How to clean tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I have been given a husky 285, saw has sat in shed for years. The gas line is rotted off and tank is a mess. What is the best to use to clean the tank? I tried search function but it would not work.

I'd stick with gasoline or other solvents similar to gas. More aggresive solvents may affect the integrity of the plastic tank. Pour some in and swish it around, possibly use a bottle brush to loosen up stuck crud (a toothbrush may work if you're quick, it may dissolve).

In the metal tank, just put in some acetone and reseal the tank. Leave for a while, even over night - it will dissolve away all the old rubber junk. A couple more quick passes after that with clean fluid and you're good to go.

I take mine over to the parts washer, stick the nozzle in the tank and turn it on. Does a nice job cleaning it out, works for the oil tank to. You need a parts washer though.

If you've got gooped up rubber particles from an old fuel line line in the tank, acetone or lacquer thinner works wonderful. I had a Homelite 123 where the fuel line had disintegrated and the tank was covered with what looked almost like tar. A bit of acetone and a little patience and it came out looking like new. Be careful not to spill any on the outside though or it can ruin the paint.

Dan

Latest posts

Back