How rescueable are we?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tricky rescue scenario that I think is worth considering is a tall single leader, branches removed, top removed, climber just on flipline and using climbing line as flipline, the climber can be a challenge to reach and descending with them can be challenging too.

When I'm in this situation, really whenever I'm blocking out etc I have my flipline as normal, and clip my lifeline off on itself choking it and creating an SRT line, it takes 1/2 a second to do, and if something goes wrong I've got an access line; the rescuer can ascend quick, set up their line and bring me down on my line as is. (I adapted this technique from similar ones taught by Odis Sisk at aerial rescue seminar in Aus last year)

Thoughts..?
That is exactly what I do. I cary a figure eight with me at all times for that situation exactly. Usually I leave a biner on the end of my line with an anchor hitch and figure I would just throw it around what ever and where ever throw the figure eight in and hope I have done it quickly enough that i have not passed out or transpired. Maybe not the best situation but the one I have worked through the most in my head. Imagineero has a a good point electricians do the pole scenario all the time so that does not other me the one that bothers me is the one way out a limb. Hence why I have gone for the scenario I developed.

I hear about rescue plans and rescue techniques, but has anyone you know ever done one? Nobody working for me even has a clue, and I don't bother to have a second set of climbing equipment around.

By the time you have a second climber on site, gear up, and proceed to do a rescue...isn't it probably a bit late? Don't the firemen and the ladder truck get there first? And generally too late, also?

To me, that scenario is probably one of the easiest, at least if your rescuer is another tree climber. Spur right up that thing in no time flat, use my pole belt or a sling to set a TIP, use my or your rope through it, clip your body to me with your pole belt, cut your line as needed with hand saw and away we go. I don't see that you make yourself any more rescueable by choking your life line off, and if anything you make retreat for yourself harder unless you are an SRT climber and already setup to descend SRT. Climbers don't have gear at hand generally to ascend or lower off SRT, and if they do it's generally not adjustable enough in terms of friction for a two person lower off.

One of the big beefs I have with most rescue techniques taught are that they are too gear intensive and complicated, and that most guys are not going to have that gear on site and ready to go or be familiar enough with using it to confidently effect a rescue without scratching their head when the pressure is on.

I am an SRT climber so always have the gear on me when I'm climbing, and with this system the rescuer goes up on the access line and sets up his own line so each person descends on their own line. As I am an SRT Climber I'm much quicker ascending when I have an access line, as is my secondary climber who is familiar with my setup.

I agree that many rescue techniques are gear intensive, this one uses only the gear I climb with normally. I have adapted it to meet my needs using the gear I have on hand; that is a fair point that this is not suitable for many climbers as they may not have the gear.

Either way making the retreat harder isn't an issue, you could revert to your scenario; you cut their line with your handsaw and set up a new line for you both to descend on, it at worst give the option of using an access line which you may not find helpful but i would.

Dan

I have been with this thread from the beginning. 4th post, right after your third.

I don't see your point. Please elaborate.

By the time you have a second climber on site, gear up, and proceed to do a rescue...isn't it probably a bit late? Don't the firemen and the ladder truck get there first? And generally too late, also?

These questions have already been asked and answered in post #3, post #18, posts #22-24,

One thing this last week has taught me is that no matter how rescuable you make yourself, if you drop a branch onto ??Kv without letting go, any rescue plan is irrelevant. Don't know much about it but 22yrs old is too young, poor bugger

These questions have already been asked and answered in post #3, post #18, posts #22-24,

I was responding to #98 & #100, in an attempt to return to the original topic of the thread "How rescue-able are we". I'm sorry that you don't see the point I was making. I had, however, forgotten about your extensive experience in the field of rescue.

Back