How often do you turn bar over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
Every time I take the chain off.

What Andy just said i do it when I clean up the saw after a day of work or otherwise it gets flipped halfway through the day if I have to remove the bar to unblock the oil channels and clean the bar groove or unjam the bar sprocket (which happens occasionally when doing a large cut with the bar buried in the wood)

if i'm in big wood about every 2 days (20-26 tanks of fuel) if i'm in small wood like jack pine sometimes only once a week don't like the newer husky bars with grey paint the chrome oregon ones slide through the trees nice.

alderman said:
Would anybody care to comment on how often they turn the bar on their chainsaws? Does it add appreciably to the life of the bar to turn it? Are most bars designed to be turned?:confused:

Reading through the responses, I think you are getting some very good advice!

Most guys flip the bars to avoid uneven bar rail wear that they can see and fix. There is a hidden wear spot that you can not see and can not fix, except by flipping the bar.

IF your bar has a grease hole in the tip, then you have a hidden wear point that can cause big problems in a short hurry. The grease hole is designed to overlap the bearing race so the grease gets directly into the bearings. As a bearing passes by the hole it slides gently off the near side of the hole and slightly impacts the far side. The small impacts slowly errode the far side of the grease hole removing a small amount of material. BUT, the near side of the hole edge is not erroded and effectively becomes a STEP in the bearing race when the bar is flipped and the bearings travel in the opposite direction.

This problem surfaces very quickly with mechanized tree harvester bars that are not flipped very often. When the bars are run too long in one direction and then flipped, the operator will complain, "the bar ran for two weeks just fine, then I flipped the bar and the nose burned up."

So keep flipping the bars regularly, both for the wear you can and CAN NOT see!

When do you scrap a bar and get a new one? Excessive wear along the sides of the bar? Burned nose sprocket? Steel flakes coming off due to fatigue fracture?

t_andersen said:
When do you scrap a bar and get a new one? Excessive wear along the sides of the bar? Burned nose sprocket? Steel flakes coming off due to fatigue fracture?

The last two, yes... although you may be able to replace a tip. Excessive wear - only when the bar cannot be ground anymore because the chain hits the bottom of the groove.

I never turn my bar over! I also never mix oil in my gas and I never put bar oil in it either. I just go back to the box store and they either give me a new one or I pay $87.96 for a new one!

The scary thing is some people are actually like this!:givebeer::monkey:

FourMoCajuns said:
I never turn my bar over! I also never mix oil in my gas and I never put bar oil in it either. I just go back to the box store and they either give me a new one or I pay $87.96 for a new one!

The scary thing is some people are actually like this!:givebeer::monkey:

I've got a bunch of saws just for you! :)

Latest posts

Back