How much time-off am I allowed??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it many times over the years , when you stop being active, you will age quickly. N the older you are the quicker the results. That's why even if you do take time off, you still need to remain active. So get out there and split n stack some more firewood. It's better than any workout you could get from a gym. N to keep you toned up a bit, try to keep up with the 5 year old. It's either that or get all soft n fluffy, so much so that you won't even be able to pick up a chainsaw.

So get out there n split some wood, build something, tear something down, chase the 5 year old, get out the shovel and move some dirt or gravel or any other number of strenuous activities. It'll keep you young! :msp_w00t:

Well I seem to be the perfect example of this then. I took last year off and ran my pile down to my last face cord before Spring set in this year. Whew, that was close! I haven't cut or split a thing in two years...

I came across a beautiful elm a local and his brother brought down to open up his yard and bring in some sunshine. They dropped it, limbed it and sectioned most of it to 14" - 22" logs. It's 42" at it's base! Best of all, it's free and just for me! He has a number of other trees they're going to drop through this summer and next and has promised it all to me with no requirement for when to get it. He and his brother stack the logs along the tree line after cutting them up so all I have to do is drive to the pile and load up. They could easily sell this, but they act like I'm doing them a huge favor, so I do my best to clean up and help.

Now the shocker... I nearly passed out after unloading the second truck at my house and it seems every load gets harder and harder! 2 years ago, my wife would have to hide my keys to get me to stop, but now I can't hardly go more than a load or two and I'm done. WTH happened to me?!?!

After years of hand splitting everything (I use about 2 cords a year, mostly because we just enjoy putting in a fire...) I went out and found a deal on a 25-T splitter this weekend and put up the first cord today. (Man, that was easy but I sure missed out on a lot of good exercise!) As much as my pride told me I wanted to hand split it all, I decided to be smart about this one and not risk an exploding chest pump, hence the new toy.

As my Mom used to say, gettin' old(er) ain't for sissies. Well, I'm feeling a little girlie all of a sudden... I've started getting up in the AM to go for a walk and doing the same in the evenings. Even that has me huffing, but it has to get better soon. That, or I'll drop and won't know the difference anymore and will have wasted the money on the splitter anyway... D'oh!

Well I seem to be the perfect example of this then. I took last year off and ran my pile down to my last face cord before Spring set in this year. Whew, that was close! I haven't cut or split a thing in two years...

I came across a beautiful elm a local and his brother brought down to open up his yard and bring in some sunshine. They dropped it, limbed it and sectioned most of it to 14" - 22" logs. It's 42" at it's base! Best of all, it's free and just for me! He has a number of other trees they're going to drop through this summer and next and has promised it all to me with no requirement for when to get it. He and his brother stack the logs along the tree line after cutting them up so all I have to do is drive to the pile and load up. They could easily sell this, but they act like I'm doing them a huge favor, so I do my best to clean up and help.

Now the shocker... I nearly passed out after unloading the second truck at my house and it seems every load gets harder and harder! 2 years ago, my wife would have to hide my keys to get me to stop, but now I can't hardly go more than a load or two and I'm done. WTH happened to me?!?!

After years of hand splitting everything (I use about 2 cords a year, mostly because we just enjoy putting in a fire...) I went out and found a deal on a 25-T splitter this weekend and put up the first cord today. (Man, that was easy but I sure missed out on a lot of good exercise!) As much as my pride told me I wanted to hand split it all, I decided to be smart about this one and not risk an exploding chest pump, hence the new toy.

As my Mom used to say, gettin' old(er) ain't for sissies. Well, I'm feeling a little girlie all of a sudden... I've started getting up in the AM to go for a walk and doing the same in the evenings. Even that has me huffing, but it has to get better soon. That, or I'll drop and won't know the difference anymore and will have wasted the money on the splitter anyway... D'oh!

