How much wood do I have here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run away! He'll probably want a copy of any insurance you might have. Make you sign a contract with time limits...where you pay $100 for every day past the deadline. Then sue you for environmental damages if you spill a little bar oil on his "putting green" quality turf.

He wants to charge you $1200 to haul out something he needs moved right away? I had to type that out myself just to make sure I wasn't imaging things. The guy is a moonbat!

I would tell him nicely that it is not worth any where near $1250. Tell him it's all odd ball sizes and very green. Then offer him $100 to get it out of there for him ASAP. He will not go for it right away but after a couple weeks he might call. There is lots of firewood out there you just need to keep looking to find it.

Reading the replies, I have to say that I would simply tell him that you would move it for free. I would not pay anything for it and your payment would be the wood that you could salvage (if you are in need of wood). If you are set then I would not miss any sleep over it. You are doing him a favor by moving it right away.

I wouldn't pay a dime for that with all of the manual labor involved moving it. A bobcat and a dumptruck would be your best bet for cleanup quick and even then you need a guy or two to roll stuff into the bucket.

If ur gonna buy it id recommend getn a set price per truck load and pay as you go and pick the nicest stuff first that way nobody gets shorted on them "20" cord

I will eat that wood if it's anywhere close to 20 cords. 10 is even VERY optimistic.
5-8 probable with a lot of work hauling, splitting and so forth. The amount they are
asking is way to high as well. In Connecticut you can buy a seasoned cord for $250
and that's delivered. $1250o_O??? I suspect they hope a total noob goes for that deal.

If this is of any help to you....... It takes a pile of wood 10 ft. across and 5 ft. high to equal just a little over a cord in volume. A 10 x 5 pile = 130 sq.ft. A cord of wood = 128 sq. ft. Figure you pile accordingly. I'm still guessing around 5 cord maybe 6 from your photos.

If this is of any help to you....... It takes a pile of wood 10 ft. across and 5 ft. high to equal just a little over a cord in volume. A 10 x 5 pile = 130 sq.ft. A cord of wood = 128 sq. ft. Figure you pile accordingly. I'm still guessing around 5 cord maybe 6 from your photos.
[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry but this entire post is wrong. A chord of wood is 128 CUBIC feet. 10 x 5 is 50 SQUARE feet. for a 10 x 5 pile to be a chord it wood have to be made up of logs that were 2.5 long. I realy dont know how some people are measuring their chords but I only see about 3-5 chord after being processed.

????????????

128 is a stacked cord. when selling our wood we use 180 cubic feet as a loose tossed cord. so what is a good volume measurement for wood in rounds or logs? we haul our wood off the hill in a dump truck in log form and the same size load can vary from 1 to 2 cords once it is all split. air space and log size really impact the final volume of wood coming out of each load of logs.

I dont understand the measurement of cords ... I've always worked it out per trailer load

How much wood there is irrelevant. It's not firewood. You would have to do tons of work to get into firewood shape.
Moving, cutting, splitting, seasoning for a year or two.
It's market value is zero regardless how much there is. You can get shyte like this anywhere, anytime.

This falls into the craigslist category where they say "free firewood" and when you get there, there is a tree standing.

They want it hauled away, it's not oak or ash or hickory
Offer to help haul away if they don't find anyone to do it.

My response is that if they think there is 20 full cords then and you think it's 10 full cords then I wouldn't even deal with them. No one is going to end up happy on this deal so I would walk away. Leave them your phone number and part friends and maybe future business friends. I got 4 loads of random length stuff for 2' to 6' long this summer and after dealing with it I wish I had of just spent the time in the bush cutting logs. I cut it all into 16" lengths using my buzz saw, almost ruined my back wit all the lifting as it was fresh cut hardwood. I ended up with a big pile of 3" to 14" pieces for my OWB. Logs would have been much nicer, wasn't worth the fuel to have it to my place to process.

This really is your best advice. This should be a freebie to you for your efforts to clean up the mess. However, I fear the best they'd do is cut the price in half. But then you'd be paying $625 more than you should and they'd be getting half of what they wanted; making no one happy.

I'm sorry but this entire post is wrong. A chord of wood is 128 CUBIC feet. 10 x 5 is 50 SQUARE feet. for a 10 x 5 pile to be a chord it wood have to be made up of logs that were 2.5 long. I realy dont know how some people are measuring their chords but I only see about 3-5 chord after being processed.[/QUOTE]
The 10 x 5 ft. measurement is for the cone shaped piles in the photo. Look up the sq.ft. of a cone online to find the correct formula. The piles we were shown can be considered cone shaped and measured accordingly.

It's a bad deal for sure ... they are trying to make money when they clearly know there is none there ... they simply don't want to pay someone to remove it for them

Back