How much firewood do I need for next year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the winter with the woodshed better than 1/2 full and would've been short had I not kept cutting. 'Course I always cut thru the winter 'cause I like it and it keeps me ahead of the useage curve.
I've struggled, this winter, to get ahead of the curve and done good to keep at an even keel, staying 5 or 6 truckloads above what I'm using...I aint getting ahead.

Get your transom and level out 'spider and stockpile all ya' can,,it'll cut down on 'yer mowin' this summer and give ya' more time for boxes of beer next winter!!

I'll post a picture or two of my depleted and haggard wood piles... when the friggin' snow melts enough to see 'em‼
They ain't pretty no more... and they ain't much to brag about either.
And I can't start cuttin' until I can get equipment (or even walk) into the woodlot... likely a minimum of two more weeks (if we get sun and warmth).
Heck, just walkin' to the burn barrel requires snow shoes.

i guess the going rate of how much to have on hand of seasoned wood per winter would be 10-15 cord :dizzy: :chop:

Well we have had couple warm days pass through, and missed getting white stuff last night. Still got 2'+ out the back or front door. We are in sweater weather today 20's with a 5-15mph variable wind out of the NW, around 8 tonight for a low. Got a 1.5 cord apx dry- under 18% wood under shelter, Another cord+ externally wet/frozen that will defrost/ dry to apx 18% or better exposed at present so should be able to carry on into May. I didn't fill the stove the last 2 nights coal bed was enough. Will be loading it up this evening though.

red_man_plug.jpg
I tried it, but it didn't work. It turned me green.
Like this?
th
:D :D :D

Hello, Is this the Police Station?'

'Yes. What can I do for you?'

'I'm calling to report 'bout my neighbor Jack Murphy...He's hidin'
marijuana inside his firewood! Don't quite know how he gets it inside them logs, but he's hidin' it there..'

'Thank you very much for the call, sir.'

The next day, twelve police officers descend on Jack's house. The search the shed where the firewood is kept.

Using axes, they bust open every piece of wood, but find no marijuana. They sneer at Jack and leave.

Shortly, the phone rings at Jack's house.

'Hey, Jack! This here's Floyd....Did the Police come?'

'Yeah!'

'Did they chop your firewood?'

'Yep!'

'Happy Birthday, buddy!'

(Rednecks know how to get'er done)

I had 3 semi loads of soft wood delivered which will be gone by mid summer, we burn year around at altitude.

Took me a month to process it. Not continuously, felt like it.

I need about a semi for a mild year, which we have had. So 3 years would be 5 semi loads.

There is plenty out there for free, by my calculations it would be 100 loads in my F150. I do not have far to go to get it, but a few weeks at least to catch back up.

All you got to do is watch for woolly bear caterpillars in October.
This October seemed like 100s were trying to get indoors or to any warmish shelter.
My wood stacks had 100s of them inside and still do so winter not gone yet.
As soon as I saw the little fur beasts everywhere I knew winter was going to be nasty.

Not much help In October for collecting firewood in time but those caterpillars are never wrong.
Watch Indians also LOL

It's weather like we're having today that is killin' me on woodcuttin'..Beautiful blue skies, 18 degrees and the ground is mud under about an inch of frozen dirt.
I scored 3 loads last week and 4 loads the week before when the ground was frozen and I'd be hammering it this week if the ground was solid enough to get out..
I gotta' get some wood cut and stacked in the shed, it's 16x25 foot and is nowhere near full and,,,and,,,,it's almost time for FISHIN'!!

Back