How Much is a Straight Gassed Dolmar PS 4600 Worth???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
On my other post, I'm asking the forum about a nice second hand PS6400 that is for sale nearby. During my search, I came across a guy that is selling a PS 4600 that has been straight gassed and has a burnt piston. He is asking $120.

Big question is what is the worth of a PS4600 in the condition it is currently in. I was considering taking on the project and rebuilding it to resell. I'm kind of new to the Dolmar/Makita family of saws, but I am hooked now since buying my EA4300 and using a couple of other Dolmars recently. Previously I used mainly Stihl and some Japanese saws (Tanaka, Hitachi and Echo).

Anyway, which other saws in the Dolmar/Makita lineup are in the same family (which have same P&C or other interchangeable parts)? I'm trying to get a handle on how to sort out the numbering logic and crossover between Makita and Dolmar saws.

Cheers,
Dan

Update: just spoke with the guy and he will give it for $90. He says they straight gassed after only 2-months of usage.
Some pics attached....I guess the other parts are in that bag on the floor beside the saw.

Attachments

• Dolmar 4600 Gassed.JPG
    Dolmar 4600 Gassed.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Dolmar 4600.JPG
    Dolmar 4600.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 48
460-510 chassis is an aluminum version of the 5100 chassis, with lower rpm coil. Money wise, I don’t see you coming out great in a rebuild that converts it to something else. Maybe you will make out ok if you put in a new piston and clean up the existing cylinder, if you can. But retail on a used 460-510 is not high and won’t leave much room for profit.

460-510 chassis is an aluminum version of the 5100 chassis, with lower rpm coil. Money wise, I don’t see you coming out great in a rebuild that converts it to something else. Maybe you will make out ok if you put in a new piston and clean up the existing cylinder, if you can. But retail on a used 460-510 is not high and won’t leave much room for profit.

That's why I love AS so much....you can always find knowledgeable folks! I just ran a price check on a new Makita 460-38 and they run around 420 EU.

Looking at the German Makita site, they seem to suggest this is in the same category as my EA4300F, which has the magnesium case according to Makita and the product information sheet. Can't read German to verify though.

If the cylinder is savable and you want a 45cc saw then i would do it.
Great little saw

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm a buyer for the 4600s if its still for sale. Just depends on shipping cost.

The saw is not a PS-460. It's basically a 5100s with a 43mm bore vs 45mm. Magnesium cases, 14,500 coil, plastic handle bar.

Update: just spoke with the guy and he will give it for $90. He says they straight gassed after only 2-months of usage.
Some pics attached....I guess the other parts are in that bag on the floor beside the saw.
He should maybe send you a picture of the cylinder walls if he can. I mean the top end is off anyway. I'm not knowledge on Dolmar/Makita saws. I know a place around here that sells Makita saws and they seem very solid with all of them, except the very bottom end of their line, have metal cases. The same place sells a DCS460-45 for a little over 200 Euros, currently on sale. The DCS7901, the 6,2 HP saw, is currently under 400 Euros. I probably wouldn't get a saw that's been straight gassed for any substantial amount of money, especially if someone who isn't me, already took it apart. There is no guarantee the parts in that bag are complete. Also I think, that straight gassing a saw can tell you something about the care the owner put into it and there is also no guarantee, there's something else wrong with it. Of course, silly mistakes happen even to the best of us and that particular saw does look fairly clean. I just don't really understand the whole concept of straight gassing. I put Stihl HP oil in my mix and it makes the fuel unmistakably red. Someone, who puts straight gas into a new saw is probably an idiot or hasn't read the manual. Someone who straight gasses it after two months probably just doesn't care much. I did see the aftermath of someone putting bar oil into the fuel tank of a Husky once. Didn't kill it though, but this thing was smoking like a steam boat.

If the cylinder is savable and you want a 45cc saw then i would do it.
Great little saw

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think it is a pretty nice little saw with some of the same features as the pro saws. It appears that Makita has followed Stihl's lead and went the Farm/Ranch label instead of semi-pro for this model of saws. I'm sort of thinking to just rebuild it and keep it. I think the guy will let it go for $60 or $70.

I'm a buyer for the 4600s if its still for sale. Just depends on shipping cost.

The saw is not a PS-460. It's basically a 5100s with a 43mm bore vs 45mm. Magnesium cases, 14,500 coil, plastic handle bar.

Would it be possible to source a 45mm P&C OEM kit for it? I'm currently looking at the same style of upgrade for a 6400 to a 7900 on a Dolmar saw. On those models the saws are identical except the P&C.

If I decide to buy it and want to pass it on, I'll let you know.

