How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand how these guys figure price when selling by the "rick" if one guy wants 4'x8' x12" and one guy wants 4'x8' x20" that's a lot of wood difference? That is why if anything it should be at least be sold by the cubic foot, it's not that hard to figure out with a calculator. If a cord is the legal measurement 128 cubic feet, the word "rick" should be replaced by the words 1/3 cord or 42.6 cubic feet. If people don't understand, explain it to them, it's only fair to both the seller and the buyer.

I cut all my wood 16". If you call me and want 12" or 14" I'm going to charge you more then I get for 16". I'll have to keep the wood in a seperate place,keep it apart when loading, and work around iut when I am delivering. Total PITA. I did have a member call and get a price on 15" wood. He got a good price because he wanted 2 cords and an order that big filled the trailer and made an easy delivery.

Scott

For me it cost me just as much time, fuel and effort no mater how long the pieces are.
I get most of my wood free from tree company’s that are looking to give it away, and it comes in pieces that are cut to all kinds of lengths. Very few people around here can use wood over 20” anyway. So I shoot for 20” but they can be as short as 16” and I have stacks of 16” pieces and stacks of 20” but most of my stacks are mixed. If they want a certain size I’ll pull it out and stack it separately for them but the price stays the same. So my cords are 4’x 16’x 16”-20” lengths.
Anything shorter then 12” goes in the chunk wood pile or I sell as bagged wood.

Dennis

So my cords are 4’x 16’x 16”-20” lengths. Anything shorter then 12” goes in the chunk wood pile or I sell as bagged wood.

Not true.... Perhaps YOUR cords are that size but a cord is universally measured at 128 cubic feet. With 16" lengths you only get 85.33 cubic feet and 20" lengths only yields 106.66 cubic feet. You would need 24" lengths in order to make a full cord. If you are representing the above stack as a full cord you are misrepresenting your product and cheating the buyer.

With 16" logs you are only selling .66 of a cord and 20" logs is only .83 of a cord. Pretty good profit margin...

Last edited:
Not true.... Perhaps YOUR cords are that size but a cord is universally measured at 128 cubic feet. With 16" lengths you only get 85.33 cubic feet and 20" lengths only yields 106.66 cubic feet. You would need 24" lengths in order to make a full cord. If you are representing the above stack as a full cord you are misrepresenting your product and cheating the buyer.

With 16" logs you are only selling .66 of a cord and 20" logs is only .83 of a cord. Pretty good profit margin...

Your rite about my cords not being a full cord as 128 cubic feet but your wrong when it comes to taking advantage of my customers. I explain to them how it cost me the same to process the wood no mater what size it is and they make the decision weather they want it or not. Like I said, not many can use 24” wood so they are happy with what I have.

I’ve called every wood seller in my area and everyone sells wood differently. Some call a truck load a ½ cord some call it a rick, some call it a rack and still others have it in baskets and say it holds a given amount. If you ask them what the diminutions of a cord is they seem to have the rite answer but when you look at what they are selling it’s not a full cord if you go by cubic feet.

I have never had someone use a tape measure and measure the size of my stacks and try and calculate how much wood they are getting. But I explain what a legal cord is and tell them why my cords are the size they are and they seem to be happy with it. Those that don’t like it are free to walk away. In my adds I use the word stack instead of the word cord so I’m not cheating anyone.

Last edited:
Your rite about my cords not being a full cord as 128 cubic feet but your wrong when it comes to taking advantage of my customers.

A cord CAN ONLY BE 128 CUBIC FEET. If you are representing any amount less than 128 cubic feet to be a cord you are engaged in fraudulent practices. It is for this exact reason that a cord is strictly defined and firewood sold in increments of a cord. By the way, it is "you're right" and "you're" wrong.

I explain to them how it cost me the same to process the wood no mater what size it is and they make the decision weather they want it or not. Like I said, not many can use 24” wood so they are happy with what I have.

Your processing cost has no bearing on the amount of wood contained in a cord or some fraction thereof.

I’ve called every wood seller in my area and everyone sells wood differently. Some call a truck load a ½ cord some call it a rick, some call it a rack and still others have it in baskets and say it holds a given amount. If you ask them what the diminutions of a cord is they seem to have the rite answer but when you look at what they are selling it’s not a full cord if you go by cubic feet.

And people wonder why there are government regulations???? If everyone is selling wood and claiming it to be something that it isn't how long will it take for the government to become involved and regulate the industry so no one gets cheated? As I stated earlier, the terms ricks ranks, piles, face cords, truckloads, etc. are not a valid measurement of a quantity of wood.

