How much wood burned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree with the home being efficient you can have the most efficient wood burning equipment but if your walls whistle when the wind blows its not going to do ya much good.

Small homes high efficiency build to what you need is my mato.

Close to 2 cords and a half ton of coal. I have a hard time judging how much I burn because I din't stack. I usually just burn off a pile. I'll be scrounging by April.

Guessing about 3-4 cord been burning 24/7 since october. I'm another that doesn't stack...big old pile...started out bigger than last years pile so i should be good to go.

i've burned just over 1 1/2 cords so far this season heating about 1600 sq ft. the additional 6" of insulation i added to the attic this past summer seems to be helping quite a bit. it was worth the small investment.

We got a new stove setup a couple yrs back and so the jury is still out on exactly how much we will average long term but it looks like 2-4 cord per yr is likely. Heating about 4000 sq ft with indoor wood furnace and propane backup when we are gone..

Probably about two cords, maybe a little more. My wife feels a lot better when she is really warm so she has permission (heck, even encouragement!) to burn as much as she wants.

We got a new stove setup a couple yrs back and so the jury is still out on exactly how much we will average long term but it looks like 2-4 cord per yr is likely. Heating about 4000 sq ft with indoor wood furnace and propane backup when we are gone..

What type of furnace and how do you have it set up? I heat 3600 sq ft also with a indoor furnace that is forced air and have burned 3 1/2 cords so far, looks like i could burn 10 cords by spring. I plan on up dating soon and your set up seems efficient. I have a energy mate furnace and the house is aways 70-75 degrees

What type of furnace and how do you have it set up? I heat 3600 sq ft also with a indoor furnace that is forced air and have burned 3 1/2 cords so far, looks like i could burn 10 cords by spring. I plan on up dating soon and your set up seems efficient. I have a energy mate furnace and the house is aways 70-75 degrees

I have a Hotblast 1557 Made by US Stove Company. If I was to guess I would guess it isn't top of the line quality as some could recommend but it seems to fit the bill for us. In 2005 we added on about 2000sq ft on to our house and are remodeling the rest and I needed a new "wood stove" to heat with and that was the stove I found new and close to home. I bricked up a new chimney and got it all done just in time for the cold snap that fall. At times I wish it was bigger but it seems to work. I have it setting along side the propane furnace and ducted in above it. The fan of the propane furnace can be used to push the air along. Like I said earlier my wood usage is a little unclear yet as last winter we had a light winter and didn't really push it. However this year we are using the heck out of it now. It wouldn't surprise me if I go over the 4 cord and end up closer to 5 or 6 but it really doesn't worry me to much as I have plenty of my own wood and so I can just get more if needed. I can see that I need to plan ahead more so I have more dry or drying wood on hand for the coming years. We use to have just and old Great Western Duplex stove that sat in the basement and heated the house but it needed repairs and I knew it wasn't anywhere near big enough to Git-r done... Hope that helps..

walls whistle when the wind blows its not going to do ya much good.

Small homes high efficiency build to what you need is my mato.
I bought a 1920's home that was moved to this site (rather than being torn down). It is very windy here and the walls do whistle even though I've been plugging every gap I can find/access. I'll keep trying though. Unfortunately the dim-wit I bought it from covered it in vinyl siding so I can't really get to all the outside gaps without tearing off the siding.....a project that's low down on the list of priorities (the new stove and chimney was priority number one when we moved in and good saws to get wood....no way was I going to heat this house with an old inefficient propane forced air system. We've used 200 gallons of propane since June if that tells ya anything (propane range, oven, and water heater). I think the furnace has been run maybe 5 times when it was 26 below.

just finished off my third cord. have two cord of white oak and cherry left the white oak could use another season so im on the hunt for some dry stuff sure hate to pay for it though but i guess its better than buying oil only burned 72 gallons of that so far. if it wasnt for my wife turning the heat on in our bedroom i wouldn't have burned any oil

3cords(including)
1/2cord oak for night fill

the rest is day wood-soft maple, elm, 3" and up stuff, with the little wood used up, now it'll be the larger blocks going in, they last longer.

Burned close to 7cords last winter, and planned on the same for this winter.
2cords of oak
5cords of day wood.(one per month)

I'm at about 3-4 face cords, but only lit the stove around Thanksgiving. I actually thought I would have burned more. Looks like I'll have some wood left. Oh no, does that mean I HAVE to cut less this year?

Back