He should maybe send you a picture of the cylinder walls if he can. I mean the top end is off anyway. I'm not knowledge on Dolmar/Makita saws. I know a place around here that sells Makita saws and they seem very solid with all of them, except the very bottom end of their line, have metal cases. The same place sells a DCS460-45 for a little over 200 Euros, currently on sale. The DCS7901, the 6,2 HP saw, is currently under 400 Euros. I probably wouldn't get a saw that's been straight gassed for any substantial amount of money, especially if someone who isn't me, already took it apart. There is no guarantee the parts in that bag are complete. Also I think, that straight gassing a saw can tell you something about the care the owner put into it and there is also no guarantee, there's something else wrong with it. Of course, silly mistakes happen even to the best of us and that particular saw does look fairly clean. I just don't really understand the whole concept of straight gassing. I put Stihl HP oil in my mix and it makes the fuel unmistakably red. Someone, who puts straight gas into a new saw is probably an idiot or hasn't read the manual. Someone who straight gasses it after two months probably just doesn't care much. I did see the aftermath of someone putting bar oil into the fuel tank of a Husky once. Didn't kill it though, but this thing was smoking like a steam boat.

Those are some really cheap prices for chainsaws. I can't get 7901 for less than 700 Euros here in Greece. Even in Germany I can't find one that cheap. I found a "Like New" one from Germany on eBay and they are asking 679 Euros (here). I will ask the guy to send me some pics of the cylinder.
The guy told me that it was a mistake with gas. He and a friend were working and he told the friend to mix the gas and the friend thought he said he had already mixed the gas. Anyway, I understood everything after speaking with the guy, so I just want to see the saw first hand also. "Some assembly required and batteries not included" is cool with me, but extra parts and missing parts when I reassemble isn't good. Its not the first time I've seen this happen. I saw a guy do it last year because he was stealing gas from another guy....instant karma!!!! Of course, I always get the feeling that some of these guys are partaking in libation before and during work. That could always be a factor as well.

Cheers,
Dan

Those are some really cheap prices for chainsaws. I can't get 7901 for less than 700 Euros here in Greece. Even in Germany I can't find one that cheap. I found a "Like New" one from Germany on eBay and they are asking 679 Euros (here). I will ask the guy to send me some pics of the cylinder.
The guy told me that it was a mistake with gas. He and a friend were working and he told the friend to mix the gas and the friend thought he said he had already mixed the gas. Anyway, I understood everything after speaking with the guy, so I just want to see the saw first hand also. "Some assembly required and batteries not included" is cool with me, but extra parts and missing parts when I reassemble isn't good. Its not the first time I've seen this happen. I saw a guy do it last year because he was stealing gas from another guy....instant karma!!!! Of course, I always get the feeling that some of these guys are partaking in libation before and during work. That could always be a factor as well.

Cheers,
Dan
It's always a friend/neighbour/brother in law who broke it, never the guy himself. Starting to see a pattern there. :) If he comes down from 90 bucks to say 60 I'd probably get it, if the rest of the saw is fine. I actually just restored a plated cylinder with quite a bit of piston transfer on it. I don't know about the situation in Greece, but Dolmar/Makita parts can be harder to get than Stihl/Husqvarna, especially the small stuff. So if he lost some screws during disassembly or something... It has been said before here, but I don't think these saws have a high enough resale value to make money on. Especially if you end up having to replace the top end.
Those saws are crazy cheap. They've had them on clearance for about two month, apparently they bought quite a few and not many people actually buy them. And this place is legit too. I buy parts there pretty often and keep waking past those saws they have on display. I would have gotten one myself, but I honestly don't need one at this point.
They even carry a top handle Makita for about 140€.

If like 166 has said this 4600 is basically a smaller bore 5100, it would make a great parts saw for a 5100/5105. That alone would make it worth $60-$70.
If you could get it running for not much more that's a bonus.

I think it is a pretty nice little saw with some of the same features as the pro saws. It appears that Makita has followed Stihl's lead and went the Farm/Ranch label instead of semi-pro for this model of saws. I'm sort of thinking to just rebuild it and keep it. I think the guy will let it go for $60 or $70.

Would it be possible to source a 45mm P&C OEM kit for it? I'm currently looking at the same style of upgrade for a 6400 to a 7900 on a Dolmar saw. On those models the saws are identical except the P&C.

If I decide to buy it and want to pass it on, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Dan

It could be swapped over to the 45mm setup. But if I had it i'd get the stock 43mm piston and cylinder for it.

Wow, learned something! Was not a US model, correct?

Yes that saw was never imported over here. The PS-4600S turned into a PS-4605 the same time as the 5105 was released.

So back in 2005-2009 there were 3 closed port saws in that series.
PS-4600S - 14,500 - 43mm bore - Warm Red Hood
PS-5000 - 13,500 - 45mm bore - Warm Red Hood
PS-5100S - 14,500 - 45mm bore - US / Canada model w/ black hood
All Magnesium Cases

Open Port models - 2005-2009
PS-460 - 13,500 - 43mm bore - Warm Red Hood
PS-460 - 13,500 - 43mm bore - US / Canada model w/ black hood
PS-500 - 13,500 - 45mm bore - Warm Red Hood
PS-510 - 13,500 - 45mm bore - US / Canada model w/ black hood
Aluminum Cases

June 2009 is when the PS-4605 & PS-5105 started production.

Dolmar Cyl.jpg Dolmar Cyl1.jpg Dolmar Cyl2.jpg Dolmar Cyl3.jpg

Got the owner to send some pics of the cylinder. The pics are horrible, but from what I can see it doesn't appear terribly bad I do see what appears to be some scoring around the exhaust port. I'll just have to check it in person and see what the damage is. I might go tomorrow. I need an oil seal for my Kia anyway, so it'd be a dual purpose trip.

