how often to sharpen chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
how often do you guys sharpen a chain? in cords or hours or whatever you want to measure with? do you sharpen after a hour or two?

how often do you guys sharpen a chain? in cords or hours or whatever you want to measure with? do you sharpen after a hour or two?

Depends on how hard and how dirty the wood is and what type of chain.

After every tank when am refueling I look and feel the chain to decide.

TT

Touch up with a pass or two when refilling the fuel and bar oil if I'm lucky, otherwise, it gets the file right after I find wire or a sand filled inclusion.

Some days I'll be on the third chain before refueling, others, I'll finish the day with a worn out file and an empty fuel can.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Immediately, if I notice myself having to work the saw harder to do the same work. I don't like having to dog in and torque on the bar much at all since a good sharp chain will do most of that work for you. So every fill-up I look at the chain; if I can see a good glint off the cutter edge, it gets a stroke with the file. I've learned the hard way that it's not worth it to fight with a dulling chain to "make it" to the next refueling, or finish a certain tree off, or whatnot; you never end up saving time when it's all said and done. If it ain't cutting like it used to, time to shut down and get the file out. It's easier on you and the engine in the end.

Yeah what they said. If you place the chain on the tree and squeeze the trigger the saw should pull toward the tree and no downward pressure need be applied to the saw. Chips of a uniform size should fly. No dust or powder when cutting solid wood. The cut should be straight and true with no binding or hopping.
Excessive filing should be avoided! after a few filings the raker height needs re- setting to ensure fair chip size. With a new raker file 2 good strokes per raker is a good start. To much filing of these will result in very grabby chain. Though an 090 with a 30" bar and a new full house filed 4 strokes per raker makes impressive chips you must use two hands and both feet to hold on to it.
In clean wood I have gone two or three days with much less than a touch up. In bad wood or beach sand prepare to file often.

Yeah what they said. If you place the chain on the tree and squeeze the trigger the saw should pull toward the tree and no downward pressure need be applied to the saw. Chips of a uniform size should fly. No dust or powder when cutting solid wood. The cut should be straight and true with no binding or hopping.
Excessive filing should be avoided! after a few filings the raker height needs re- setting to ensure fair chip size. With a new raker file 2 good strokes per raker is a good start. To much filing of these will result in very grabby chain. Though an 090 with a 30" bar and a new full house filed 4 strokes per raker makes impressive chips you must use two hands and both feet to hold on to it.
In clean wood I have gone two or three days with much less than a touch up. In bad wood or beach sand prepare to file often.

True say! I have a 2101XP with a 24", I accidentally used the wrong FOP on it and set the rakers way too low a while back. Used it to drop and buck a dead Doug Fir of about the same size as the bar, and it was all I could do to keep it from dogging in and stalling out, but once I got used to it, man did it chew through the wood! Too much work holding it back though; I was exhausted after I was done.

Many years ago when workin with assplunda I was told, using to much saw chain and to conserve cost by sharpening less.
??Well sure I can save you bean counters heaps if I don't use it at all was my 1st thought.
After that I did a number crunch of my own. Fitting a new $35 loop on a hyro pole saw that was cuttin green limbs from around wires. I watched and added the numbers till that chain was kaput. A $35 buck chain loop made over $5600 grand of billable work. Thats not bad return for investment in my mind.

huh?

when it gets dull. Sometimes hours and hours...sometimes just one cut on a dirty stump

Winner winner chicken dinner. I've ran a saw for 8 hours and only touched it up the next morning for the heck of it and I've sharpened chains after one cut before.

pretty much every tank of fuel for me with 044 and 24" bar with full compliment. 3 strokes per tooth usually. I find I can refuel, re oil, sharpen my whole chain, re-set chain tension and be back to work in about 5m minutes. 7-8 minutes if using a 36" bar. I can go 2 tanks, but then I find I need 7~8 strokes per tooth. I dont mind the 5 minutes as it's a good break for me. In a good day I might go through about 10~12 tanks of fuel.

Shaun

A lot of variables affect this. But basicly when it stops making "chips" and starts making saw dust. When it sees to be cutting a little slow or not as straight as I like. Or when I need a break.

Other than that, at the end of the day before I put the saw away.

:chainsawguy:

when it takes extra effort to cut through your leg......the weight of the saw should be enough....

sharpen the damn thing when it's dull..........it's a no brainier.... or should be...

man i think ive been waiting to long ive waited about a year and probly 50 tanks of fuel on one saw though the chain still seems sharp, and the chips were still decent,

Back