How much to charge for this job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$70 isn't worth getting off the couch. Have you researched what "professionals" are charging in your area? Likely a few bucks more.

2.5 from start to finish. That is from looking at the two tree's to finished cleaning them up. Yes I have researched and more than just logging onto a forum. I guess you could say people who work in the tree industry in this area charge anywhere from $40-$60+ an hr. It was an easy job and I don't have tons of years such as yourselves so I take a step back, realize that my work isn't quite as efficient as some, and its not fair for the HO to make up that expense. Just in case you wanted to criticize why I charged her that.

People are missing what I was asking, I was not simply asking how much to charge her. I was aiming at the fact that she had more work but I don't work for free and was curious if cutting her a break would have any affect (all else things equal) on getting more work with her. I know in some instances, it doesn't really matter as the work needs to be done, but it might acceptable to cut a brake to secure more business or maybe its not needed.

Anyway, like I said, its done and over with. Next time I will keep to myself. :blob2:

Last edited:
2.5 hrs would be about 600 bucks for us... normally the crew don't collect money at the co I work at they send a bill for everything but this one job we did was estimated at 1.25 hours 2 guys, the HO insisted we take the check right then and there, $520!!! I was a bit suprized at the number at first but when you think about it you gots to be priced like that to survive. so i would say your 70 bucks was a bit or A LOT low I think our minimum show up is 450 unless it is something really quick

like someone said it ain't worth it to even leave the house for 70 bucks I mean look at it this was if you break a rake handle you just lost all your profit for the job and that's just a rake what happens if your truck goes down? you just did 6 jobs for free? I highly suggest you look your business model over and rethink!

2.5 hrs would be about 600 bucks for us... normally the crew don't collect money at the co I work at they send a bill for everything but this one job we did was estimated at 1.25 hours 2 guys, the HO insisted we take the check right then and there, $520!!! I was a bit suprized at the number at first but when you think about it you gots to be priced like that to survive. so i would say your 70 bucks was a bit or A LOT low I think our minimum show up is 450 unless it is something really quick

like someone said it ain't worth it to even leave the house for 70 bucks I mean look at it this was if you break a rake handle you just lost all your profit for the job and that's just a rake what happens if your truck goes down? you just did 6 jobs for free? I highly suggest you look your business model over and rethink!

Now I see why not to use the commercial thread. lo.l I'm a pretty small operation. I have a small amount of expenses so it's hard to justify such high prices or minimums. I try to stay aware of my equipments condition and replace things as needed so I hope I don't get any mechanical surprises. I wouldn't do 6 jobs for free, I would do 6 jobs for a truck repair :D Also the $70 was to show a little grace, so to speak, and to solidify the remaining work.

Last edited:
I am just getting off the ground with a business. I have an OLD dump truck and chipper, OLD saws, backpack blower, tree climbing gear, a general liability policy and commercial auto insurance on two trucks. I try to estimate my jobs to achieve $125/hr minimum for me, my equipment, and a ground hand. I have a teenage kid who is basically good for dragging branches and raking up a mess, he gets $10/hr. If I need a guy that's competent with a saw and I can trust with the chipper, he gets $15/hr. I am getting started with the small jobs, this kind of money IS a gift for the customers that you come across. You are shooting yourself in the foot for working at the rate of $28/hr. By the time you pay a ground hand( sorry , I don't climb alone), fuel your equipment, and put a percentage aside for overhead, you are paying money out of your pocket to go work.

These guys are giving you a hard time because you are not going to make it at the wage level you are aspiring to and they know that. :beat-up:

Now that this is in the 101 section, have my 2 cents worth, I'm not qualified to answer to a whole lot in the professional thread let alone post there.:taped:

Actually, you can lose money on a job you don't get. Not only do you lose all of the future work you may have gotten from the client, but you do lose the current job to someone else. The question is, what was a fair value for the work he bid on (which was the poster's original question). If he did the work too cheap, and won the customer, He'll probably want to creep his prices up in the future. Better than losing the job and client.

But, $13/hr for this type of work is a joke.

I agree. But if you are making $$, then you may be a good businessman.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will bid too low, do poor work, and do harm to those who are legitimate (as well as the customer & his tree). I don't believe that that was the situation that happened here.

Also, keep in mind that he came to the forum, asking for advice on what to charge. The advice given on this forum ranged from $35-$600. Apparently, there are no standards to go by, so he had to go with his gut feeling. It would have been nice (for everyone reading the thread) to have seen pictures, and heard a well structured method in which to quote prices (there were a few, though). Some of the advice was sarcastic, and insincere, which is unfortunate.

BTW, When bidding jobs, I try to consider the following: 1. What is the value of the work to the Customer? 2. What do other LEGITIMATE companies charge for the work? 3. Can I compete with THEIR prices (obviously taking into consideration my costs, overhead, risks, etc)? Then, make a bid.

