How to disassemble an MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, folks!

I happened onto an MS290 that has low compression and needs a carb kit. Dissasembling the fuel end of things looks like a piece of cake. The piston and cylinder look pretty good so I'm just gong to clean things up and re-ring it. All in all, it's a pretty sharp looking saw. I'm more of a Husky guy and getting the cylinder off looks bizarre to me. Anyone have an IPL for this saw? Thanks in advance!

Hi, folks!

I happened onto an MS290 that has low compression and needs a carb kit. Dissasembling the fuel end of things looks like a piece of cake. The piston and cylinder look pretty good so I'm just gong to clean things up and re-ring it. All in all, it's a pretty sharp looking saw. I'm more of a Husky guy and getting the cylinder off looks bizarre to me. Anyone have an IPL for this saw? Thanks in advance!

Removing the cylinder off that saw requires quite abit of disassembly. If you turn the saw over and look at the bottom of it you will see some big screw torx heads. There are four total that bolt that cylinder to the housing. The handle housing has to be removed, the clutch, flywheel and alot of odds and ends to get that entire engine assembly out of the housing. Check the compression first and if it has good compression leave it alone, its not worth the trouble to remove. If its low on compression and you really want to open it up allow yourself a few hours and get a special ring compressor made just for that saw, without it your in for a headche bigtime putting it back together. Its cheap, only a few bucks but without it its a nitemare getting the piston and rings back into the cylinder..

ms 290

im a stihl guy and like the other said, unless you absilutly NEED to go into the p/c.....dont, big pain, however if you are going to i can e mail you a p/c break down pic for you, or any other you may need pm me ur e mail and let me know what you want

They come apart pretty easily. (Like a cheap watch) The fuel lines and wires are a bit fumbly but really not a big deal. Had this one in a heap in under an hour. If you pull the jug, throw a set of main bearings and seals at it too. The bearings can be found at NAPA for cheap. The seals are only available from Stihl but are cheap too. Get yourself an oil pump while you're at it.

Not really a need for a ring compressor if you don't have one. Get the piston in the jug before you put it in the saw and goes pretty easy.

ms290.jpg

EDIT: Yes, it's back together and cutting well!!

ms290done.jpg

jim

Last edited:
Andre,

If you need step by step detailed instructions send me a pm along with your email address.

get a special ring compressor made just for that saw, without it your in for a headche bigtime putting it back together. ..

I saw this before when either Tommy or Andy mentioned it. I just went through my 029super and reringed it for fun (had a bearing noise). I never had any problems at all. actually easier than the normal jugs as (mine anyway) mine has ramps made in the transfers, I just set the rings at the post on one side and pushed the piston right on in. maybe I was holding my mouth right or something. no, I'm not going to take it apart to see if I can do it again!!
-Ralph

I just rebuilt a 029 that my cousin got in a box for free. Actually was not that hard to do in my opinion either. I thought the piston actually went together easier than some other models. Getting the bar stud out of the crankcase was hardest part of the job. After reassembly I was also suprised by the power of this saw. I know it is a homeowner plastic case model, but it does have good power for its size and seems like a pretty decent saw for ocasional use.

I saw this before when either Tommy or Andy mentioned it. I just went through my 029super and reringed it for fun (had a bearing noise). I never had any problems at all. actually easier than the normal jugs as (mine anyway) mine has ramps made in the transfers, I just set the rings at the post on one side and pushed the piston right on in. maybe I was holding my mouth right or something. no, I'm not going to take it apart to see if I can do it again!!
-Ralph

Your a lucky man, grrrrrrrrrrrr. I recall the first 290 I did without knowing about the special ring compressor and fought with it for what seemed like forever getting the rings past the bottom of the cylinder. I got it back together but I thought what a bi-ch. I ordered both specail ring compressors the next day and it makes it so much easier to pop the piston back in there.
It can be done without the compressor but with it things sure go much easier. For those that may want one they make two, 1127-893-2601 and 1127-893-2602. These two fit the whole family, 029/290-039/390 and 310. Cost about 3.50 apiece.

Ralph you was doing something quite right, you lucky dog you!!!wink!

