How to diagnose a failing clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcquade

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a ms251. When running it I hear a rattle in the clutch area. The chain does not move when I let off gas. That's all cuts and runs just fine. There is no slippage or anything with the chain. The chain stops when the break is engaged. I am wondering if the clutch is going out or is this something that is common? Is there something else that could be causing the rattle? I took the clutch apart and everything looked good, A little dirty and I cleanedthat up. I do not recall the rattle when this all is new. I have two ms170s and they don't rattle either.

Have you checked the crankshaft where the clutch bearing rides? Could be worn, allowing excess play in the bearing. If the crank is not worn, check how the rim sprocket fits on the clutch splines. If OK, try replacing the bearing. I've had saws that rattle like this but never had a problem.

Ive seen clutches with worn star, or shoes, and the shoes rattle a bit, but mostly its from the circlip washer rattling around.
When you say its running and making the noise, do you mean when its cutting, its noisy, or when the chain is stationary, you get the rattle then ?

Best to take the clutch drum off and take some pictures, as has already been requested.

Ive seen oil drive gears stick to the crank, and the drive wire that indexes with the clutch drum rim groove, flail around under the clutch drum making a racket too.

but its all guesses till we see some clear pics.

Ah, good to know, when you originally said that you had taken it apart, I assumed that you had inspected that and re greased it too.
bet the drum had less wobble with the new bearing then .

Ah, good to know, when you originally said that you had taken it apart, I assumed that you had inspected that and re greased it too.
bet the drum had less wobble with the new bearing then .
I am new to working on my saws. Not even sure what to look fir to tell if parts are worn. Definitely not a good inspector. Have a happy new year.

I am new to working on my saws. Not even sure what to look fir to tell if parts are worn. Definitely not a good inspector. Have a happy new year.
Well, you have posted about it here and are willing to learn, there are many clever, experienced mechs here to help you learn, and the only silly question is the one you dont ask. So your in a good place now.
I am sure in a years time, you will look back and think, oh how basic, but at the moment your at the start of your learning journey.

Happy new year to you too.

I have a ms251. When running it I hear a rattle in the clutch area. The chain does not move when I let off gas. That's all cuts and runs just fine. There is no slippage or anything with the chain. The chain stops when the break is engaged. I am wondering if the clutch is going out or is this something that is common? Is there something else that could be causing the rattle? I took the clutch apart and everything looked good, A little dirty and I cleanedthat up. I do not recall the rattle when this all is new. I have two ms170s and they don't rattle either.
REPLACE NEEDLE BEARING AND OIL/GREASE per OM schedule?

Latest posts

Back