I have never had someone use a tape measure and measure the size of my stacks and try and calculate how much wood they are getting. But I explain what a legal cord is and tell them why my cords are the size they are and they seem to be happy with it. Those that don’t like it are free to walk away. In my adds I use the word stack instead of the word cord so I’m not cheating anyone.

Once again, you are not selling a cord so your use of the term cord in your "add" (the proper word is ad) is deceptive unless you are selling 128 cubic feet or a clearly defined portion of a cord. Real business people tend to adhere to best practices and will go to great lengths to explain to the customer what they are receiving for their money. Those that are only interested in making a quick dollar will sidestep these practices and obfuscate the transaction by using the term cord but delivering far less than that amount.

Step up and run a legitimate business and tell your customers that the 16" "cord" is really .66 of a cord and the 20" "cord" is really .85 of a cord. Remember, a cord is 128 cubic feet and if you are using the term you need to deliver the goods.

Simply put, your customers are getting "ricked" off.....

Last edited:
Obviously you just want to argue, I clearly stated that I do not call my stacks cords and I explain this to my costumers as well. No where do I represent my stacks as a cord. I say I have a stack of wood cut to (x) and here is the price for that stack. Here is where I’m offended by your remark. You said
A cord CAN ONLY BE 128 CUBIC FEET. Step up and run a legitimate business and tell your customers that the 16" "cord" is really .66 of a cord and the 20" "cord" is really .85 of a cord. Remember, a cord is 128 cubic feet and if you are using the term you need to deliver the goods.

Simply put, your customers are getting "ricked" off.....

If I’m not claiming to sell by the cord and I don’t call it a cord and I disclose what a true cord is and what the deference is between the two are then I am being truthful and not ripping people off. Just because I don’t sell a full 128 cubic foot stack does not mean I’m a crook. If anything it says I’m honest and truthful about what I’m selling.

So where is the rub?

One could also stack there wood loosely and short there costumers as well. So just because it is 4x16x24 doesn’t mean it’s a cord ether.

Obviously you just want to argue, I clearly stated that I do not call my stacks cords and I explain this to my costumers as well. No where do I represent my stacks as a cord. I say I have a stack of wood cut to (x) and here is the price for that stack. Here is where I’m offended by your remark. You said

If I’m not claiming to sell by the cord and I don’t call it a cord and I disclose what a true cord is and what the deference is between the two are then I am being truthful and not ripping people off. Just because I don’t sell a full 128 cubic foot stack does not mean I’m a crook. If anything it says I’m honest and truthful about what I’m selling.

So where is the rub?

One could also stack there wood loosely and short there costumers as well. So just because it is 4x16x24 doesn’t mean it’s a cord ether.

You have to be patient with GS... He's got that pissed off skunk in his Sig. for a reason... :hmm3grin2orange:

Obviously you just want to argue, I clearly stated that I do not call my stacks cords and I explain this to my costumers as well. No where do I represent my stacks as a cord.

I am not trying to argue but simply attempting to get you (and the others) to understand that there is a universally accepted measure for firewood (cord) the same as there is for petroleum (gallon) or apples (bushel). Why would you not deal in that measure so you will know what you are selling and the buyer knows what they are receiving?

As far as calling your "stacks" cords, I am only responding to your claims of selling cords. To wit:

Your rite about my cords not being a full cord as 128 cubic feet
But I explain what a legal cord is and tell them why my cords are the size they are and they seem to be happy with it.
So my cords are 4’x 16’x 16”-20” lengths.

I say I have a stack of wood cut to (x) and here is the price for that stack. Here is where I’m offended by your remark.

So how much is in your "stack"? How is it piled and what amount do you tell the customer they are receiving? I would find it impossible to run a business without knowing how many units of a product I was selling and the costs associated with preparing it. Sorry you are offended, but why the deliberate attempt to not sell in cord or fractional cord units?

See your own statements above regarding the use of the term cord. If you are not selling by the cord, what measure are you telling the customer they are receiving? Is it a "stack"? If so, is the "stack" the same today as the one you sold last week or last year? How much wood is in a "stack"? Do your competitors also sell wood in stacks and if so are they the same size as yours? Why not be honest and give them the fractional measurements of a cord you are selling so they can determine whether your pricing is in line with the competition?

No matter how you measure it, your wood does not stack up to a cord....

You have to be patient with GS... He's got that pissed off skunk in his Sig. for a reason... :hmm3grin2orange:

Not only do I have to teach people units of firewood measure, I also have to put on my naturalist's hat in order to explain the difference in species. :dizzy: Skunk on the top, badger on the bottom. If you ever encountered a badger, you would immediately know the difference.

