How old is this generator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HAVE A similar flat head Kawasaki 2600-watt w/ FA210D engine that, best I could track down***, is about 1985? But memory/ marketing, and believing OHV got the 1990s market , believe many/ most were 1970s to 1980s? Carb, Muffler and engine Model TAG maybe better help? (*** amazing only found one picture on internet ,multiple searches for the FA210D engine/ similar GEN?) MUST NOT have been many imports, THO PARTS DO SEEM TO BE AVAILABLE?

I bought the same generator with green paint and a Coleman sticker brand new during the ice storm that hit central Indiana in 1991. Still runs as well, but like mentioned earlier, insanely loud. I now have an assortment of Hondas, so it only gets ran when someone needs to borrow a generator.

I bought the same generator with green paint and a Coleman sticker brand new during the ice storm that hit central Indiana in 1991. Still runs as well, but like mentioned earlier, insanely loud. I now have an assortment of Hondas, so it only gets ran when someone needs to borrow a generator.
It is pretty obvious I was off a bit on what years I thought that model was made. .

As for loud I have never heard one that was not loud as heck.. Now with that being said I have seen folks with the small Honda's. I have seen them, never heard one because they are so darn quiet you literally cannot hear them. Honda has built some of the best equipment out there.

1 Gal lasts around 3 hrs, theyre kinda thirsty.
Considering the output 4kwh(hopefully continous) it actually is good for fuel consumption! Many modern generators barely manage 1.2 liters per hour for about same kwh or less...
And considering how old it is ,4 liters for 3 hours of 4kwh power/load,it's good enough! 😁
If costs are the problem ,install a propane/LPG kit. Halfs the fuel costs instantly! And the oil+inside of engine run cleaner! Tried and tested on a 7.5kwh generator! Ran all day! Oil stays even cleaner if its synthetic! Summer or winter time/temperatures!

Considering the output 4kwh(hopefully continous) it actually is good for fuel consumption! Many modern generators barely manage 1.2 liters per hour for about same kwh or less...
And considering how old it is ,4 liters for 3 hours of 4kwh power/load,it's good enough! 😁
If costs are the problem ,install a propane/LPG kit. Halfs the fuel costs instantly! And the oil+inside of engine run cleaner! Tried and tested on a 7.5kwh generator! Ran all day! Oil stays even cleaner if its synthetic! Summer or winter time/temperatures!
Only issue is you loose about 1/3 of the power output swapping over to propane.

I hope you realize a LP/NG fueled engine burns more gallons of fuel than a gas or diesel engine. The cost per gallon is generally less but in terms of actual gallons you will burn more. Of course an adavantage of LP is the ability to hook it to a much larger tank thus increasing run time.

I hope you realize a LP/NG fueled engine burns more gallons of fuel than a gas or diesel engine. The cost per gallon is generally less but in terms of actual gallons you will burn more. Of course an adavantage of LP is the ability to hook it to a much larger tank thus increasing run time.
Doesn't matter. I got many LPG canisters. Usually always full,just exchange the empty one with a full one, throw the over one in car,drive 5-10 minutes ,fill it up in 5-10 minutes. Job done, ready for many more hours of whatever I wanna do with that LPG! Couldn't be more convenient! And in an actual converted gas car to LPG ,the fuel consumption will be 1-2 liters more of LPG for every 100kms. Say ,on gasoline it burns 10 liters of fuel, on LPG with a warm engine on a summer day fuel consumption will be 11-12 liters driving the same(like a speed freak) 😁

Only issue is you loose about 1/3 of the power output swapping over to propane.
Probably. No loss in power in my case. Just add more LPG, and call it a day!
Couldn't be more happy with LPG. Oil stays cleaner a longer time/more kms, inside of engine is cleaner no black deposits anywhere,in cylinder head or oil pan, less pollution/smelly exhaust,easy maintenance,no 2-3 fuel pumps and "n" filters like in diesel engines,no fuel injectors worth 300-400 euros like in some engines, life is simpler with a gasoline/LPG engine!
Don't have to believe me,try it yourself!

Many new generators mark the output as PEAK or SURGE which is misleading.
With the age of this, I suspect it's the "full enchilada", continuous rating.
Derate output at high elevation for 1) reduced engine power and 2) thin air reduces cooling efficiency.

Probably. No loss in power in my case. Just add more LPG, and call it a day!
Couldn't be more happy with LPG. Oil stays cleaner a longer time/more kms, inside of engine is cleaner no black deposits anywhere,in cylinder head or oil pan, less pollution/smelly exhaust,easy maintenance,no 2-3 fuel pumps and "n" filters like in diesel engines,no fuel injectors worth 300-400 euros like in some engines, life is simpler with a gasoline/LPG engine!
Don't have to believe me,try it yourself!
You can't compensate just by adding more fuel. You loose about 1/3 of your peak power converting a gasoline engine to propane. Kohler had a seminar, which I attended, and they went over the power loss amd extra fuel consumption. All things being even there isn't much you can do with a conversion.

I have no experience with small engines , but the 2 propane vehicles I have , you can’t tell any loss of power , but they did burn about 10% more fuel… but since propane is sometimes 50% the price of gas , not a concern … the nice thing about propane … shut off the engine .. come back 5 years later & it starts & Runs like yesterday

I have a 1987 Troy-bilt Horse tiller with a 7Hp Briggs just like that, same fuel tank, first digits of the engine number are 171432-xxxx-xx cast iron cylinder, air filter changed from painted to chrome cover. It runs like a horse, only disadvantage is I don't get to use it that often.

I have no experience with small engines , but the 2 propane vehicles I have , you can’t tell any loss of power , but they did burn about 10% more fuel… but since propane is sometimes 50% the price of gas , not a concern … the nice thing about propane … shut off the engine .. come back 5 years later & it starts & Runs like yesterday
What propane vehicles do you have? How big are the tanks?

I have 1 i think is near identical. It did run well but wasn't getting any juice from the outlet. A project I never got to, been in my barn probably at least a decade.p
Well heck just a decade or two? That is a fresh project.:) How many times did I hear my father say "that it is a good winter project" Then my sons heard me say it.

Same thing applies to all conversions, unless the engine was properly designed for propane even then they still don't have the power of their gas or diesel counterparts.

If you look at the old LP delivery trucks. They were LP powered with a 60 gallon tank on the side. Look at them today. We had a farmer north of us that had all LP tractors with teh exception of a IH 1468. He had (3) yes three M-M A4T1600's that were LP.

He also had a 18,000 gallon fuel tank.
Minnie.jpg

I would change the oil and filters at least after 5 years 😁😂
But yes, corectly tuned propane engines run good and long! Plus the "fuel" doesn't go bad! Like a fart 😁🤔

Latest posts

Back