how to best cut up a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimFX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a big old Oak that has to come down, what is the best way to cut it up to make lumber both when using the chain saw to take it down and then a BSM to carve it up. There must be some knowledge somewhere as to how best to do this, I just don't seem to find it.
Thanks in advance.
jim

It depends on how long you want the boards and if you have a tractor or something to move the log to a good milling position. How big is your tree you want to work up?

It also depends on what your plans for the wood are. Are you going to make something out of it? Are you going to try to sell it?
You might want to check out quarter sawing oak. It gives it a very different and distinct grain pattern, but is also harder to do and wastes more wood.

Thanks for your reply ....
Well I was thinking using some for my own projects and possibly selling some.
I could easily get 1 and possibly 2, 10 foot long logs.
Yes I do have a tractor to move these around.
Since I am new to this I really don't have a base for making a good call on where and how to cut it up....
hence my question.

Check out the milling stickies. Most put the log on an incline if possible so they don't have to push as much and let gravity help them out.

It would also help to know the diameter of the larger piece. You may be able to go straight to the band saw mill without chain saw milling it first (my Norwood can handle up to 34" diameter logs). 2tree's advice about allowing 6" trim on the length is good. You could also cut them 8'6" and 12'6", if that meets your needs better. Most woodworkers would cut the 12' logs in half anyway. I've found that with careful cutting, I can yield about 40% quarter sawn lumber without sacrificing quantity, though it takes longer to mill. If you can find a local sawyer that you can work on from the start, you'll be ahead of the game. Only other advice is to not hang around during the milling process. Otherwise you could get hooked on it. It is too late for me... Good luck, & be careful!

Cut the log length 6" longer then you want the boards to be to allow for shrinkage. So make those 10' logs 10'6".

Logs/lumber don't "shrink" in length! They shrink in "width"...

I still cut them 6" long though, so I can trim off any splitting/checking on the ends later.

SR

I still cut them 6" long though, so I can trim off any splitting/checking on the ends later.

SR

Plus, on some mills, the bunks are on 4' centers. Milling a log exactly 8' long can be a pain in the neck.

SR

Every green log I cut shrunk a little in length. Plus it gives you plenty of room to square up the board and also cut out any cracks on the board ends.

Quarter sawing takes more time but does not waste more wood

Radial sawing wastes wood and takes more time. Many people confuse the two different but similar milling techniques.:msp_rolleyes:

Every green log I cut shrunk a little in length. Plus it gives you plenty of room to square up the board and also cut out any cracks on the board ends.

SO, how much shorter do the walls get on a house that's built with green lumber?? Will a pole barn grow in height when the poles in the ground get wet??

SR

Wood shrinks longitudinally from green to air dry by about 0.1%. To answer your question, a green 10' long pole barn will shrink roughly 1/8" to it's air dry length. If you put a kiln dry pole 2' in the ground, your barn will lift a little less than 1/32" as it takes up moisture. To quote Dr. Suess "This is very big news, it's important you know. So that's why I'm bothering telling you so.":msp_tongue:

Wood shrinks longitudinally from green to air dry by about 0.1%.
Some even more important info . . . . . . . :msp_biggrin:
According to Hoadley in "Understanding Wood", p116, 0.1% is for clear grain mature wood. Juvenile and reaction wood can shrink linearly by up to 2%. Longitudinal shrinkage may be small but may also not be uniform especially when a tree experiences significant changes in growth between years and this may contribute to otherwise unexplained severe warping in straight grained lumber. Of course no amount of over cutting the length will help the latter.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feed back. I am hoping to get a mill myself and saw these bad boys up.
The largest log is 34" by 11 feet long and I can hardly move it with the tractor,
and when I say move it I mean by rolling it up the small incline.

I am looking at the Noorwood 34 because it seems able to do the job however since I have never had a mill I am looking to actually see one first.

Then to decide how to cut it up .... and on that note what is the most common width for lumber 1" 2"???
I know I would like one table top and maybe a fireplace mantel.

I am looking at the Noorwood 34 because it seems able to do the job however since I have never had a mill I am looking to actually see one first.

Then to decide how to cut it up .... and on that note what is the most common width for lumber 1" 2"???
I know I would like one table top and maybe a fireplace mantel.

Jim, you're welcome to come over and play with mine. Bring your log with you, if you like-- it will handle it! I'm in southwest MO, about 20 miles south of Joplin. Otherwise, you can contact Norwood and find out who has one in your area.

As far as thickness, start with the desired finished dimension and work backwards. Figure on losing about 10% thickness in the drying,then another 1/8" (1/16" from each side) from the planer. So if you want a finished 2" thick board, start out with (2+.125) x 1.10=2.34, or about 2-3/8" thick.

If you're thinking about buying a mill, you must have the sawdust bug pretty bad. Do you have other milling projects, or are you thinking about starting a business?

Thanks for the info .... I have called Noorwood and asked for someone in my area ... however if I can't get someone close I may just take you up on your kind offer.

Right now I have 8 logs to work on ... 2 cherry and the rest oak with three more walnut offered to me.
So I guess you could say i am interested in getting started. Not really looking to make a living cause I don't know enough yet and not sure I could ..... really just want to have some fun.
Of course like anything else this begs a platform to put it on, a kiln to dry wood in a reasonable time, a place to store the cut wood etc.
My wife says great just don't ask me to come out and help mill .... I think I am good to go.
: )

Back