Last edited:
I agree. But if you are making $$, then you may be a good businessman.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will bid too low, do poor work, and do harm to those who are legitimate (as well as the customer & his tree). I don't believe that that was the situation that happened here.

Also, keep in mind that he came to the forum, asking for advice on what to charge. The advice given on this forum ranged from $35-$600. Apparently, there are no standards to go by, so he had to go with his gut feeling. It would have been nice (for everyone reading the thread) to have seen pictures, and heard a well structured method in which to quote prices (there were a few, though). Some of the advice was sarcastic, and insincere, which is unfortunate.

BTW, When bidding jobs, I try to consider the following: 1. What is the value of the work to the Customer? 2. What do other LEGITIMATE companies charge for the work? 3. Can I compete with THEIR prices (obviously taking into consideration my costs, overhead, risks, etc)? Then, make a bid.

Thanks Dan. I have started to figure out that how the customer values their landscape/trees can play a huge factor in pricing out jobs. I never gave it much thought but I will keep it in the forefront of my mind from now on.

What the hell is that thing?

It is a riding praying mantis! Gitty up.

attachment.php

This is relatively new to me and I am not quite sure how much to charge my customer. ....

What are some of your thoughts about how to price it?

Just married off my daughter yesterday and paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to put some prices in perspective as YOU are figuring "how much to charge". Photographer at the wedding for 5 hours, includes some prints later, but non the less, pretty comfy job conditions, not much risk, camera couple thousand dollars, drives a little car to the job, etc. $2,000.00

Just married off my daughter yesterday and paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to put some prices in perspective as YOU are figuring "how much to charge". Photographer at the wedding for 5 hours, includes some prints later, but non the less, pretty comfy job conditions, not much risk, camera couple thousand dollars, drives a little car to the job, etc. $2,000.00

This has really no relation to thread topic. But I will entertain it anyway cause its early. Oh, I just paid for my wedding last month too, and then, I lost my ring the past week after buying one last month, replaced that. Not to mention all the gear I bought, so I would say just over the last week or so I have a good idea of "how much to charge."

Man you guys were cheap around here when I get $75 per man hour plus dumping job like that runs around $900 welcome to Long Island

Shouldn't it be the the opposite then? If us young guys are asking for help and "you" turn "your" cheek , that just opens up the door for more hacks and what not. If someone one asks a simple question, get over "yourself" and answer it, get off "your" pedistool and realize this is a forum to help people.

This rant is not intended at anyone person in this forum. So no one should personally get but hurt, but it is a forum. :blob2:

This is why you should be posting over on ********.

I have very very VERY little tree work experience, I'll be clear, have pulled and fed a chipper for a summer. Helped my brother in law, whom I'd like to call a professional, do some weekend side jobs, again watching him fall the trees, then I would limb and chip. He fell 5 big trees one job, charged 2000. Then 8 smaller trees for 1500. Both jobs were single day jobs with us two.

With that said I am also 24 years old, with a high school education, and I sir, know you should be charging a #### load more than 70 bucks to limb trees 50ft up.

If it were me doing the very same job and IF AND ONLY IF licensed/bonded/insured, I would charge 300-500 dollars. And I'm looking at this as a side job perspective, if your doing this for a living, frankly, your in trouble.

I have very very VERY little tree work experience, I'll be clear, have pulled and fed a chipper for a summer. Helped my brother in law, whom I'd like to call a professional, do some weekend side jobs, again watching him fall the trees, then I would limb and chip. He fell 5 big trees one job, charged 2000. Then 8 smaller trees for 1500. Both jobs were single day jobs with us two.

With that said I am also 24 years old, with a high school education, and I sir, know you should be charging a #### load more than 70 bucks to limb trees 50ft up.

If it were me doing the very same job and IF AND ONLY IF licensed/bonded/insured, I would charge 300-500 dollars. And I'm looking at this as a side job perspective, if your doing this for a living, frankly, your in trouble.

Unheard of, you have a high school diploma. You should have been studying those college prep test's during the summer.

Well I can tell you that you will be sitting on your couch most of your next summer if you plan on bidding jobs. You want might to expand your knowledge and experience before you start thinking about bidding jobs.

Last edited:
Unheard of, you have a high school diploma. You should have been studying those college prep test's during the summer.

Well I can tell you that you will be sitting on your couch most of your next summer if you plan on bidding jobs. You want might to expand your knowledge and experience before you start thinking about bidding jobs.

Was making a point as of how little education i have, compared to yours.

As for tree knowledge, I will be the first to admit I have very little, but I'm not one asking for help on bidding on tree jobs. Just telling you what I would do in your situation.

Your obviously stubborn and everyone else but myself has realized your beyond help, but it is now clear how ignorant you really are

Take your own advice before posting a thread.

"You want might to expand your knowledge and experience before you start thinking about bidding jobs."

Back