How to cut this tree oposite from the lean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The holding wood on maples sucks, bigtime. They are fine to pull over slowly if you are pulling them totally opposite their lean, (backwards). If you pull them slowly and they lean two ways, the holding wood can snap and they will fall where they naturally lean. In this case its best to pull them fast.

Also they have a tendency to barberchair, so wrap the butt above the undercut with a chain or bull rope before you make the backcut.

this post reminds me of some homeowner that gets it in his head that's something is dangerous and he just keeps getting opinions until someone tells him what he wants too hear. it looks like there is plenty of wind shear protection in the area anyways. if you want to cut it down, do it, but i don't think you are going to convince any of us that it is a "problem" tree.

i'd leave the tree.

call an arborist out to thin it out for sun light and lyme the hell out of the soil and replant grass.annual rye should get you green in a couple weeks with good watering practice.mix the annual rye with your permanant seed such as fescue.

that soil looks pretty compacted.rent an aerator as well and give it hell.i wouldn't use a tiller because of the possibility of damaging the roots of the trees.

this post reminds me of some homeowner that gets it in his head that's something is dangerous and he just keeps getting opinions until someone tells him what he wants too hear. it looks like there is plenty of wind shear protection in the area anyways. if you want to cut it down, do it, but i don't think you are going to convince any of us that it is a "problem" tree.

I couldn't leave well enough alone.

You make a very valid point. The title of this post is "How to cut this tree oposite from the lean" (Even though I spelled it wrong). Not "Should I cut this down or leave it standing?"

There has been a great deal of advice here that I greatly respect. Your post states the obvious though. I do think it is dangerous and I was wondering how to cut it down. Thanks for your input and contribution to the thread.

I was wondering how to cut it down.
i wood use the ol sawzaw and lay er across the wire so it cant hit the house, but if i was u id call my local landscraper and try n save a few bucks. Arborists charge way too much fer tree work!

I couldn't leave well enough alone.

You make a very valid point. The title of this post is "How to cut this tree oposite from the lean" (Even though I spelled it wrong). Not "Should I cut this down or leave it standing?"

There has been a great deal of advice here that I greatly respect. Your post states the obvious though. I do think it is dangerous and I was wondering how to cut it down. Thanks for your input and contribution to the thread.

oh, my bad. yeah, so you throw an extension cord over the lowest limb and have your neighbor pull on it while you work the sawzall using a back and forth motion. good luck.

You could give it another year and find a way to tell for sure that it is leaning more.

It doesn't look all that bad really.

But if you want to kill it, why not let someone else share the guilt. ;)

A good conscience is sometimes priceless you know. :angel:

Hire a professional tree killer. Like me, I kill so many in a daze time, I've gone totally numb. :help:

Now, people and property come first. Makes me love and care for properly placed and healthy trees even more. :clap:

Just promise to plant a better suited tree in its place and everthing is going to be alright!! :cheers:

Perhaps a nicely suited evergreen or two of your choice would look great in that area. :)

Last edited:
call an arborist out to thin it out for sun light and lyme the hell out of the soil and replant grass.annual rye should get you green in a couple weeks with good watering practice.mix the annual rye with your permanant seed such as fescue.

that soil looks pretty compacted.rent an aerator as well and give it hell.i wouldn't use a tiller because of the possibility of damaging the roots of the trees.

Much like tree trimming, lawn problems sometimes require a better understanding to solve. You might consider calling a lawn expert from your area.

1. NEVER apply lime without a soil test. You may just make the problem worse, rather than better. In any event, a soil test will tell you how much to apply, if needed. Why risk putting the wrong amount down, or the expense of an unnecessary application ?

2. Soil compaction is hard to evaluate from a picture, but it's almost always ok to do. The more aeration, the better, but I don't think it will solve your problem.

3. The old practice of planting annual rye as a "nursery" crop has fallen into disfavor, particulary with turf type fescue. According to most turf experts, all it does is add competition for the perennial grass. Fescue germinates about as fast as rye, anyway.

Last edited:
Tree is leaning to the open. Pruning it to balance would be simple and cheap and lower the risk immensely. You value the color and do not value grass; do not let a tornado downtown drive you to kill your assets.

do not let a tornado downtown drive you to kill your assets.
You know a little too much about me. I got some crappy pictures of hail the size of a softball.

I've had a lot of good advice here. I'm gonna let it ride; but if it falls I swear to Christ you're all coming to help clean the mess.

You know a little too much about me. I got some crappy pictures of hail the size of a softball.
Nah, not you personally, anyway...I have dealt with arborphobia for some time now.

Yes I will be there to clean up the mess, first chance i get. But I will be traveling from huntsville to atlanta on the first of april, so if you want a professional pruning job done that is guaranteed to reduce the risk and retain the benefits, drop me a line.

dropping the tree

All you need is a couple guys that know what there doing and a good rope and wedges. If you are really worried about it you could always use a cable and attach it to a come along. that will pull the top of the tree right over in the direction you want it to go. You could always also attach a rope in a notch of a tree or around a big branch and have someone pull on the rope and operate the come along. If you do this you shouldn't have a problem taking the tree down.

Latest posts

Back