How to handle major hazard? Rotting tree hung with power lines.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbavarian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to tree work but have been very smart about it. Reading a ton and practicing good safety standards. Know my limitations and am very honest to potential clients.

While over at one clients house doing some basic pruning, I noticed a tree in the back yard that put me at a loss of words.

I was looking up in the canopy from the front yard and noticed a lot of dead branches that were leaning against another tree. When I went to investigat it closer I found that the maple had rotted out through the middle, the trunk cracked and the whole tree was leanign on another.

To make it worse, it is leaning towards power lines for a couple houses.

And add this on, there isn't room to bring a crane or large equipment in.

With that, I offered her a couple names for large tree companies in the area.

I was also wondering if you reported it tot hte electrical company as a potental hazard, will they investigate it and potentially remove it? If she reports it but won't have the money to have it removed for a couple months and it falls, will she be responsible to pay to have the electrical service restored?

What are your thoughts? How would someone take it out. It is a large tree that is about 2 feet in diameter and maybe 50 - 60 feet tall.

Thanks

Stephen

Sounds as if it's over low voltage service drops. If so, she'll be responsible for damage to her power system, the next guy for his....(this all depends on the laws where you're at.)

If it's threatening the high voltage, just call the power company and they'll make it safe for free.

Pics are needed, but in general, I'd have the service drops taken down, then find a safe way to climb the tree the broken one is hung in, get tied in above all the chaos, and start piecing it out small until it comes free and goes to the ground. From there it's only cleanup.

Thanks everyone. I wish I did take a picture but I didn't have a camera at the time.

This would be a good teaching example.

I have been down this road before. Here in colorado, I am a power line clearance trimmer. In this case we would call the power company, tell them shat we found and from there thay will come out and do a service drop. from there you remove the tree as quickly as you can. The power comapny will stay there untill its on the ground. then thay will reinstall power. should be at no cost to home owners. we just did this about a month ago. 60 foot dougles fur. power down tree down and power restored in about 30 minutes.

When I have them (the big orange) do a make safe, I always bring my little portable grill, throw on some Brats and hamburgers, full cooler of Gatorade and Pepsi, they, for some reason, always stay a little longer, do a little more, maybe even grab a rake!
Just thought I would share how easy it is to get them to be happy about doing it! One time, had them almost do a full removal for me before they were called to another.

When I have them (the big orange) do a make safe, I always bring my little portable grill, throw on some Brats and hamburgers, full cooler of Gatorade and Pepsi, they, for some reason, always stay a little longer, do a little more, maybe even grab a rake!
Just thought I would share how easy it is to get them to be happy about doing it! One time, had them almost do a full removal for me before they were called to another.

:cheers:

You ain't as dumb as I look!

Back