How Often

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just wondering about something fellas. Over the years I have done tree work for several people. I have done a lot of jobs where it has been one tree. But I also have had a couple people who want about 40 trees removed from their properties. That is a very rough number though. Not clearing work, just we have a tree over the house, or this is going here, or this is dead, or whatever. How often do you guys get jobs like that?

Lots of work like that out here on the Plateau, west central Texas. Most of my customers are rural on acreages around 5-200 and homesite trees require a bit more care than the outer forested areas. Prices I charge reflect the higher value trees needing a bit more care than the outer ones - which when they want clearing done I can use heavy equipment or quickly prune with a helper driving the tractor with me in the bucket (lower limb clearing or push-overs then pile-ups).

Straight climbing is a given hourly rate (or assumed total if hours are calculated correctly) and using the tractor and chipper is always a bit more (adding a helper charge). Fence builders, field mowers, and straight tractor work here brings a minimum of $75.00 per hour (we're a cheap area). Climbing I go for $32.50 which would include the clean-up, one man (me). All other arbo work (cabling, feeding, surgery) is cost-plus. I would break-down the differences instead of a flat-fee for the area if I were you. Keep the overhouse trees at your pricing standard, but bid or suggest a flat-rate for the perimeter trees. If you can secure equipment for clearing, calculate the cost of equipment per day with labor plus a safe pad in the event something goes wrong. There are no minimum standards unless you can take advantage of foreign labor with crappy tools. Don't undersell yourself, clearing can beat the heck outta you and your equipment. If they think they can hire someone with a pick-up and a chainsaw for $20.00 they'll get what that brings. Months of work and high liability.

Hi Treeman 82,Many times when I discuss the removal with the customer,mostly it is one dead or damaged tree.After the tree is on the ground,the customer will then ask for opinions and prices on other trees.Once a man who had a farm started off wanting one pine down but I ended up removing 30-40 smaller trees. This seems to occurs more often when the customer are female.Many times neighbors will hear the saw and come over and ask for an estimate.It also seems that most like to watch.Mikey

Mike, I had 2 or 3 customers like this. Each one liked to take trees out in bunches of like 5 - 10. Go there the first time and do about 5, then go back a couple weeks or months later and do another 10, then another 10, and another 10, or whatever. Then at the end when they are all down they ask to have the stumps ground. I mean I like these types of accounts because you can count on a few days of work from them a year for several years. But how often do you guys get accounts like this? I figure I pick up about 1 per year like that.

Matt, I've picked up about 4 like that this Yr Ive already done work for them twice this yr and there asking me to come back in the fall for Pruning.:cool:

Dave; one of my accounts like that... I am headin back up there on Wednesday to finish a job. I had gone up yesterday to cut 2 easy limbs and finish off a log. But the owners told me that they were recieving a new addition to the family on Tuesday night named "Godzilla" so I told them I will be up on Wednesday to finish the job and check out the monster. Also they are supposed to be letting me know about a cracked maple tree by the house.

Yeah Dave. Godzilla is an Asian Monitor. There is another word in there but I forget what it is. Possibly an Asian Water Monitor? He is about 5 - 7 years old. 7 1/2 feet long and weighs between 60 and 70 lbs. This is just what I hear though. Gonna check him out tomorow. Apparently 1 feeding is 20 lbs of meat. Chickens / dead chickens / dogs / you name it. Supposed to be friendly with people though.

Originally posted by treeman82
Apparently 1 feeding is 20 lbs of meat. Chickens / dead chickens / dogs / you name it. Supposed to be friendly with people though.

Yeah, that's what they TELL you.............. :Eye: :eek:

Not that this makes a difference.. but the owner is placing a sledge hammer in Godzilla's cage JUST in case he should attack somebody. And if that does happen... the father in law (my customer) has MANY guns in the house so the lizzard will then become target practice.

Well the "cage" is more like the back part of a barn. About 10 x 8 or so. The owner was re-enforcing the walls when I was there Sunday.

Matt,
I still think they might be trying to trick you. Just don't get in there AFTER you have done the tree work. You never know who might be on the recieving end of that sledgehammer!

Hey Treeman,Has this guy paid you yet ?If not maybe he's running short on chicken and figures the 7 1/2' lizard won't know the difference.

Back