How often do you change woodstoves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have the same stove since 1993, and have the same Ford Bronco since 1987, so you know where I stand on this (use it until it's had it). But I just was curious what you guys do; I know my buddy at the local stoveshop has about 6 stoves and switches them around every so often. What about you?:greenchainsaw:

I have a spare in the garage that I rescued when I moved to my cabin here, but basically 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!', I mean really, there are stoves still in use that are over 100yrs old, if you're not using a layer of sand or stove bricks on the bottom, and burning salt-chuck wood, maybe in 20-50yrs the cast on the bottom might get a bit thin. Sort of a non-question imho :D
Also switchin' stoves, bit of work and potentially messy +$ if they're not identical fittings, why bother if you're happy with what you have :)
My afternoon 0.02$ worth, for the 0.02$ afternoon :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

:cheers:

Serge

PA woodsman

Why in the heck would a guy buy 6 stoves and swap them around? It about made me sick to buy one! I'm not buying another until there is something wrong with the one I have.

Why in the heck would a guy buy 6 stoves and swap them around? It about made me sick to buy one! I'm not buying another until there is something wrong with the one I have.

Since he works at a stoveshop, he hardly paid for any of them. That's one of the reasons that I asked the question; like I said I use my stuff until it's had it. But I DO know of people who swap their stoves every few years because they think that they're getting a "better" more efficient model. Like some people trade their cars in every 2 years. Just curious...

The new EPA stoves are more efficient. I have a Lopi Revere at home, but my stove at my camp is a late 80s model Vestal. It keeps the place toasty warm, but it also burns a heckofa lot of firewood doing it. I've thought about replacing it with a newer stove, but then I like cutting firewood.... :)

Last edited:
I was going to look at buying a newer stove after this burning season. The three main reasons are for efficiency, emissions, and looks. Mine is from the late 80's/early 90's and is just cast iron. It's a bit dingy looking, and repainting it isn't an option as it's in the basement and I would have a hard time getting the smell of baking the paint. I would like to get something more efficient (longer burn time) and one that throws off less emissions.

I am running a 1970's Treemont hearth heater Fireplace insert that I picked up off of craigslist for $125. I pack it full of wood at 10pm and at 6am there is still a flame in there for the next load. Keeps the house between 80-86 making me want to open doors most of the time but the wife and kids like it. Prior to this stove I had a Franklin cast sierra stove that I could only obtain a 4hr burn on a full load. Found that the convection blower was force feeding my fire due to the firebox walls warping and separating from the previous homeowner burning pallets. The longest burn that I have gotten out of this treemont has been 12hrs. Before I bought this stove I looked at new inserts that were ranging from $2200 to $3600 installed. All of these EPA stoves had advertised burn times of up to 9hrs. I think that I made out better with the older stove though it does not meet EPA guidlines.

Latest posts

Back