Striped_skunk.jpg
badger9DarinSmi747be8460.jpg

Last edited:
I am not trying to argue but simply attempting to get you (and the others) to understand that there is a universally accepted measure for firewood (cord) the same as there is for petroleum (gallon) or apples (bushel). Why would you not deal in that measure so you will know what you are selling and the buyer knows what they are receiving?

As far as calling your "stacks" cords, I am only responding to your claims of selling cords. To wit:

So how much is in your "stack"? How is it piled and what amount do you tell the customer they are receiving? I would find it impossible to run a business without knowing how many units of a product I was selling and the costs associated with preparing it. Sorry you are offended, but why the deliberate attempt to not sell in cord or fractional cord units?

See your own statements above regarding the use of the term cord. If you are not selling by the cord, what measure are you telling the customer they are receiving? Is it a "stack"? If so, is the "stack" the same today as the one you sold last week or last year? How much wood is in a "stack"? Do your competitors also sell wood in stacks and if so are they the same size as yours? Why not be honest and give them the fractional measurements of a cord you are selling so they can determine whether your pricing is in line with the competition?

Not only do I have to teach people units of firewood measure, I also have to put on my naturalist's hat in order to explain the difference in species. :dizzy: Skunk on the top, badger on the bottom. If you ever encountered a badger, you would immediately know the difference.

Striped_skunk.jpg

I know, I know.... But that thing in your sig is the skunkiest looking badger I've ever seen... You need a different picture... Here...

attachment.php

Yours looks like it has a bad hairpiece...
:big_smile:

Striped_skunk.jpg

Well Sr. you seem to be very good at using quotes from my previous post to suite your needs for an argument. But you conveniently left out the parts where I explained what I call a stack and how much is in it. I used the term “Cord” as an example in my post but you seem to want to pick it apart and argue every word instead of seeing the obvious and letting it be. If you can’t see my point about how and what I call a stack then your not as smart as you think you are!

Please don’t reply and correct my spellin again. I don’t care if I miss spelled something, most people with any since will understand what I said. I don’t need a spellin listen from you, thank you very much!

Dennis

If they don't know what a cord is when they got there then how do you think they will know the difference anyway? Do you really think most people give a crap? They see a "pile" of wood and that's about it. As foir ripping people off, it takes 2 to do that, just 1 is smarter than the other. I'm still selling my wood by the trailer load, I don't care how much is on it, don't like it then buy elsewhere. And I don't explect the wood cops are gonna show up either.

Well Sr. you seem to be very good at using quotes from my previous post to suite your needs for an argument.

I don't see an issue, you wrote it as it appears and and I merely quoted it. Sorry that you do not stand behind the remarks now.

But you conveniently left out the parts where I explained what I call a stack and how much is in it.

You call your wood a "stack" but back home we call this a stack. That is the problem with using non standard nomenclature, there is no agreement on what it is.

images

I used the term “Cord” as an example in my post but you seem to want to pick it apart and argue every word instead of seeing the obvious and letting it be. If you can’t see my point about how and what I call a stack then your not as smart as you think you are!

I am smart enough to know what a full cord is and not be ripped off by itinerant sellers who refuse to sell based on that amount.

Please don’t reply and correct my spellin again. I don’t care if I miss spelled something, most people with any since will understand what I said. I don’t need a spellin listen from you, thank you very much!

The sad thing is that the forum software will underline any misspelled word in red and even give you suggestions on correcting it. I guess that I was brought up in a different era where one took pride in their work, even if it was the written word. However, now I am curious as to what a "spellin listen" is....

I don't see an issue, you wrote it as it appears and and I merely quoted it. Sorry that you do not stand behind the remarks now.

You call your wood a "stack" but back home we call this a stack. That is the problem with using non standard nomenclature, there is no agreement on what it is.

images

I am smart enough to know what a full cord is and not be ripped off by itinerant sellers who refuse to sell based on that amount.

The sad thing is that the forum software will underline any misspelled word in red and even give you suggestions on correcting it. I guess that I was brought up in a different era where one took pride in their work, even if it was the written word. However, now I am curious as to what a "spellin listen" is....

If you don't want a rick, don't buy one. If you want a cord and think that what I gave you insn't right, we'll measure it. If something happened and it doesn't add up, I'll get you some more. I had a guy tell me that I sold him 128 square feet. I wasn't sure what to say to that.
People deal in different measures in different regions. I doubt most people out here know what a rick or face cord are. I don't see any point in dealing in that nomenclature. We do cords or portions thereof. $160 a cord dry mesquite. $180 a cord dry pecan. $200 a cord dry oak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back