That is precisely why I refuse to get a hydraulic splitter. The same for a riding mower to clip the grass, and some kind of a dirt mover like a bobcat to move dirt or gravel. N think of all the money I saved. Whatever for a decent splitter, riding mower or lawn tractor, and a bobcat. I'm thinking in the range of say $30k for all of those, maybe even more. I'll stick with my axes for wood splitting, my push mower for clipping the grass, and a shovel n smallish cart for moving dirt n gravel. But then I'm more on the retired side and don't do any of that for a living (I'd starve to death)

Last season I felled, limbed, bucked, and split the rounds of figure 8 and a half cord. I expect to to the same or better this coming season. But, here's the clinker. I have enough hardware in my back to stock a small hardware store (my neighbors refer to me as the bionic woman) I also have some hardware in my left hand, but that's not all. I have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders that I refuse to have surgery done on (I think I've been cut open enough for one lifetime) With my back having been broken I have virtually little to no feeling in my feet and legs but if you were to watch me walk, you couldn't tell. N I have no issues riding my motorcycle or my truck with a standard transmission. I have adapted! So while I may be up there in years a bit (I'll be 62 come September) I have remained active. And in doing so, I don't look (or act) my age. I have a scant few wrinkles unlike most my age. My sister has wrinkles on wrinkles on wrinkles n she is a few years younger than I. But she was converted to a city girl many decades ago. She looks 80 while I've been told I look to be in my 40's. I'll attribute that to remaining active. But I'm not one of those health nuts either.

My brother passed away at the ripe old age of 45 due to a bad coronary. But he wasn't all that active. He was an over the road cattle hauler and died while cleaning out the trailer he hauled cattle in.

N yep, I feel a bit girly ............... cuz I am! :D I'm just not one of those girly girls!

Along the lines of what FLHX said, on cutting the wood, cut enough to keep the saw in shape, split and stack just enough to keep you in shape. No need at all to go at it hot and heavy. That's to much like work.

Dogs eating habits I know little about.

That is precisely why I refuse to get a hydraulic splitter. The same for a riding mower to clip the grass, and some kind of a dirt mover...
Last season I felled, limbed, bucked, and split the rounds of figure 8 and a half cord...

I can only wish it were that simplistic, but for many of us it ain't.
It ain't laziness, or an unwillingness... it's about "time".

I work 40-50 hours a week at a job that can be quite physically demanding at times. Then, using two ride-on grass cutting machines I still spend 3-5 hours a week "clipping" grass this time of year (when the grass grows a half inch a day); if I was using a walk-behind I'd be mowing every single night until dark... I flat don't have that sort of "time". Up here, at the "new north pole :D", I burn your "8 and a half cord" each winter, most of it elm and Bur Oak... spending an hour with a sledge and wedge for an armload of firewood just ain't an option. I need to make 8 or more cord of firewood each year just to break even. In the simplest terms, without hydraulics I wouldn't be able to heat with wood, there just wouldn't be enough available time to make enough firewood.

There just flat has to be enough time left over for all the other "things" that need to get done. And don't discount the time it requires to be a parent; not just the time spent interacting, but the time to attend activities, functions and whatnot. Yeah, staying active is good for the body, mind and soul, but there has to be a healthy balance, there has to be some kick-back time also... all batteries need a recharge at some point. I mean, really, how far do you take it?? If it's all about staying active, about physical activity... well... you could give up your chain saw for an axe and buck saw, "clip" your grass swinging a sharpened blade mounted to a stick.

As far as the earth mover.
I must have strange shaped/sized hands; I've never found a shovel, rake, hoe or whatever to fit my hands properly... they all just seem to slip clean out of them :D Heck, I've even tried those "gripper" gloves and it weren't no help at all :D

I can only wish it were that simplistic, but for many of us it ain't.
It ain't laziness, or an unwillingness... it's about "time".

I work 40-50 hours a week at a job that can be quite physically demanding at times. Then, using two ride-on grass cutting machines I still spend 3-5 hours a week "clipping" grass this time of year (when the grass grows a half inch a day); if I was using a walk-behind I'd be mowing every single night until dark... I flat don't have that sort of "time". Up here, at the "new north pole :D", I burn your "8 and a half cord" each winter, most of it elm and Bur Oak... spending an hour with a sledge and wedge for an armload of firewood just ain't an option. I need to make 8 or more cord of firewood each year just to break even. In the simplest terms, without hydraulics I wouldn't be able to heat with wood, there just wouldn't be enough available time to make enough firewood.

There just flat has to be enough time left over for all the other "things" that need to get done. And don't discount the time it requires to be a parent; not just the time spent interacting, but the time to attend activities, functions and whatnot. Yeah, staying active is good for the body, mind and soul, but there has to be a healthy balance, there has to be some kick-back time also... all batteries need a recharge at some point. I mean, really, how far do you take it?? If it's all about staying active, about physical activity... well... you could give up your chain saw for an axe and buck saw, "clip" your grass swinging a sharpened blade mounted to a stick.

