How often do you turn bar over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Would anybody care to comment on how often they turn the bar on their chainsaws? Does it add appreciably to the life of the bar to turn it? Are most bars designed to be turned?:confused:

Questions answered 123 1)Turned every day of hard use, you can clean the groove and maybe file it (with a raker file), 2)yes, 3)yes.

Several times a minute when limbing.:)

As far as taking it off the studs and flipping it over-whenever I replace the chain. Most bars last longer if they are flipped occasionally The Banana bars of the '80s whick had a nonsymetrical tip for anti kickback reasons shouldn't be flipped.

I rotate my tires going down the road .-Don't you?;)

I clean the grooves at the end of each day as part of the cleanup process. I flip the bar based upon appearances, as I try to keep the wear the same on both sides. And I sharpen and refuel at the end of the day, so the saw is ready to go next time out.

04ultra said:
Andy do you wax your saws at the same time ..They always look so clean in the pictures..

I just don't use my saws - to many customer repairs to "test":D In any case, who takes pictures of dirty saws?

You should see my 075 I picked up today - 36 inch Sach-Dolmar bar, new chain... Be running in a few days. Might "restore" this one... bead blast, new paint, full strip down, maybe..

I am probably overdoing it, but I do it once a day, when it is off the saw anyway, whwn I am doing maintenance at the end of the day.

Cleaning groove and holes are part of the prosess.
The raker file is used as necassary.

Every time time i clean the saw, normally after a good frew hours of use. Flip the bar over clean the groove with the scraper. File any burs off the top and sides. Put some greece in the nose sproket bit of WD40 too.

Tend to take care of bars they are very expensive over here a 28" bar for a 372xp is about 70-80 quid! around $112.

I think the average 'homeowner' never cleans the grooves of a bar, as everyone I've worked on was almost clogged solid with oil/sawdust gunk.:confused:

West Texas said:
I think the average 'homeowner' never cleans the grooves of a bar, as everyone I've worked on was almost clogged solid with oil/sawdust gunk.:confused:

Amen to that! but not just "average", almost all of them!

Last edited:
Every time I sharpen. Also clean bar grove, clean power head etc. This probably should be done oftener as I cut mostly willow so the sharpening only comes every 3 or 4th trip. Not as bad as that may sound as I can only make 3 - 4 hours at a stint with breaks any more.

Harry K

Back