How Much is Too Much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jafa.. o.k... Wasn't seeing clearly last night!

Nope - U.K. - born in Norwich, immigrated to NZ in 1961, spouted wings (1.5 million frequent traveler miles on Delta Airlines alone..!), left NZ around 1980 for Japan... chased a woman to USA (Montana) a couple of years later, caught her... now live just outside of Seattle.

Lakeside53 said:
Jafa.. o.k... Wasn't seeing clearly last night!

Nope - U.K. - born in Norwich, immigrated to NZ in 1961, spouted wings (1.5 million frequent traveler miles on Delta Airlines alone..!), left NZ around 1980 for Japan... chased a woman to USA (Montana) a couple of years later, caught her... now live just outside of Seattle.

Then that must be one hell of a strange accent you have!

I'll throw in my .02. If your cutting technique has you screaming the saw at 13k in the cut....... pull out your flat file or gear up.

If the saw has to maintain that speed..... fix it.

Max power is TYPICALLY not at a lean setting. It's a little fatter than that.

Fred

Ok Fred you build ported saws and they excead the max power ratings of the stock specs. I know that leaning out a saw is Bad. By porting your saw you are gaining rpms plus power,
and because it is ported does it also help with cooling by more flow.

My cuting technique is just fine and I do not let my saw scream in the cut.
and I can sharpen my chains just fine too. I am not a cull. I am not... a cull

Last edited:
wagonwheeler said:
My assumption was (assuming this was in fact true of course) that the chain drag/friction acts as a limiter and that if a saw max rpm is set for a given drag, reducing that drag can allow max rpm to be exceeded.

Chaser
Agree, that is my assumption also, and nothing that has been said here contradicts it, as far as I can see..... :greenchainsaw:

I also believe that a larger sprocket, at least partly, will compensate for the shorter bar, as it loads the engine more, and so will lower rakers.

Anyway, I believe the safest way is to tune the saw with the shortest bar that you are going to use, if the differences are within reason.

If there is a large difference, I believe that you will have to retune, when changing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back