How rescueable are we?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did do it one handed, no wood was attached but I carry at least one webbing sling with me all the time to use as a small redirect or to send 2 limbs. I normally wouldn't use them to climb but in a emergency I could simply clip in with it to the rigging line. And in practice inwas on 1 rope and a wire core lanyard. I clipped rigging line on, unhooked climb line, then kicked out my spikes to take weight off flip line and transfer to rigging, that let me drop the rope grab on the flip line still one handed and inwas headed down

Sounds like a fair test. Would like to see the video if you ever do it again.
I seldom use a spliced rig line and biner because of the side loads on the biner. You can avoid that by using a sling, but then it is just faster for me to tie it on. Your plan fits much better in your work system than it does in my system. More ideas for me to think about.?

I worked with a climber before who used the figure 8 to come down, I'd used them years ago for rock climbing and then forgot about them. The more I think about it the more I like it. You can lower yourself and the groundie can lower you too. The rope can be choked on itself around the stem and you just come down the one rope leg.

I used an eye to eye with pulley on my wire core for the first time last week, took me a little while to trust it fully on a bare stem but its good, looks like the rope grab is history now

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

It was the first device I ever used as a rock climber. Sticht plate has all the advantages that you mentioned of the 8, works on single and doubled ropes, and can be used by either yourself or the groundie to lower you off (if it's attached to you). It's also smaller and lighter and doesn't twist the rope, and just as cheap. Did I mention that I hate devices that twist the rope? ;-)

yeah that's pretty old school ;-) But the modern takes on it like the reverso, the ATC, and every other knock off made by everyone is generally an improvement for all round use. The sticht plate is still my favorite belay (only) device though!

I've used it before, I cannot for the life of me remember when, it worked well, no twists etc :D

I'v learn more about descending devices in this thread then i learned in my whole life. I'v seen the reverso at climbing shops but couldn't figure out how to use one, after watching the video I think I'll buy one. Tell then I always carry a figure 8. I figure in the right situation it could save yours or someone else's life, enabling the ground crew to lower the injured person.
It good to be aware of the limitation we face as far as rescue goes. I climb different today then I did even 10 years ago. I am a safer climber. I always have a second tie in these days when blocking out a spar. I choke the truck with a gri gri and biner, down low. I use a figure 8(now a retired gri gri)when I anchor my SRT line at the base of a tree so I could be lowered in an emergency. In difficult to access trees I like to leave a line above me anchored to the ground so someone could if able get up the tree to rescue me or I them. It's a small thing but quick access could be the difference between life and death. I'll leave the "rescue line", in the tree tell the jobs done.
You have to be flexable and do what each situation dictates. If an accident happens it is just as likely to be a situation you never even thought about or planed for. Like the motto of a true scout, be prepared.

I've been doing some looking and most belay/rappelling devices are designed for skinny rock climbing rope up to 11mm, I use 13mm which really restricts availability. At least that's what I'm finding

Which rope are you climbing on? 13mm is kind of nice in the hand, but as you mentioned it doesn't work too well with most devices, also doesn't go too well with ascenders and SRT stuff. 11.7mm is a pretty good compromise.

Ddrt, Yale xtc 13mm, as you say its lovely in the hand, grippy. I've always used it, its nice in freezing/wet conditions too

16 the same as xtc spearmint but red not green

I've been slowly switching to thinner and thinner lines. I don't even own any 1/2"' line any more. My go line these days is 11mm blaze. A 13mm line won't hardly go through a gri gri, and I use footlocking a lot and it's just as easy to to footlock 11 or 11.5mm then 13mm, with out the extra bulk and weight. I used some 11.7 Lava and it felt pretty good in my hands. Then I use a 1/2" rope these days it fells like a bull line to me.

16 the same as xtc spearmint but red not green

If you're on the 16 you won't have any trouble transitioning to a smaller 16 strand. I find a lot of guys don't like going from 12 strand to 16 even if they're only on 1/2". blue moon/poison ivy is pretty nice. Maybe get a short length like 75' and start using it on smaller trees. You'll start liking it soon enough ;-)

A tricky rescue scenario that I think is worth considering is a tall single leader, branches removed, top removed, climber just on flipline and using climbing line as flipline, the climber can be a challenge to reach and descending with them can be challenging too.

When I'm in this situation, really whenever I'm blocking out etc I have my flipline as normal, and clip my lifeline off on itself choking it and creating an SRT line, it takes 1/2 a second to do, and if something goes wrong I've got an access line; the rescuer can ascend quick, set up their line and bring me down on my line as is. (I adapted this technique from similar ones taught by Odis Sisk at aerial rescue seminar in Aus last year)

Thoughts..?

Well, in short, this is I how I approach it:

I know that when my carabiner is shut, it will hold. The rest?
Its a gamble, luck of the draw.

A tricky rescue scenario that I think is worth considering is a tall single leader, branches removed, top removed, climber just on flipline and using climbing line as flipline, the climber can be a challenge to reach and descending with them can be challenging too.

When I'm in this situation, really whenever I'm blocking out etc I have my flipline as normal, and clip my lifeline off on itself choking it and creating an SRT line, it takes 1/2 a second to do, and if something goes wrong I've got an access line; the rescuer can ascend quick, set up their line and bring me down on my line as is. (I adapted this technique from similar ones taught by Odis Sisk at aerial rescue seminar in Aus last year)

Thoughts..?

To me, that scenario is probably one of the easiest, at least if your rescuer is another tree climber. Spur right up that thing in no time flat, use my pole belt or a sling to set a TIP, use my or your rope through it, clip your body to me with your pole belt, cut your line as needed with hand saw and away we go. I don't see that you make yourself any more rescueable by choking your life line off, and if anything you make retreat for yourself harder unless you are an SRT climber and already setup to descend SRT. Climbers don't have gear at hand generally to ascend or lower off SRT, and if they do it's generally not adjustable enough in terms of friction for a two person lower off.

One of the big beefs I have with most rescue techniques taught are that they are too gear intensive and complicated, and that most guys are not going to have that gear on site and ready to go or be familiar enough with using it to confidently effect a rescue without scratching their head when the pressure is on.

Back