How much wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
figure it in inches
length 192"(16') X width 20" X height 48" (4') = 184,320 cubic inches. divide that by cubic inches in a foot which is 1,728" = 106.6. divide that by cubic feet in a cord. 128' = A COUPLE OF STICKS OVER 4/5 OF A CORD.

Can you define a "face cord"? Is it 64 cubic feet 4X2X8, or 4X whatever length the wood is cut to X 8, or something else.

Have heard the words "face cord" for a long time. Don't know what it means.

Texas law talks about selling wood by the cord - defined as 128 cubic feet of wood. Selling a face cord could get you a ticket and a fine.

Hal
Hal. cut 16" X 4' h X 8' L . about 42 cubic feet.

It would still be considered a face cord or partial cord. The typical face cord measurement is 4x8x16" as Troy stated.

true, i was just being facetious.

i don't sell wood, i just cut it for personal use. i figure i burn between 4 to 6 cords a year. i have two years worth sitting out back and more coming. my problem is i'm going to have too much. since i can use pieces up to 24 inches i usually don't pay too much attention to sizes. the majority are 18 inches

Feedback on the definition of "face cord" is correct.

You can see from the "face" side a row of wood that measures 4'ft. tall and is 8'ft. long. What you don't see is the length of each piece. One row could have 12" pieces while another 18". That's a big difference. In fact with the 18" pieces you are getting 50% more wood.

The traditional row size of 4'ft. x 8ft. is only representative as it could be almost any dimension provided it equals out to a specified amount. The use of the term "face cord" is not condoned or allowed by some states who regulate firewood vendors and sellers due to the indeterminate amount of wood. The term is loosely used as having pieces that are 16", but could vary. Same goes for phrases like "truck load" or "stove cord".

The term "rick" is a bit more acceptable because now our 4'ft. x 8'ft. row is expected to have pieces at least 16" or that approx. specific amount. Meaning it represents 1/3 of a cord.

One last thing to consider is that if you have 3 rows of wood each measuring 4'ft. high, 8'ft. long with pieces cut to 16", you have a full cord.... of "volume" space the wood resides. Doesn't mean you have an actual 128'cu.ft of firewood. Simple really because of all the gaps between each piece. These gaps can vary too. Say there's a pile of wood near a cord of wood. You go to stack it and it's 18cu.ft. shy of a cord. Then your wife is mad because you stacked it in a place she doesn't want it, so you move the wood and restack. However, this time you measured out you are over a cord by 14cu.ft. This happens because of the way it's stacked. Sometimes more compact, sometimes not. Many know this but I thought I would throw it out there for those of you who haven't considered this. Something to think about I guess. LOL!

StihlRockin'

I enjoy all,threads on AS, mainly because I learn something I did not previously know. In this case though, math is math. New vs. old, but at the end numbers do not lie (unless you reside in D.C.).

I personally stockpile as much as I can from as many places as I can and store it wherever I can. My wife always asks when I sit enough. My personality doesn't let me think anything other than.....NEVER.

I found this defanition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on line:

Definition of FACE CORD. : a unit of wood cut for fuel equal to a stack 4 × 8 feet with lengths of pieces from about 12 to 16 inches.

My point is that a face cord is a shady (in my mind) selling wethod. From 1/4 Cord (12" length) to 1/3 Cord ( 16" length) to 1/2 Cord at 24" length.

The real issue is the folks who buy wood and don't really know what they are getting for the money they give. This is one of the main reasons I started to cut my own wood. I asked for a cord and got something that could very loosly be seen as between 3/4 and a full cord - but more toward the 3/4 cord end. I will admit at the time I was not smart enough to know what I should be getting.

AS for a RICK, I have seen 2X4X length of the cut wood. 4X4X length of the cut wood and 8X4X length of the cut wood. The difference was that you could see the wood in a rack and know how much you were getting for your money, before you paid.

Hal

I found this defanition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on line:

Definition of FACE CORD. : a unit of wood cut for fuel equal to a stack 4 × 8 feet with lengths of pieces from about 12 to 16 inches.

My point is that a face cord is a shady (in my mind) selling wethod. From 1/4 Cord (12" length) to 1/3 Cord ( 16" length) to 1/2 Cord at 24" length.

The real issue is the folks who buy wood and don't really know what they are getting for the money they give. This is one of the main reasons I started to cut my own wood. I asked for a cord and got something that could very loosly be seen as between 3/4 and a full cord - but more toward the 3/4 cord end. I will admit at the time I was not smart enough to know what I should be getting.

AS for a RICK, I have seen 2X4X length of the cut wood. 4X4X length of the cut wood and 8X4X length of the cut wood. The difference was that you could see the wood in a rack and know how much you were getting for your money, before you paid.

Hal

Ya, a "rick" is pretty nebulous, it is whatever someone says it is. Some guy in the town over by me sells little stacks in his front yard, criss crossed splits, about two foot high stack, sign that says $10 a rick

Ya, a "rick" is pretty nebulous, it is whatever someone says it is. Some guy in the town over by me sells little stacks in his front yard, criss crossed splits, about two foot high stack, sign that says $10 a rick

I used to do something simular. I loaded a 6ch ft wheelbarrow with 20-25 pieces of oak 18 inches long and sold it for $10.00. But, the buyer could see what they were getting and compair that to the $5.00 bundle from the quick market. Did not advertise any unit of measure for the wood - what you see is what you get. Sold a lot of them in 2001 and 2002.

Hal

Back