How much did you spend on free saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High-Wall

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stihl 028 - stripped muffler threads on 42mm cyl.,old style oil pump, acetone resistance varnish in fuel tank, points, crank seals, carb kit, crank rope, fuel line & filter. Bar & chain were 75%. About 175.00$ later, saw looks like a rescue saw (orphan) & runs like one.

I just spent $1.68 for a new trigger for a 2013 Cub Cadet 4 cycle weed eater that was given to me. Was using it today until the rain forced me inside.

I was given a 346 badged saw with a 353 top end with a 346oe ring on the piston. So far I've replaced the ring, but I still need a clutch cover and a top core too.

My 3120XP was a freebie, new OEM P&C, main bearings, gaskets and seals, carb kit, fuel line and filter, complete starter assembly, and new top cover later I almost have her back to like new. On yeah and a new 42" .404 bar and chain, can't forget that $200.00 either. I need to find all the receipts but I would guess somewhere in the $600.00 to $700.00 range. Wanted one for a long time though, plus the enjoyment of bringing her back from the dead.

Joe

My husky 350 $14.99 p & c from hl and $55 bar and chain runs great so far only 3 or 4 tanks of fuel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

stihl 028 wood boss, 20 bucks for the nova chip module and 10 for a carb kit, just sold it for 200 bucks, so -170 spent.

FWIW, had about 5 hours of cleaning into it

Fixing some things is priceless.
I've spent more on tools and parts to fix something that I wasn't willing to throw away.
Call it pig headed but there's a certain satisfaction that comes with fixing things that at the end of the day you can hang your hat on.

my first builder was an MS460, by the time I was all done I was more than $850.00 deep in it, but I learned how much fun it was and that saw got a ton of new parts, last year it got loaned to a subcontractor while we were all eyeballs deep in storm damaged trees and the next time we used it, the climber was bucking a big log and it started screaming, luckily Carlos is a smart dude and shut it down immediately. I finally put it on the bench last week after thinking my sub buggered up my saw and discovered I rebuilt it with MS440 oil seals instead of MS460 because the dealer told me they were the same. Ten minutes later with the proper seals she runs like a top and no damage to the p/c :) so at this point I am probably close to 900.00 into a free saw, but I learned a lot
Dave

Sold a pair of 429CJ heads to a local man no longer in logging business, he gave me a 262xp, 42special, 3- 242xp. They will run, they look like they were used logging, and they all need NLA parts. I sold the heads too cheap! So free X's 5 =$?

Back