How much do you burn in 24hrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
My indoor rack is 22x24 and I burn between 1 and 2 of those a day depending on outside temps.

How much do you burn?

Ian

My indoor rack is 22x24 and I burn between 1 and 2 of those a day depending on outside temps.

How much do you burn?

Ian

I don't really measure it that way, but I will use about 2 cords of wood for the month of January heating exclusively with wood. I use about 9 cords a year.

So right now I am at just under 1/2 cord per week.

We use around a a wheelbarrow load a day not heaped. I have an area a 1/6th of a cord where we stack our wood. That lasts about 4 to 5 days in this weather. When temps are warmer that same load will last a week or more. Dad has an older stove and his house is much smaller and he burns about 2-55 gallon barrels of wood a day. This year we will be in the 5.5 to 6 cord mark.

I don't really measure it that way, but I will use about 2 cords of wood for the month of January heating exclusively with wood. I use about 9 cords a year.

So right now I am at just under 1/2 cord per week.

Ok, assuming 2 indoor racks a day, I burn 1/3 cord per week. That's with wood as sole heat source.

Ian

Last edited:
My average for this burning season is .0178181 of a cord/day.

I've been thinking about how much I burn a day also. I can store 300 splits easily in my basement near the stove. It's been really cold and 300 lasted me 16 days. I haven't calculated the cubic feet yet, but will. I burn 6 cords pr yr max. We do run the furnace some, only when it's near or below 0

We use around a a wheelbarrow load a day not heaped. I have an area a 1/6th of a cord where we stack our wood. That lasts about 4 to 5 days in this weather. When temps are warmer that same load will last a week or more. QUOTE]

That's almost my exact scenario... I'll add that I'm burning 100% RedOak as it's all I had this year.

Last edited:
how much wood do you chuck

assuming I use average sized 1/4 split pieces, I'll burn through 72 pieces per day. That's 24 pieces per filling, 3 times a day. Comes to about a cord every 12 days. I guess now looking at those figures I better recalculate my needs for next year since we start using the OWB in Sept and can run it till June 1st.:curl-lip:

What's everyones square footage? We are heating 2400sqft plus the basement which is 1200 along with 10' ceilings.

I load the 1557 2-3 times a day depending on how cold it is, burn a heaping full size truckload every 15-20 days once again depending, this is the first year that 1/2 of the wood used isn't poplar, mostly white oak and beech, last charge on the 21st @ 11pm , 4degrees outside and had windows cracked open till bout midnight, still haven't refilled the furnace yet house is @ 78 and the furnace fans are still pushing air, I just love not having the oil delivery truck in my driveway, too bad for those that do , guys I work with say that its no cheaper to burn firewood, they will just pay the man, but, every time we get a cold snap that really drives up the heating bill, then the whining begins!!!

24 x 44 with full basement..

But supliment wood with natural gas.. saves when too lazy to put wood in fire. So hard to really use my consumption.

Have electric in shop -- but it has chimney for wood stove so putting stove in for next year.

I dunno if an OWB counts, but I'll burn 3/4 of a cord a week when temps are below 20°....And that is heating 2 houses and keepin the garage at 50°. Still better than buying oil! :cheers:

I have a owb heating my roughly 2,000qft house and md dads double wide . and all the domestic hot water , I go througth 3 to 4 heaping wheel barrows roughly every 24 hours of mixed woods alot of it is poplor .

heating 1200 sq.ft. a cord of mixed r.oak, jack pine an poplar lasts close to 6 weeks.. thats with an average temp of 10 degs. f. burning 24/7.... my rack inside is 3.5x3x16" and will last 4 good days ran empty.. the fire box is 18"x18" x 30" home made stove thats 30 years old.... house temp stays at 75degs steady.

I burn about 1 wheelbarrow full per 24 hours in my OWB, I used about 15 face cords last year, that's hot water too.
I keep the house at 72° all day, and turn it down to 68° at night.

House is very well insulated, 2 x 6 outside walls, and good thermal windows.
It's a ranch on a crawl space.

On Edit: My house is 2000 Sq Ft.
Going to install a lead to the barn this summer, that should increase my wood consumption for next year.
Barn is about 2200 Sq Ft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back