How much time-off am I allowed??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I am going to officially get to take the year off so I can't tell you that you shouldn't! I however have a good reason, we have sold our home and are moving into a rental while we design the next house. Wife decided she doesn't like the property we bought 2 years ago for the new house so I don't want to stack it out there and then have to move it somewhere, so #$%& it!

You can't just go cold turkey.
Take some time off if you want (don't do it those saws'll rust), but don't feel bad if you slip a little now and then (come back, come back now) and find yourself with a saw in your hands for an afternoon (there you go, feels better, eh?).
We're here for you whatever you decide to do (don't...stop, don't...stop).
If we don't hear from you for a while we'll be concerned, of course (must have gone over to fuel oil).
But we will always respect your decision in this matter and you will be remembered for your convictions.

Have a good summer, you're stocked and you've earned it.

Yup, pretty common. I don't know what your stack orientation is as far as N/S, E/W, but the wind/sun side has shrunk. You don't hafta re-stack the whole thing, just half. Gotta rotate yur stacks, can't do it all at once though. Pull out every other split and stick it back in the opposite direction and upside down from how it was previously, easy peasy more leaning stacks. :D :laugh: :jester: BTW, I thought your stovace ate all your dry wood and you was down to burnin green?!? Better get back to cuttin...

Danged groundhawgs been tryin to make my stacks lean...gonna get 'im sum lead poisinin! :angry:

Last edited:
Danged groundhawgs been tryin to make my stacks lean...gonna get 'im sum lead poisinin! :angry:

The rule is if you shoot em y'all gotta eat em! :msp_w00t: So here's a recipe!

Fried Woodchuck (Goundhog)

1 Woodchuck
1 tb Salt
1 c Flour
4 tb Fat
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

Skin and clean woodchuck and cut into 6 or 7 pieces

Put in pot, add salt and enough water to cover and parboil for 1 hour.

Remove meat from the broth, and drain.

Dredge meat in flour, salt and pepper.

Melt fat in heavy fry pan and saute woodchuck until nicely browned.

Serves 6

'Round here the "eat what ya' shoot" rule doesn't apply to certain critters.
It's perfectly acceptable to use carcasses of woodchuck, gopher, and other rodent pests for fertilizer, fish food, hog feed and the like. Personally I prefer the fish food method of disposal... a simple flick of the wrist and they make one splash, the river takes care of it from then on. Besides, I hate it when I haf'ta clean-off the shovel.

Ground Hog, Whistle Pig, Wood Chucks are Vegans so make some real good eatten un like a nastey pussom that eats any thing that don't eat them.

:D Al

hog,

I worked with an ole boy from Arkysaw (his word) He said he would make groundhawg that would rival any pot roast we ever had, he never did it while I worked there though. I'm not sure if I should consider myself lucky or not...:msp_mellow: :laugh:

I do believe everyone should at least try the different animals, be they groundhog, possum, raccoon, squirrel, rabbit, and so on. Who knows, y'all might find a new favorite. :msp_w00t: And if nothing else, you can say, "well yes, I tried it, but I found I don't particularly like the taste." (or OMG, it tastes worse than month old kitchen garbage smells) :msp_scared:

My general rule of cuisine... if'n my dogs won't eat it, I sure the hell ain't gonna eat it!
That don't necessarily mean I'll eat everything they will... but after seeing what the will eat, I sure in hell ain't gonna' eat what they won't!!
They may kill 'em... but I ain't never seen any of my dogs eat woodchuck, possum, raccoon, toads, or any sort of cat!!!
I believe that's sayin' a lot... after all, they don't mind gorging on mice and rats!!!!

It all depends on environment, cut rounds even when cut green will swore because the moisture cant get out fast enough.
If you want BBQ wood cut it green and split as soon as you can and stack so it can dry out faster. It makes much better BBQ wood.
Plane fire wood is not as critical as BBQ wood, it will still burn just fine as long as it is dry.
Standing dead wood must be taken down immediately or the fungus will set in very quickly and the wood will get punky very fast, and stink when burned.

