How much firewood do you keep just outside your house, and how do you keep it dry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an upper deck on my bi-level so I fill under it with wood stacks and tarp it.
View attachment 217019
This is a summer pic but now its all full.
I also fill my garage with ready to go wood. Both are within 20 ft of the fireplace.
View attachment 217020
Then I stack a 4 ft row on each side of the fireplace three foot high and that lasts a work week and I restock from the other piles as needed.
Wood shed is being built this spring. 15x20 with a sheet metal roof.

We've got about 61/2 cords about 12' from the house. Another about 8 now 10 yards from that. I have about 3 days in the house3 wheelbarrows outside to bring it in. 4 piles are covered by tarps, mostly doubled by the better green ones. One is trippled. Poles from saw mill against piles to try and keep flaps down, but wood usually dries out by itself. If not put beside the Tempwood overnight. Stove, downdrafter, is amazing. Been using one since 1977!!

I keep a cord or more in the shed and some covered. the shed will hold more but stays dry in the rear and leaves room for my saws and other tools. In dry weather I just burn from the closest stack.

I keep about a rick on the porch... AKA 1/3 cord.... There's an ass load in the barn. When ever mama gets low, she sends the slave, AKA "my son or myself" out to replenish as needed...
:hmm3grin2orange:

Same here, I keep about a rick outside the front door in 2 rack, covered with tarps.

Hedgerow, if I may digress, what's the biggest difference (or should I say advantage) to the 9010 vs the 7900? Is the extra hp worth the extra powerhead weight? (I've got a 7900)

My 12 cords are covered in the back yard. Back of the house has a sun room, with floor to ceiling rack that holds three wheelbarrows' worth. I use that to keep the wood box in the living room full. That box holds about a day's worth for a cold day, couple of days when it's not so cold. In warm weather, the rack in the sun room can last a week; really cold weather with both wood stoves going, it can be gone in four days. I try to arrange it so that I'm moving from the stacks to the sun room on a dry day.

Same here, I keep about a rick outside the front door in 2 rack, covered with tarps.

Hedgerow, if I may digress, what's the biggest difference (or should I say advantage) to the 9010 vs the 7900? Is the extra hp worth the extra powerhead weight? (I've got a 7900)

Big bars... It has the ability to balance, oil, and absolutely OWN a 36" bar...other than that, none... The 7900 is just the bomb!!!

Shared this in another thread today:

I have 2 airport cargo carts,complete with the curtains on the sides.I bring one up by the back deck and use it until it is empty.Then I pull it to the wood shed and let it sit and bring the other full one up.When I get time I fill the empty one and its ready to go again.I got those carts for $65 each a while back at an auction.Each one holds a little over a cord.

Shared this in another thread today:

I have 2 airport cargo carts,complete with the curtains on the sides.I bring one up by the back deck and use it until it is empty.Then I pull it to the wood shed and let it sit and bring the other full one up.When I get time I fill the empty one and its ready to go again.I got those carts for $65 each a while back at an auction.Each one holds a little over a cord.

That's cool!

All you need is one of those airport Tugs now.

I keep about 2 cord in a shed by the house , and 2 more for next year at the top of the garden ( only 45 ft long) .

I have a basket i fill each evening with logs and a box with pallet type wood each day.

I have about a weeks worth during the coldest time, in a converted shortbed truck trailer.

Then we have a small 3x3 or so wood rack on the porch so we can grab wood without going to the trailer.

i keep about a 5' high by 4' long rack of firewood in the house (lasts about 3 days with my wife burning it) and the rest is on my piles out in the yard. I have an old tarp I tie over the pile in my driveway for the winter ( 3 cords worth). one of my son's chores for the week after school is bringing in 10 pieces of firewood.

3.5 cord in a house attached shed. Usually 4+ stacked within 10 feet of the back of the house.
We get BIG snow here and its alot easier real close to the house to deal with in the dead of winter.

Our woodshed is about 800' from the house. I try to stack the wood there in either pallet racks (1/3 cord) or homemade rack that hold a half cord. I bring them one at a time right into the garage with the tractor forks. Those last up to two weeks. For the wood that I don't have the racks for, I load it into one of the 10 cu ft garden carts and pull it into the garage with the 4wheeler. One of those loads lasts 3-4 days.

I keep about 3 days worth in a rack in the front hall. If the forecast is for a few days of bad weather I make sure it is full, otherwise I just top it up with an armfull whenever I'm walking past the woodshed towards the house.

attachment.php

I built a "wood shed" just 15' outside my back door. It measures 4'x8' with a roof, 3 sides and is open in the front. The wood gets stacked 6' high in it (1.5 cords). The rest of my wood is stacked in the side yard and we restock the woodshed with my MF 202 loader. If we are careful about stacking the wood in the bucket, it will hold a quarter cord of wood.

Last edited:
1/2 cord by the front door, 3/4 cord on the back deck, a few cords further back and then the main supply a few hundred yards away.

Only the first two are covered.

Back