiable experience 4-5 yrs. ) . W.C. is tough down here . Dump sites harder to find. :monkey:

Most of the "tree companies" that I know around here don't have tree insurance. Either they can't get it, or they can't afford it. They get landscaper policies and call themselves a tree company. We're talking little guys though... the big guys play by the rules as far as I know. I know that when I went to get my insurance, I had to come up with a work history so that they could see I had experience, I had to provide them with a bunch of forms, and also an employee handbook.

As far as climbers go... I don't know what they pay for regular guys... I think about $20 per hour? if that. I know that when I go and work for other companies I don't walk away with less than $200 per day... and have gone up to $400 / $500 per day before.

Last edited:
I'm in Minnesota, I've 23 years experience. I do some of my own jobs, but 85% of my income comes from being an insured off the books subcontractor. I earn no less than $250 to leave the house and have earned as much as $1800 in a day. If you're reliable, proficient & efficient the sky is the limit, especially considering how many unreliable individuals there are. Companies tell me I'm the only one they pay 20% of the gross but I'm worth it. If particularly difficult job comes along companies who have in house climbers still have me do those jobs.

Yep, in Atlanta metro area about 250 per day for a decent climber.

But there are those hazardous jobs where a good climber will top 500 per day if he's fast.
Obama not a black stereotype... Still lives in government housing LOL

I don't even bother climbing for anyone else anymore. If you can't do the job, don't bid the work.

But if I did decide to do a job for someone else....I'm not even interested in putting my boots on for less than $500 and I really wouldn't even be happy to work an 8 hr day for that. That being said....I'm not one of those drugged up unreliable guys. I can do anything you need to have done without someone having to babysit me. I have at least twice the experience of anyone around here who might ask me to climb for them. I have my own insurance and equipment. And we're not doing it your way...we're doing it my way or I'm not doing it at all.....nobody around here would have a problem with that because I trained half of those guys. I'm absolutely someone who you want to have working for you...even for $500/day but....I have my own thing going on and I'd rather watch football on Saturday than work for someone else. :)

Back