How to get the state-of-the-art big picture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this site for the last couple of weeks, in the pursuit of using professional tools and techniques as a recreational tree climber. I feel like I've gotten lots details about the latest hitches to use and ways to rig a saddle, but feel like I'm still missing the big picture, probably because of my lack of experience.

For instance, I've been reading about the Distal hitch, which I've never come across in my other reading. From what I gather, some folks are using this hitch, with the carabiner and rope-tending mini-pulley, as an ascender knot, like a Prussic or Blake's. I can't figure out how this works efficiently, because it looks like it would slump over on the upward thrust, then take 6-12 inches of drop to reset.

Others seem to be using the Distal on their lanyard, as a one-handed length adjustment. I can see how this would work out. However, from my other reading, I thought the latest thing was split-tailed lanyards adjusted with a Prussic or Gibbs-like device.

So, overall, I think I'm seeing the trees but missing the forest [apt analogy]. Is there a unified source of information on the latest tools and techniques, or is the latest so recent that I should just get the details here and there, and try to put it all together myself?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm really enjoying reading your posts here.

-Kevin Zembower

You're experiencing "Future Shock" Did you ever read that book, I think by Alvin Topfler, back in the seventies? So much information is available and the "latest" keeps moving ahead at an ungraspable pace that we get overwhelmed.

You're right, you have to play catch-up. There is no one-source place for what is happening other than staying in touch with the various arbo forums. Since this site doesn't allow us to cross post to other discussion forums, I'll send you a seperate email with forums from around the world.

Do you have a copy of The Tree Climbers Companion? That is mandatory reading for anyone who climbs or works with climbers. Before you buy another biner or sling, read "The Book"

Welcome to the club!

Tom

Sherrill catalog might help.

All distel's i have seen is split tail, ie. all friction hitches that take both ends are tied split tail (though i guess that isn't mandatorty) a split tail, is just a seperate piece of line for friction hitch, wether be tautline, blakes or newer.

If pulley is held in place by dead ended leg to saddle, it can be held right under friction hitch, for no slack till adjustment, ie. no play in tending operation. A short bridge (Length of line betwixt saddle connection and friction hitch) lessens any play without pulley going to opposite leg of line for fixed support.

Also, pulling across on teneded line rather than down, reduces amount of play that has to be removed before tender enacts.

Knut, doesn't need a seperate tender, as it mostly takes care of that itself.

Not likely to find a lot of refrences to these topics, this place and others like it are a gold mine for such things. Person-ally, i think this place has the most dynamic flow for sharing.

All this stands in addition to Tom's suggestions. I would get that book (order upstairs, get catalogue too) and start with no split tail on Tautline, and follow the evolution. this would give you a common base of experience with other climbers and writings; also invoke real respect and reason for the upgrades.

Take care,
-KC
:alien:

Thanks. Books on order

Thanks, Tom and KC, both the Companion and Sherrill's are on order.

I read through Sherrill's 2002 thinking it was the source for state-of-the-art, but I guess a lot can change in a year.

Thanks, again.

-Kevin

That is pretty good advice, Brian did share his trials and apprehensions, that probably would be more helpfull showing you the route, than yelling at you from on top of the mountain to just figure it out and git yo'butt up here. This even started before he started on this journey, and questioning why even try.......

Of course these questions have come up before, this link may be dated by now with all the new info, but perhaps not a bad place to survey anyway.

Help Getting Started Thread

Be carefull, tread this path slow and strong, miss nothing!
-KC

On the tress hitch and climbing- I will footlock it most of the time and asvance the knot with one hand.

On short pitches I will iether bodythrust or hand over hand haul myself up then advance the knot after a few feet are hanging below me.

For me the latest isn't always the greatest. When I moved from the tautline to a blakes hitch, all any one could talk about was the Machard Tress. I was real resistant to try it because there was more that I felt I needed to learn about the Blakes Hitch and some other gadgets and gismos I had picked up. I wasn't ready to advance yet. Its been the same with a lot of other techniques also. By the time I'm ready to give it a try, the world has moved on.

The point is, nobody but you can decide what is the BEST. What is best for you is what fits your climbing style, experience, and comfort level. Most likely that will differ some from what is the latest rage.

Louie Hampton

Dittos to all the good advice. The short bridge Distel is realy a gem. I started the switch to new techniques about the same time as Brian (aka Rocky J,aka TC165). I switched to tress cords and a Swabisch briefly. It tended to lock down so I moved on to the Valdotain Tress.-I loved it but it is a "sloppy" hitch. After reading all of Brian's posts about the Distel which he seemed to have settled on I had to "back up" and test it- It is GREAT. With a short bridge it tends wonderfully and behaves perfectly.:cool:

As a novice tree climber, I can relate to your situation. I have been learning while in the process of helping my son get started. We started from scratch, which is probably not the best way, but through the pros on this site and some others, we have learned a great deal. We bought many of the toys you are hearing about, but realized very quickly that it's MUCH harder than it looks or sounds.

I too highly recommend the Tree Climbers Companion and also to put the toys in a safe place and start without any additional gear beyond the absolute minimum. Get a Dan House Rope Sleeve, a good arborist rope, a comforable saddle, a small piece of cordage to create a foot loop and don't forget your PPE.

Tie the rope directly to the saddle and use a Blake's for a friction hitch. Use a double fisherman's knot to create a foot loop, then a prussik to secure the loop to the climbing line. This will help you when ascending. While this is a very basic setup, it will allow you to enjoy tree climbing and still be safe. It will also teach you many of the basic knots and more importantly, give you a place to start.

Just remember, when they say "low and slow" they're not trying to describe what you'll look like after you have fallen!

Enjoy,

Gary

Here's a good picture of a 4 over 1 distel...
Anyone prefers other variations?

Sergio

I definitely prefer your variation with the nice mountains in the background;)

I concur ...nice touch with the mountains..sorry not using distal.I dont know the nameof my hitch ..it is simply 5 winds around climbing line and back to biner..some variation off the french?

I finally set up by lanyard with the distal and a pulley. I made an 8' and a 15'. Why did I wait so long???

I have been using 5/16 sta set for my hitch and it seems to lock down a bit. How would this work with 3/8 line? And it definately twists the rope using the friction saver.

Oh well, since I've switched to the distal I've never felt more comfortable in a tree.

As for hip thrusting......it hurts me to watch someone do that. I'm a pantin man for sure!

Dan

There is a stump grinding company in Wilsonville, Oregon that advertises "state-of-the-art" equipment. Its new, big and powerful.

I'll tell you what, when you guys that go up trees start using Jet Packs, I'll believe you when you say you're using "state-of-the-art" equipment.

I've thought about how cool it would be to access a high tie in point with a jet pack.-Do you suppose it will EVER be economical?

Back