How much money do you have tied up into your saws and accessories?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now if your going all out with logging supplies.. have to add this to my tally.

refurb/repowered 1959 Case Terratrac 800C: $13,000
stihl 036 Pro: $400 only used to cut 1 cord.
new chokers: $200
Currins lineman boots: $625
climbing gear: $200
old redwing caulk boots: $40
enough leather conditioner to make caulk boots usable again: $15
shipping supplies: $300
the list keeps going on.

"$0.00"

Well I use my saws for "Homeowner" stuff and have all my chainsaw , chinsaw tools , chains - bars , log splitter , $4,000. truck ,$3,000. wood stove and the woodstove is the KEY . All my stuff is paid for and my gas bill in the winter went from $200-300. + a month in the winter years ago to $20. a month now. I have burned woood for 20 years so i guess i have NO $$ in my stuff now. The woodstove(s) have paid for it all . :cheers:

I do keep a spreadsheet on this, but all in all, including the other tools I've bought to work on saws I'd say about £2000 that's £1 = $1.80 ish. If Italy still had a currency it could be a cool million:laugh:

Guess I can chime in.....

460 cost me $800 with 20", 28" bars and two chains for each.

066 cost me $250, and then $229 for new piston and cylinder, and misc. bolts and thread inserts.

260 cost me $275, and then $45 for the oiler, $43 for GB Pro Top bar, and $40 for one RS and one RM chain.

$350 for the GB mill, and 3 28" riping chains and 1 20" ripping chain. And then about $30 for the unistrut and bolts to make slabbing rails.

I just scored a 20" and 28" GB Titanium bar off Ebay for $101.

$150 for bench mount file guide.

$150 for 36" bar and two RS chains

$80 for 4' peavey, and $56 for 2' peavey, chaps, wedges, and all the other misc "stuff."

Rspike said:
Well I use my saws for "Homeowner" stuff and have all my chainsaw , chinsaw tools , chains - bars , log splitter , $4,000. truck ,$3,000. wood stove and the woodstove is the KEY . All my stuff is paid for and my gas bill in the winter went from $200-300. + a month in the winter years ago to $20. a month now. I have burned woood for 20 years so i guess i have NO $$ in my stuff now. The woodstove(s) have paid for it all . :cheers:
That's AWESOME! I too only heat with wood...The only gas consumption now is for the HW heater. Much of this will also pay for itself.:D
Ron

SawTroll said:
Far too little, as I still manage to buy only what I need, and not everything I can make an excuse for. :bang:

I think this is the best response, man how true is that. I finally am getting my wife broken in. The other day she went to a garage sale without me. here is the quote I almost bought you a craftsman chainsaw they had there but I did't know if it was one you would want. :heart: :angel: :p God I love that woman.
ecspecially because she know I already have " a couple of saw around"

Buck

Im With Roo.....

I probably spent $900-1000 on assorted saws since last fall, mostly old classic Homies.

I have also spent roughly $500 for parts lots off of the bay so figure $1500 total.

Ive fixed and resold about 10 saws witch went for anywhere from $65-150 and about $500 in parts sales. I figure Im breaking even on costs with a lot of new toys to show for my effort.

Also factor in that I do 70% of my heating with free wood:clap: and am constantly doing work for neighbors, Who cant stand paying my prices and allmost allways insist on paying me more (Beer, Food, Favors, old Saws, Money) And this is the best hobby I evar had. :rock:

Most PPL pay for their hobby, My hobby pays me!:D

RaisedByWolves said:
Most PPL pay for their hobby, My hobby pays me!:D

Good Motto.

Mine started out that way. I made me enough cash to buy the saws i have now, so basically I have "my" saw and they didn't really cost me anything.

But as of late, I keep finding deals that I cannot pass up.

I've probably spent $1000-1500 or so on saws, bars, parts, etc and haven't really sold much to recoop those costs...

Guess I need to wait til firewood season to list a few on ebay. lol

Cost of my saw and 'peripherals'?
About $550 USD, I think. Joe homeowner gets off cheap.
It has paid for itself already, a few times over.
"A good tool pays for itself".

Way too much! I just sat down and penciled everything out...three saws,chaps,tin hat,axes,wedges,boots,gas and oil cans,gas and oil on hand,skidding tongs,peavey,chokers,chains,first aid kit,lunch box,thermos,...geeeeez. :sucks: :laugh:

RaisedByWolves said:
...and allmost allways insist on paying me more (Beer, Food, Favors, old Saws, Money) And this is the best hobby I evar had.

Ditto...

I've progressed... One guy (who is also an AS member) pays me in fantastic home brew beer that's really dang good and knocks my socks off. 9.1% is more than I'm used too.... Wonder why they call it "night train"???? :hmm3grin2orange:

is $0 an acceptable amount for 5 saws and a trimmer and access to free parts if i need them??

Sorry guys i just wanted in on the conversation

Back