How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Well, i clicked on well over a cord, but I've only burned a small amout of real firewood. By real firewood, I mean stuff I stack. I had a good cord+ of odds & ends, knots, and crotches. The suff I throw in a big wood box. It was nice having enough crotches to heat the house till Thanksgiving........ it almost feels like cheating !! :cheers:

About 1/3 cord. I didn't have any soft wood this year so I'm burning 80% Elm and 20% Red Oak.

It has been exceptionally warm here in SW Iowa this fall but the temps started falling last week so usage will go up.

Burned less than 1/4 cord so far, the bin in the pic holds a half cord and I had some leftover from last year I burned first(only been burning sine the week before thanksgiving)... if it weren't for lame spare the air no burn days we have here I would have a fire goin right now.

2010591990038709423S500x500Q85.jpg

It was a "spur-of-the-moment" decision to start burning again so I had nothing stacked, I'm burning as I cut, standing dead elm and old blow-downs... so far I've burned right about a cord, maybe a touch more and have well over a cord in reserve. Well actually "spur-of-the-moment" ain't correct... I had the LP tank filled last week of September and when I saw the bill it sort'a "spurred" the decision.

Right now the outside temperature is 14 degrees, but the house is a balmy 73 and I just added some more splits to the stove... I've got a 5 to 6 inch bed of coals built up to keep us warm through the night. I haven't run the LP furnace once yet... still have that full tank of LP... I'm thinking of it as an investment...

Two cords at least since the first fire. That does not include the Halloween campfire party.

Remember, I am using this stove to heat all that it can and I have taken no vacations. Instead, I cut, split, and stack firewood and get lots of exercise doing it. Thanks to that, I weigh the same as I did 25 years ago and can still wear the same clothes at 6-2, 200.

Now, would somebody please tell Arthur Ritus to leave me alone? :blob2:

I voted half a cord, to a cord. We are just now starting to see some colder temps and a little snow today. I burn Red and White Oak, Maple, Locust and Cherry.

About a face cord (1/3 real cord) total, consisting of cherry and now into oak the past week or two. Been burning since mid October, about a month and a half now and don't use the propane furnace at all. Low 30's at night, high 40's to low 50's by day. Two story house in wide open sun (and wind). EPA insert (Napoleon 1402).

Last edited:
Close to two cords here, but I'm a "wood slut" and most of that was Box Elder and Horse Chestnut. The last two weeks, I've been burning a mix of oak and elm, more elm if I'm around to tend the fire, and fill er full of oak when I go to work. I've gone through about 1/3 cord of this mix.

I'm over 4 cords on the year if ya count the 2 cords of box elder and pine that went through the fire pit this summer

Almost two cords of soft wood here. Started burning Labor Day. Suppose to have highs around 30* next couple days. I'll be digging into the oak.

probbaly a cord here, or 3-4 face cords. its been mild temperature wise.

i filled my woodshed for the first time on my own, my own wood dragged out of the woods. thirty some face cords and i dont know how many cords. Hate to see that stack be depleted, so a grab a log here and there, junk, whatever, to try to curb the reduction of my hard earned banked stacked wood!

A little over three cords of junk I cut three years ago. It did not improve with age. I still have some left but hopefully it will keep till spring. Starting to work on the Hickory now.

General rule in Northern New England is that it's a cord give or take by Thanksgiving.

Our first fire was back in August. Intermittent from then on through the end of Sept.

Probably sent about 2/3 of a cord up the chimney so far. Mostly dead and standing pine and punky wood. Just switched over to good hardwoods in the past couple weeks.

Ditto here WB. In coastal Downeast Maine, the cool has been up and down as usual. Since there is no central heat, the wood heat is it. It's the shoulder time for us, the many quick kindling fires just to get the bodies up to comfort level using up the kindling pick up sticks from splitting and woods walks.

BTW: I never even try to "burn" punky, or rotted wood; it has little if any BTUs for heat. No cellulose left. Dead stands may have some heat in them if not co0mpletely gone. That punky stuff is best left on the ground as fertilizer for future growth. That is my order WB, or N.H. will really be a Live Free AND Die place.:laugh:

How many of you are 100%, 24/7 woodburners -stoves or OWB or masonry ?
How many with oil/gas/electric central heating such as heat pumps or geothermal, heat up from 65 F ?
Another poll ?

SE Pennsylvania has been weird this fall. We had our first burn of the year in late October, with several steady burns since. But yesterday it hit 60 degrees. I figure the wife and I have gone through about a half cord so far. Absolutely zero oil used to heat the house, hot water only. We have a summer/winter hook up that supplies our hot water.:cheers:

2 cords so far mostly white ash and hopherbeam some silver maple , getting into my red oak , red maple and some more white ash in about 2 weeks .

We just had some weird weather here in CT got real warm now I woke up and its 32 degrees so the wood furnace is at full capacity again . :clap:

love my wood so does the wife :hmm3grin2orange:

I've used about 1/2 a cord since late october. Just fired up the stove yesterday and looks like it will stay on for a while. I was firing up the longwood once day previously.

About 1 full cord, We've been burning on and off for two months now. We have smaller children and dont like cold morning. We dont have a back-up heat source so its all wood. But I have about 3-4 cords stacked right out side the window, Makes it easier to deal with. Going out today to cut dead stander out to clean up the property.

I got a hook-up yesterday on some fruit cherry trees, Never messed with it before, It should be better than normal cherry wood right, wrong? Anyways buying the wood for $15 per truck load = about two ricks. looks easy to do they just want Me to leave the stump up 3' so they can pull them out. Leave the brush on the ground.

Latest posts

Back