How to cut this tree oposite from the lean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have these two maple trees on the side of my house. They have blocked out the sun in the past years and I have not been able to grow grass. I killed it the first year here when I didn't rake in the fall. (my bad)

I didn't want to cut either down, but the loss of vegetation and the resulting erosion is causing the tree to lean toward the house and main power line. It looks like a good 15 degree lean. I am attaching pictures from a year ago and today. They don't match up perfect but you see what I am dealing with.

i agree with treeco. but there are ways to bring it over. use a mechanical advantage of some sort. if you aren't too sure what i mean by that let me know and include what you have in the way of ropes and pullies or as a last resort sigh... a come along. but don't just take the ball and run with it if you're not real sure how to go about it. you will need at least an extra guy who knows how to run the system you design and good cuts. keep us posted.

side note: are you sure it's not just phototropic growth (away from another tree and toward the sun)? in which case the root structure would likely be just fine. although the roots are probably fine either way. are you sure it's leaning more this year than last?

keep us in the loop!
kevin

pakisandra it loves the shade and you don't have to mow it. Spreads like a wildfire though. I agree with above posts. Grass is overrated even though I do make a living cutting a bit.

Last edited:
It always makes me sad when people talk about removing trees because the grass will not grow. Lawns suck! Trees rock!
I agree whole heartedly. I could care less about the grass. The rest of the yard looks like spit. I'm worried about the tree falling toward the garage.

I'm going to take a picture from the same angle and post. I thought I was at the same place but after I downloaded I saw otherwise. I don't have any equipment other than a couple of chainsaws. And a few aircraft cargo straps, but I don't see them working as well as a come-a-long.

A couple pulleys and sufficient rope will be a lot cheaper than a garage, house, or hospital bill. If you decide to do it yourself, dont skimp on equipment

Unfortunately the angle of the old pictures don't really show the lean very well. Here is the same angle.

Leanto 3 shows a pretty significant lean that worries me.

i just don't see the hazard. is the soil up rooting? also, ARE THERE ANY TREES THAT ARE NEARBY THAT THEY MIGHT BE GROWING AWAY FROM? this is usually the case and if so, poses no threat whatsoever. what you are looking for is this: loose and up heaving soil opposite the lean or significant root and flare rot or trunk decay. i don't see either. it is likely that what you have on your hands is a perfectly heathy tree.

i'm sure the other guys are wondering the same things as me, so let us know.
kevin

in my opinion lawns never come before trees, clean it up, prune them a little, add a small amount of soil then put a large mulch ring around the trees.
as for making it look more attractive use some low maitenence ground cover and hostas, from the pics these are healthy trees, you wouldn't want to cut a healthy tree down would you.

i just don't see the hazard. is the soil up rooting? also, ARE THERE ANY TREES THAT ARE NEARBY THAT THEY MIGHT BE GROWING AWAY FROM? this is usually the case and if so, poses no threat whatsoever. what you are looking for is this: loose and up heaving soil opposite the lean or significant root and flare rot or trunk decay.

No dirt upheaval. The tree you see to the rear is 15-20 feet away. Taking this picture I am facing North. There is a big poplar about 30 feet to the Soutwest.

I have raised the canopy in the last couple of years. I really like the tree when it changes color in the fall. I think it is either a sugar maple or red maple though I'm not sure. It's riddled with woodpecker holes.

The tree is very healthy. No rot or decay to speak of. I made a rake handle out of one of the tree limbs that works fine.

The only tools you need are a telephone. Call your local arborist get his opinion and make a decision based on his two cents. Then when you decide its still dangerous in spite of his best recomendation hire him to do the work. He will be insured and has a plethera of experience that doesnt leave him guessing what he is doing. Tree work is dangerous and hard for people who do it much less people who dont do it. Someone out in your town needs the work so give them a call.

trick for opposite lean

if indeed the tree does need to come down here is a little trick for felling against the lean. first you will want to drop as many limbs on back cut side to decrease the weight toward your garage. then start with a plunge cut on your back cut side and push all the way through the tree. the cut is to be right in the middle of the tree, now use a side to side motion to give you a little room on either side of your wedge(make sure you don't cut off your holding wood). this allows you to insert a wedge early in the process. the wedge should be pounded in as far as possible, giving you lift to the back side of your tree. now you can start on your face and sloping cut. your face cut can be more than 1/3 but don't go over 1/2. you should see some lift after this step. pound your wedge in until it stops. now you can start on the rest of your back cut. the trick here is not to cut your wedge if the diameter of your tree is as small as it looks. start on the side that has the most back lean to it. cut until you have an inch or two of hinge wood, then set another wedge. now you can cut the other side and that should do the trick for you. you should know that this is not an easy cut to perform, use of a rope is a good idea. if you need further clarification let me know.

Last edited:
i hope you're joking tom, and if not, please explain your rationale. i'm always curios to hear people's reasons for topping a tree.

Last edited:
i hope you're joking tom, and if not, please explain your rationale. i'm always curios to hear people's reasons for topping a tree.

I think he's just trying to get a rise out of eveyone. If he's seious, just disregard this post petersonj20, topping will cause you more problems.

Let it grow some more !

it is only leaning away from the tree to the south- it's fine.

I agree. I don't see any problem, unless you don't like the tree.

If you don't know how to cut it down already, this is probably not the tree to start learning on. Pay some tree service to put it on the ground for you, if you want it to go away.

Looks like about a $75 job to me, if all you want is the tree on the ground.

Thanks nssailer for some technique.

I'm still unsure what I want to do. Trees are cool and I love them but I like the house better. This last weeks LARGE storm in Georgia makes me sway more to the cutting down. After all I can live without the tree but not the house. If it were to fall with the lean it would actually miss the house but it would take out the power line and vehicles.

I appreciate all the advice here. I'm just worried about it. I have attached a drawing of the layout.

Tree looks fine to me, but if you want to cut it ge a pro to put it on the ground and you can cut it up. A pro would put a rope in it and pull it over, done. You can't risk trying this yourself because of the lean to the house and property. Easy to do damage if you don't know exactly what you are doing and what you are looking at.

Latest posts

Back