How much to charge for this job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread is going SO well I'm going to see what u guys bid on spruces. Since all spruce are pretty much the same (straight) then they should be relatively easy to price. Since I just did a 60 footer for basically nothing I'd like to know what youd bid on this tree. View attachment 262649 hope that worked. Now their is hydro behind it. That looks to be the only obstacle. Yes I'm certified to work around hydro.

I am not sure why no chipper or bucket, but I will play, I just quoted one today with 16 trees so this should simple

$450 puts it on the ground
6 loads @$60 each up to 10 miles away (brush dump is free here) covers driver
$300 for my labor
$100 for the tractor to pick up logs would be $150 but the truck is making money so the tractor can be hauled cheap.
$50 equipment charge goes on every job

$1260 but I could do it a little cheaper if it was an old customer or the dump site was close.

What do I win????????

You won a high five!!! No chipper cause I have an old 2 wheel drive truck that can't handle the weight. Just startin. Can't afford much.

I have a old 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pick up I put 8 yards of chips in and pull a 12" chipper with :dizzy:

but for that spruce id be at prob 700-800 no stump and as long as it was not overhanging the wires I could do it all my self in a couple hours. Limb up half of it come down clean up take a water break go back up drop the top dump any logs necessary on the way down and your done

and weather or not you have a bucket or chipper your price should be close to the same

In my area, $1600- 1800. Stump extra.

That's what it's worth at least. Here, you wouldn't get that price, doubt I'd get a grand for it, no stump. Too easy. Any retard with a Poulan and a pickup could strap on a pair of spikes and muddle through it.

I have a old 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pick up I put 8 yards of chips in and pull a 12" chipper with :dizzy:

but for that spruce id be at prob 700-800 no stump and as long as it was not overhanging the wires I could do it all my self in a couple hours. Limb up half of it come down clean up take a water break go back up drop the top dump any logs necessary on the way down and your done

and weather or not you have a bucket or chipper your price should be close to the same

Guess you have better/more springs. My truck would hit the ground if I put a chipper on it. She's pretty low to begin with. If its into the wires I'll call hydro to clear those. Ya I think 2 hours is a good guesstamite. Hmm wonder what the diameter of those branches are. I could likely tow a 6" chipper. Yup I think a 6" will do just fine. Thanks for the advice!

My Tree Prices

Well, I'm in a similar position to the newbie since I'm a bit slow and underequipped, except I'm a tired old treeman. I'm a hundred an hour if I have to climb a tree, plus double the wages of my offsider.

When you're starting out you think you'll be climbing trees when you're 70. When the job's cost you the skip in your step you wish you'd charged for your body as well as your time.

you can't feel bad about charging people reasonable rate. What equipment you use how much experience you have should have little effect on the price. If you are confident that you can complete the job in a safe and on time manner while making the customer happy. we have change our rate on of my first jobs i under bid and broke even but since then i have reevaluated our price and come up with this.

OUR RATES
me + 1 groundies----150/per hr----600/4hr-----1200/8hr
me + 2 groundies----200/per hr----800/4hr-----1600/8hr
chipping runs--------500/half day----------------1000/full day This includes all the dump Fees
Crane operation------1000/4hr-------------------1800/8hr + additional to the removal Fess

Technical surcharges are an additional 15%--25% of the man hour rate for working over homes, wire, decks, and close quarters.

so far this pricing has worked well we gives breaks to repeat customers at 10% off total. Every one seems happy were not a big company but we do the jobs safely and make sure that the customer is happy with the work. I am not out to work my self to the bone for peanuts and most people are happy to pay a little extra for quality service (ie. we show up, don't smoke, look professional, are safe, complete the work that was contracted and leave the place looking like nothing happen)

It is a riding praying mantis! Gitty up.

attachment.php

Is it for sale?

You should trim every single limb on the trees over the house and then take out 30 or 40 ft of the top ,just for good measure.
Make sure you leave the stubs long enough for steps for the next time you trim them just in case you dont have your spikes with you that day.

As for price: I'd start it at about $13.00 pr hr that way you have some wiggle room if they try to talk you down.

PS Don't forget to put a yard sign out front to showcase your work.

13 bucks an hour and leave stubs in case you return with no hooks?! That's some sort of joke, right?

Back