How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are going to get spanked for talking in truck load quantities! :p;)
Not really. My customers know how big a pickup truck is and most have no idea how big a cord of wood is. A lot of this was caused by the terms, "face cord" and "full cord."

In October, I delivered a truckload of wood with my Ranger. The customer said, "Thank you, Edwin. That's almost twice as much as I thought you were going to bring. I only wanted a cord."

You guys are going to get spanked for talking in truck load quantities! :p;)

Been sellin cord wood for years. Every time someone buys a half cord and loads it in there truck, It always equals a full load for a full size truck, Short beds it's over the bed rail. I pull from a measured stack 4'x8'x20'' and it always equals a truck load. So using a truck to judge a half cord is not far off.

Since there is so many folks with a chainsaw selling wood on this forum, i'd like to get a feel what a cord is worth nowadays.

I live in the city and get a face cord split and deliver for $95 each. Lenght is 12". It seems the price goes up $5 every year.
Where are you located Fyrebug? (fellow Ontarian)

you talking a true cord or some of the "cords" you see on this site ???

Most people are not so anal that they insist on exactly a full legal cord.
Most understand that splits cut at 24'' are to long for most fire places or wood stoves.
I measure my splits be eye and they end up somewhere around 18'' to 20'' in length.
The few inches missing on the ends doesn't seem to bother most people.
Now if your cutting shorter wood like say 16" then you would need 3 stacks 4'x8'x16'' to equal a full legal cord.
I charge more for a full cord of 16'' splits because it is more work to split the extra amount to equal a full cord.
When I stack green wood, I stack it to about 5 foot tall. By the time it's seasoned the stack will shrink down to about 4' tall, maybe a little over 4'.
Labor is the biggest cost in producing firewood, so more labor equals a higher cost.
"ALL" my wood is stacked in 1/4, 1/2, or whats called a face cord.
People are invited out to look, feel, smell, touch the wood. There welcome to buy or keep shopping. There choice.
My wood is what it is, you look, you like, you buy. If not, thanks for looking. Have a great day.
Only the most frugal, anal bargain hunters will walk away empty handed.

Here is an example of how I stack my wood for sales.

9vd3ds.jpg

Here is an example of how I stack my wood for sales.

9vd3ds.jpg
This idea fascinates me. Each stack division could be resting on one 4' x 4' pallet. The stack could be 6' high with two rows, and then I would have a truckload almost on the money. The roofs would have been great last year with all the rain we had because drying conditions were deplorable. I really need to strongly consider this option. Two thumbs up!

I also sell buy the basket. I always end up with chunks of odd sizes but it's great wood. I scored some baskets and sell them for $110 each.
Each basket is 48''x48''x40'' just shy of a half cord by cubic feet. A basket will fill a full size truck level with bed.
These baskets make great storage for firewood. They won't rot, rust and can be stacked.
The first picture are my baskets. I added another picture I saw online where someone used the tubs for a rain shelter. Pretty good idea.
1zbudd5.jpg

14dn7ms.jpg

I've tried many ways to cure, store and have wood measured and ready for sale.
Here is a picture of one my wood racks I built out of recycled lumber. It's divided into 4'x4'10'' sections and holds 10 cords.

2zthvll.jpg

Here is another way I stack and store, sell wood.
I built some light weight racks that are easy to move around and set up easily.
These racks are 8'x4' with a divider in the middle.

einuwy.jpg

Problem with that is you'd need easily 5 acres to season enough wood for a year. I'm on 5 acres and barelybhavevenoughbroom to store logs even. Usually have 300-500 cords of logs in the yard. I move on average 10 cords a week.

I also sell buy the basket. I always end up with chunks of odd sizes but it's great wood. I scored some baskets and sell them for $110 each.
Each basket is 48''x48''x40'' just shy of a half cord by cubic feet. A basket will fill a full size truck level with bed.
These baskets make great storage for firewood. They won't rot, rust and can be stacked.
The first picture are my baskets. I added another picture I saw online where someone used the tubs for a rain shelter. Pretty good idea.
1zbudd5.jpg

14dn7ms.jpg
Anybody with a potbelly stove or a top loader would love this basket storage idea because they love short lengths that don't stack well. I have three customers that beg for shorts and I never seem to run out of them, once all the other logs are cut 16" to 18". The shorts also dry faster.

Roofs over them and pallets underneath all seem to be in order as long as we keep getting this extra rain. It would also help when the snow returns.

Back