How much wood do I have here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but this entire post is wrong. A chord of wood is 128 CUBIC feet. 10 x 5 is 50 SQUARE feet. for a 10 x 5 pile to be a chord it wood have to be made up of logs that were 2.5 long. I realy dont know how some people are measuring their chords but I only see about 3-5 chord after being processed.
The 10 x 5 ft. measurement is for the cone shaped piles in the photo. Look up the sq.ft. of a cone online to find the correct formula. The piles we were shown can be considered cone shaped and measured accordingly.[/QUOTE]

I, too, had a problem with it at first and then realized you were describing a conical pile (diameter x height) :).

Harry K

Hmmm...... I am guessing the amount in the pictures to be 6-7 full cord.

This is 20 cord.

33oru54.jpg

dw5qat.jpg

This is about 2.5 face cord or aprox. .83 cord.

2l9ocvo.jpg

Yes, I incorrectly mentioned sq. ft. when I meant cu. ft. The actual formula to calculate the volume of a cone in this case would be: 1/3 pi x (radius)^2 x hgt. So the example I gave for a 10ft. dia. pile of wood 5 ft. high looks like this.... 1/3 pi =1.046 x (radius of 5 ft. ^2= 25) x 5 ft. or (1.046 x 25 x 5 = 130 cu.ft.). Just a little over a cord of wood. Sorry that my earlier simplification of the formula caused any confusion.

I didn't figure the lawns in Wisconsin to be so lush in mid November:p

That stack went fast! You must have satisfied repeat customers c5...

An honest cord at a fair price.

I didn't figure the lawns in Wisconsin to be so lush in mid November:p

That stack went fast! You must have satisfied repeat customers c5...

An honest cord at a fair price.

That pretty much sums it up.

I don't deliver if I don't have to. I let people hold the tape measure and we will measure off the pile, then draw a line with marking paint on the pile after I explain what a true cord is. In this instance, it's a double stack 12' long, (the pile is 4' high and the uglies are freebies on top)

The small pile that was left was saved for my neighbor, (A Doctor) who wanted some. After two phone calls and promise to come the next day I sold it after 3 weeks went by. I later learned he got some wood from a church member but he couldn't bother to call.:mad: So I sold it for more than I would have charged him. I posted an ad and it was gone in 1 hour.

Here I am starting over, while the pile was still there. I have a few more loads already, but my logger buddies haven't come back to this area yet but will very soon.

2vl5yrd.jpg

i26an8.jpg

Hickory, my favorite

o7pmdh.jpg

I am selling my first cord tomorrow c5...having the buyer pick it up as well. I want them
to see it and be 100% satisfied or I will just burn it myself. Finally have enough to sell a
bit, cover a few expenses. I just love working the wood....and oh boy do those hickory rounds look tasty!

The cycle repeats....

cca1491b4cadad6d5bec4956b5192cf8.jpg

Pic is 15 cord.
However it is always hard to judge by a pic.
Definitely seems less than 20 cord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b0fee3d61c87cc62f31328f623172b49.jpg

Not even 10 there but for that price I would get a new wood stove instead and cut my own trees up. And they need it removed ASAP lolololol.
I would tell them to start getting to work!

cca1491b4cadad6d5bec4956b5192cf8.jpg

Pic is 15 cord.
However it is always hard to judge by a pic.
Definitely seems less than 20 cord

b0fee3d61c87cc62f31328f623172b49.jpg
You have some serious saw time ahead of you!! Wish I had that to look forward to.

Back