How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
burned one split so far and its almost out :notrolls2: actually i have around a cord of my junk wood used,but now im starting to dip into the good stuff for these cold nights and high winds we are getting .il luse around 1-1.5 cords per month in my englander wood furnace from here on till spring
this equates to around 5-6 cords for the entire heating season and not one drop of PRO-PAIN or fuel oil for 3 years now !

Last edited:
3/4 cord so far, burning 24/7 since end of September, red and white oak, beech, maple, black birch; oil only for hot water

started sporadically to heat at night back around the first weekend of October. Now I start a fire every night when I get home, and load my insert (Dutchwest DW2500) before I go to bed and let it burn out as I don't have time to load it in the morning. I come home to 60-65 degrees every afternoon. When I am feeding it throughout the night, it will be in the mid 70's in the front half of the house (kitchen, bathroom, living room where the stove is) and in the mid to upper 60's in the back half (the bedrooms and my office) just the way I like it.
I'm at about 2/3 of a cord, mostly ash and some junk wood thrown in.
In a week or so, I may very well get up a little earlier to keep the fire going during the day while I'm at work.
I have a 1000ft ranch w/ a 1000ft finished basement. I'm gonna try to heat upstairs solely w/ wood, and only turn on the oil furnace for weekends away from home (set the 'stat for 50 to not freeze the pipes). The downstairs only really gets turned on for when I have the boys over to watch football and drink beer down in the mancave. I don't even need to heat the basement because of the washover heat from the oil furnace (for hot water) that cycles a few times a day.
As a single guy in his mid 20's, my neighbors find it fascinating that I heat my home w/ wood, as they are what most would consider the hoity toity type. They had no idea I did because I burn only seasoned wood at a controlled rate so there is never any smoke emitted from the chimney. They think it's funny and "hickish" that I have hedgerows of wood stacked around the perimeter of my back yard property. What's not "hickish" is the 3-4 grand I'll save. That money is already earmarked for a January vacation to Hawaii and a Mrch trip to Vegas!:chainsawguy:

You go girl.........sorry, meant was: "get a ____". Fires are too romantic to waste alone. Dial: 1-800-WOOD-HEAT.

How about now?

I've burned probably 2.5 cords now.
Started with a cord of old punky oak
then switched to poplar, bout a face cord,
then to more than a cord of cherry, hickory, red oak, white oak, dogwood, poplar, sweet gum, and some chestnut
and a yellow pine log here and there
except for the last two weeks, had a fire in the stove almost 24/7
with virtually no electric heating all winter

We started late in the season (december) due to the delay of the brick wall and hearth in and the installation of the liner. We've gone through a little over two cord of various types of hardwood. (bad door seal for most of that burning probably didn't help) With the new door seal, I'll imagine we might go through a little less.

Some of you guys are going to ridicule me for bad terminology but we have been through about 12 face cord so far, not bad considering where we live and burning strait wood for heat.

Gone thru 3+ cord to date. Have a bit about 1.5-2 cord to last through May. Come mid-march, the stove eats less.

A wet September resulted in our moving an additional cord into the barn.

Therefore might be a little close to perfect since there might be a few May/June days when its 60 out that we don't have a fire as long as ideal unless we burn wet wood

The next load I put in the basement will make 8.5 full cords. Have been burning pretty much 24/7 since mid October, burning nothing but red oak.
I am lucky to have a friend with a 160 acre red oak woods with 300 to 400 blown down trees. No matter how much I take out of there each day, he says it wasn't enough! Good guy! In this area, we have a lot of oak wilt that has killed possibly another 4-500 trees in this woods, so I wont be done out there for as long as I can still cut wood!
Which is a good thing, considering wood is my only heat source, and I am heating this screened in porch I call a home! :msp_scared:

Not Quite a full pickup bed full

we used a pickup full of oak to roast oysters at the beach thanksgiving weekend. looks like we are going to have another one on the 19th. otherwise we have only used the oven to take the chill off a few times this winter and its been extra cold . .:msp_lol:
but the weather has turned marvelous in the last few weeks

Have gone through about 3 1/2- 4 cord since Nov. 1st. Had 5 set aside for this winter. Looks like I'll come in well under that. Got plenty of wood, but I've had enough of winter..:biggrin:
:cheers:
Gregg,

Have used between 6-7 cord to date, will use 3-4 more would be a fair guess. Overall I am pleased, one of the years that I have not started to worry if there was more winter than wood ahead.

Here in northern Mn. where the temps seem to have been nothing but north of 10 below or colder...2 weeks of 15-30 below..anywho it's been a colder winter..been burning since the end of Oct and I've not heated with anything except wood all but for when I went to the Ice show in St. Paul for the weekend. 5 cords...and it looks like March ,April and May will require another 2 cords.

Our lakes do not loose their ice until mid April so we can keep frost in the ground up to June.Hopefully I'll make it...now if these gas prices keep going up I'll need to start hooking or something to make those ends meet.Just paid $3.40 a gallon...

Here in northern Mn. where the temps seem to have been nothing but north of 10 below or colder...2 weeks of 15-30 below..anywho it's been a colder winter..been burning since the end of Oct and I've not heated with anything except wood all but for when I went to the Ice show in St. Paul for the weekend. 5 cords...and it looks like March ,April and May will require another 2 cords.

Our lakes do not loose their ice until mid April so we can keep frost in the ground up to June.Hopefully I'll make it...now if these gas prices keep going up I'll need to start hooking or something to make those ends meet.Just paid $3.40 a gallon...

Just a note of advice, never try hooking in your home town. You can stand on the corner all day and everyone will just wave and say hi.

all we heat with is wood and we have burned over 8 cords of hedge and still burning everyday...im tired of winter...............

Back