As far as the earth mover.
I must have strange shaped/sized hands; I've never found a shovel, rake, hoe or whatever to fit my hands properly... they all just seem to slip clean out of them :D Heck, I've even tried those "gripper" gloves and it weren't no help at all :D

I would never hold it against someone for owning, borrowing, renting, a wood splitter. I know there are a lot of things to factor in like being in the firewood business for starters. Then there are those that live at the New North Pole like yourself that go through firewood like it it were so much water. :msp_smile: Or other big responsibilities like family, jobs, and taking care of their property which I know a lot of people on here have rather large plats by comparison to mine. N some just aren't physically able to split wood by hand any more. I know my time is coming. :msp_scared:

I'm just saying what I do n I sure as heck don't expect anyone else to do the same regardless of how full their platter may or may not be. But if y'all want to thwart the ravages of time, remain as physically active as you can for as long as you can.

BTW, I really want one of those sharp blades on a stick (scythe) I used to use one when I was young and dang could they ever cut. N I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get a nice double bit axe and try my hand at felling with it. Maybe felling a tree with a buck saw! :msp_biggrin: (face cut with the axe, n back cut with the buck saw) Did I mention I'm not conventional? :laugh:

Now as for your "strange shaped/sized hands, I think you'll find it easier to grip something if your take off those overstuffed insulated mittens y'all wear at the New North Pole. :msp_biggrin:

The reason the one stack is leaning is kind of due to it's age. But more because of those Oklahoma winds (tornado's) It's the after effect!

As for taking time off, nope! Don't do it! The best way to stay in condition is to remain active. So, my suggestion is this, take 10 or 12 cord and load it on however many 54 foot trailers and send it to me. That way you'll have plenty of room for any new wood you would cut n split. See, a perfect solution! Heck, I'll even send y'all the ashes when I'm done. :msp_w00t:

Not every day a woman offers to haul your ashes for ya! I've et coon, blackbird and a lot of other stuff, I draw the line at possum. Swore I was not bringing any wood home last winter and then hauled at least 4 cord but I am on sabbatical till it drops below 30 degrees, fish to catch and golf and baseball occupy my summer. Wood piles are susceptible to the Coriolis effect, they fall over regardless

...BTW, I really want one of those sharp blades on a stick (scythe)...

Yeah… that’s how ya’ spell it!!
I bet I tried at least a dozen times and couldn’t make it look right… so I went with, “sharpened blade mounted to a stick.”

Hey… what can I say, I’m a self-educated hillbilly.

Oh... and I have several if'n ya' really want one... LOL

Yeah… that’s how ya’ spell it!!
I bet I tried at least a dozen times and couldn’t make it look right… so I went with, “sharpened blade mounted to a stick.”

Hey… what can I say, I’m a self-educated hillbilly.

Oh... and I have several if'n ya' really want one... LOL

No worries, my brothers used to call a scythe a "blade on a stick" so I kind of figured that was what y'all were talking about. N that was after they went to college. And me, well, I can't prove I ever made it through kindergarten let alone grade school. I guess I'm just a dumb blond after all! :msp_scared: Anyway, self education is better than no education in my book.

As for your offer, I'm tempted, but I think it's likely best if I decline. Otherwise I might become addicted to it and then I'd have a bad case of SAD! :msp_scared: (I'm already showing signs of CAD and FAD)

Storm, we're big on fueling addictions around here. If the couple spidey has laying around ain't enough, I've likely got one or 3 down in the shed to send you. I sure ain't using em.

Storm, we're big on fueling addictions around here. If the couple spidey has laying around ain't enough, I've likely got one or 3 down in the shed to send you. I sure ain't using em.
:msp_biggrin:
I guess I need to be careful what I ask/wish for! Otherwise I might end up with hundreds, even thousands! Anyway, I'm sure I can find one or two locally that aren't in use. If not I could always mount my 42cc chainsaw on the end of a stick fashioned lie a snath n really git er done! :msp_biggrin:

Otherwise I might end up with hundreds, even thousands! :[/QUOTE]

and that would be bad, why?? youd have one of the most complete collections of scythes around!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back