It's always a friend/neighbour/brother in law who broke it, never the guy himself. Starting to see a pattern there. :) If he comes down from 90 bucks to say 60 I'd probably get it, if the rest of the saw is fine. I actually just restored a plated cylinder with quite a bit of piston transfer on it. I don't know about the situation in Greece, but Dolmar/Makita parts can be harder to get than Stihl/Husqvarna, especially the small stuff. So if he lost some screws during disassembly or something... It has been said before here, but I don't think these saws have a high enough resale value to make money on. Especially if you end up having to replace the top end.
Those saws are crazy cheap. They've had them on clearance for about two month, apparently they bought quite a few and not many people actually buy them. And this place is legit too. I buy parts there pretty often and keep waking past those saws they have on display. I would have gotten one myself, but I honestly don't need one at this point.
They even carry a top handle Makita for about 140€.

Its always easier to point the finger at the other guy! I can't get over the cheap price of the saws you are talking about. The only way we would get a saw here that cheap is if it were Chinese made. All things in Greece have a high resell value, unless they are gas guzzlers, made cheap or don't have a high brand loyalty. Makita has a big brand loyalty here. The prices of used Makita tools really reflects that. For chainsaws, its the same around the world I guess--the big names are Stihl and Husqvarna. The other companies are competing for the rest of the market share.

Sounds like that place that is selling the saws is really taking a loss on their products. It doesn't seem feasible to have the saws at such a low price. I found a Dolmar 109 and 102 brand new never sold and they are asking around 300 Euros each.
Makita Prices.JPG Makita Prices1.JPG

Its always easier to point the finger at the other guy! I can't get over the cheap price of the saws you are talking about. The only way we would get a saw here that cheap is if it were Chinese made. All things in Greece have a high resell value, unless they are gas guzzlers, made cheap or don't have a high brand loyalty. Makita has a big brand loyalty here. The prices of used Makita tools really reflects that. For chainsaws, its the same around the world I guess--the big names are Stihl and Husqvarna. The other companies are competing for the rest of the market share.

Sounds like that place that is selling the saws is really taking a loss on their products. It doesn't seem feasible to have the saws at such a low price. I found a Dolmar 109 and 102 brand new never sold and they are asking around 300 Euros each.
View attachment 621537 View attachment 621538
Interesting. Makita is a well known chainsaw brand around here as well and parts can be found as well, but in other parts of Europe it's often different. Scandinavia is all about Husqvarna. Especially entry level saws are often cheaper in Russia. A Stihl MS180 is around 160€ brand new, much cheaper than in Germany. They are Chinese made anyway these days. Here's the website of that company. It's all in Russian though and prices are in Rubles. One Euro is almost 70 Rubles at this point so that's the conversion rate. http://www.arrows.ru/catalog/benzopilyi-7897/0
They are actually an authorized Makita dealer. The prices that are in that big blue font are for valid for online orders, the small black ones are what you'd pay in their retail store. Huge difference. The thing is though that you can order online and go pick it up in the very same retail store and pretty much pay half at this point. I find that funny.
Looking at the pictures of the cylinder it looks pretty good. My guess is it will clean up well. The scoring doesn't appear to be deep.

Well, unless the fella calls me back and decides to accept my offer, I won't be going after the Ps4600. It wasn't in as good of condition as I had hoped for. The cylinder had some rough patches that I'm afraid I can't simply hone out. It appears to have seized pretty good. So, cost effective wise, it might be cheaper just to get another saw. That, and seeing as though I already have a 43cc saw, the 46cc wouldn't do much for me that the EA4300 can't do already.

I appreciate all the help, advice and conversations. Cheers to All!!

Interesting. Makita is a well known chainsaw brand around here as well and parts can be found as well, but in other parts of Europe it's often different. Scandinavia is all about Husqvarna. Especially entry level saws are often cheaper in Russia. A Stihl MS180 is around 160€ brand new, much cheaper than in Germany. They are Chinese made anyway these days. Here's the website of that company. It's all in Russian though and prices are in Rubles. One Euro is almost 70 Rubles at this point so that's the conversion rate. http://www.arrows.ru/catalog/benzopilyi-7897/0
They are actually an authorized Makita dealer. The prices that are in that big blue font are for valid for online orders, the small black ones are what you'd pay in their retail store. Huge difference. The thing is though that you can order online and go pick it up in the very same retail store and pretty much pay half at this point. I find that funny.
Looking at the pictures of the cylinder it looks pretty good. My guess is it will clean up well. The scoring doesn't appear to be deep.

I just checked your site and I can't believe the price difference you get over there. Basically, you can get a PS6400 for the same price I paid for my EA4300. I'm looking at a couple of used Dolmars/Makitas and they are asking the same prices for well used models that you guys are buying them new. I guess one factor is that our taxes are 1/4 of the total price. For a saw that has a total price of 700 Euros, we are giving about 175 of that in taxes.

Back