I hate to even admit but my dad smoked a possum and I had a little bit. It wasn't bad..... but just the thought of those stinky suckers just made me want to throw it back up. I can't stand those dumb grinners.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

My general rule of cuisine... if'n my dogs won't eat it, I sure the hell ain't gonna eat it!
That don't necessarily mean I'll eat everything they will... but after seeing what the will eat, I sure in hell ain't gonna' eat what they won't!!
They may kill 'em... but I ain't never seen any of my dogs eat woodchuck, possum, raccoon, toads, or any sort of cat!!!
I believe that's sayin' a lot... after all, they don't mind gorging on mice and rats!!!!

When I was a kid my aunt had to give up her weiner dog to be able to move into a new no-pets-allowed apartment. We took the dog, all farms always need more dogs, right? Well, this dumb mutt had a taste for puddytats...

Dogs will eat pretty much anything. I had a collie that would eat of all things, my undies! I had a pair of german shepherds that would eat calf poop, cow afterbirth, and virtually anything that moved on 4 legs that could fit in their stomachs. We went to McDonalds once and they ate like 4 burgers apiece. N then threw up all over the back seat. I had a wolf that wouldn't hesitate to eat frogs, toads, mice, moles, possum, muskrat, groundhog, raccoon and the occasional bird. (I need to get another) Or basically any small to medium sized animal that came near. If he couldn't eat the whole thing now, he would bury it to eat later. It's not that they weren't well fed, they were, but I guess they liked to supplement their diets with other things. They would all go sniff another dog turd n give it a lick or two. Sometimes animals are just plain weird.

Speaking of which, last night at about 9:00 I went out on the porch, heard a noise n looked. There was a nice sized buck eating one of my roses. I cursed it (cuz I won't shoot a buck) and it started up the hill. Then turned to look at me so I cursed it again. Then it did serveral wheeze n sniff kind of things and then left. I think it was sassin me! :dizzy:

Anyway, I won't hold it against y'all for not trying the various animals, but I really think y'all should give them a try even if it is only one bite. After all, it can't be as bad as licking a turd! :laugh:

Anyway, I won't hold it against y'all for not trying the various animals, but I really think y'all should give them a try even if it is only one bite. After all, it can't be as bad as licking a turd! :laugh:

I'm calling myself spoiled on this one. There's so many tasty critters around here, that I see no need to go in search of the next "delicacy".

BTW, Storm, how bad is licking a turd anyhow? Sometimes we worry about you, gir!l :msp_scared:

Critter eating aside...

Taking time off (as I have done) ain't such a good idea.
I just finished bucking that pile of walnut logs... and holy crap am I out'a shape! I was flopped i the chair sucking Budweiser and the 5-year-old was still ready to go...
"C'mon dad, let's split it!"
"No boy, dad's done in... maybe tomorrow."

(Ya know? 55-year-old men should not try to keep up with 5-year-old children)

Taking time off (as I have done) ain't such a good idea.
I just finished bucking that pile of walnut logs... and holy crap am I out'a shape! I was flopped i the chair sucking Budweiser and the 5-year-old was still ready to go...
"C'mon dad, let's split it!"
"No boy, dad's done in... maybe tomorrow."

(Ya know? 55-year-old men should not try to keep up with 5-year-old children)

I've said it many times over the years , when you stop being active, you will age quickly. N the older you are the quicker the results. That's why even if you do take time off, you still need to remain active. So get out there and split n stack some more firewood. It's better than any workout you could get from a gym. N to keep you toned up a bit, try to keep up with the 5 year old. It's either that or get all soft n fluffy, so much so that you won't even be able to pick up a chainsaw.

So get out there n split some wood, build something, tear something down, chase the 5 year old, get out the shovel and move some dirt or gravel or any other number of strenuous activities. It'll keep you young! :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back