Easiest way is to drop it off a 5 story building. ;)

When I saw the title to the thread, the quote above was the first thing to come to mind, except I would have gone a couple more flights up and tossed an anvil after it just to make sure it came apart for good..

I had that same thought once when a friend of mine had his brother feed his 290 straight gas. I thought, "Heck, I'll yank the cylinder off and see if I can save it like I did my 346." I posted here for an IPL. One look at that and the workshop manual convinced me to hand it back and tell him that it was time to buy a new saw. His brother bought him a 310.

Ian

I wouldnt know, I dont own a 455. :)

"At least with the 455 I can undo 3 screws, take off the top cover and brush off around the cylinder fins. How long does it take you on the 290?"

My mistake, I read the above post of yours from another thread and thought you owned one, cuse me. However, the man asked for some sincere help with his , he didn't ask for a smart azz answer from someone that doesn't like the 290. If ya don't like it thats fine but spare the bull when someone is asking for some mere help.

When I saw the title to the thread, the quote above was the first thing to come to mind, except I would have gone a couple more flights up and tossed an anvil after it just to make sure it came apart for good..

I had that same thought once when a friend of mine had his brother feed his 290 straight gas. I thought, "Heck, I'll yank the cylinder off and see if I can save it like I did my 346." I posted here for an IPL. One look at that and the workshop manual convinced me to hand it back and tell him that it was time to buy a new saw. His brother bought him a 310.

Ian

310 is the same saw just slightly bigger engine. For what its worth the 290 isn't that hard to take apart but its nothing like the pro models. Once you do one its nothing hard but more time consuming to do, much more than your typical pro saw.

I just set the rings at the post on one side and pushed the piston right on in. maybe I was holding my mouth right or something. no, I'm not going to take it apart to see if I can do it again!!
-Ralph

I have done a few myself, I bought the plastic Stihl V notched ring compressor and after saying a few choice words I chunked it back in the saw box and followed Ralphs lead,,, really not that bad but,,, Id rather do the pro style split crankcase saws if I had my druthers,,,,and no,,, I wont take it apart again either!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

310 is the same saw just slightly bigger engine.

Yep, I know. He missed a great opportunity there to put the money his brother was giving him toward a better saw. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad saw, It'll cut a bunch of firewood and probably never give him a moment's trouble if he maintains it properly, but when this one goes, he will again be looking at buying a new one instead of repairing the old.

Ian

Unfortunately the saw was pretty weak on compression.. the guy I got it from said he measured it at 60lbs.. however, when I dumped fuel in the carb, the saw piped up pretty well... tells me that even if compression is bad, it's probably not 60 lbs. But Holy Moses! The jugs on my other saws leap off by themselves compared to this one! I did it, though... what a smokin' pile of rubble! I did also manage to get the jug off without removing the flywheel and clutch (the ignition was not so lucky.) The piston and cylinder appear flawless, the rings are just shot. I have some on order, they should be in early next week. The only question I have is.... are all those parts REALLY necessary?

Those of you who have been successful at pulling it apart and putting it back together....you may consider yourself gifted. Thanks, guys!

DIS assembly

The biggest thing to remember on these saws, is to get all other parts out of the way before you try to get to the motor itself.
Reminds me of the 350 olds diesel. Nobody in the shop would touch them. You just kept removing things until you got down to the parts you needed to work on.
I can take one apart on about 10 to 15 minutes. If you need to work around something, remove it.

Yep, I know. He missed a great opportunity there to put the money his brother was giving him toward a better saw. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad saw, It'll cut a bunch of firewood and probably never give him a moment's trouble if he maintains it properly, but when this one goes, he will again be looking at buying a new one instead of repairing the old.

Ian

I agree, if you need to buy a new cylinder and piston for one and pay someone labor you may as well buy a new saw. I've found the 290 family a very rare saw on this site. Reason I say that is because on here its hated with a passion mostly yet the folks I sell them to love them. I've sold many and rarely get a complaint and rarely have one cause alot of issues other than those that, like you memtioned, use pure gas instead of mix. Had one yesterday as a prime example of operator, not the saw, was the culprit. Check out the fuel mix.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back