how to handle this dark horse?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redshift

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can anybody please explain this: Is it possible to pick up the right saw for you by actually seeing its specifications, I mean if you have not used them and neither there is anybody who has had the first hand experience with the product....

can anybody please explain this: Is it possible to pick up the right saw for you by actually seeing its specifications, I mean if you have not used them and neither there is anybody who has had the first hand experience with the product....

yes
what sort of work would you be doing ???
what is your price range ???
we can recommend some

Sure, but to do so, you need to know what makes a saw "the right saw". Then it's just matching the specs up.

Honestly I think we suffer from trying to over complicate something that shouldn't nearly be so difficult. When you forget trying the find the "ideal" saw for a paticular use and change the criteria to a suitable saw, you'll find pretty much every saw manufacturer makes several models of suitable saws for a given task.

So long as you don't try to make too little saw do too much work, or go with too much saw that makes you work too hard, then you'll find there are plenty of choices of suitable saws and that can certainly be figured out by looking at a manufacturers specifications.

you can pick a saw by specs but you have to use it to determine if it is the right saw for you. that's why there are many of us that buy and sell and have multiple saws in multiple sizes. what's right for me today may not be right tomorrow. must have variety in your life.:msp_smile: Did you figure out what Husq you were getting based upon the recommendations in your other thread?

My favorite rig
attachment.php

If you name a saw that you're considering, I bet someone here has hands-on experience with it.

If you're going to start with only ONE saw, err on the 'too-big' side of things, especially if you are young and healthy. Unless you're primary use is going to be trail building/ maintenance, or something similar, where you're packing the saw more than using it.

One of the first thing you need to determine IS size.
40cc should be around 9.5# (in my opinion)
50cc ~11#
60cc ~12/13#
70cc ~13/14#

Next is quality. "The bitterness of poor quality remains after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

I like to have a good dealer fairly locally, and that can influence brand choice.

Is it possible to pick up the right saw for you by actually seeing its specifications, I mean if you have not used them and neither there is anybody who has had the first hand experience with the product....

I'd say more of a 'shot in the dark' . . .

Specifications can be misleading: displacement (cc's), HP, bar length, etc. do not tell you how reliable a saw is, how easy it starts, how it balances, how smooth it runs, parts availability, etc., etc., etc.

You can use some of those specs to narrow down the type/size/models saws that you want to look at. Trying them yourself is a great thing to do if you can. If not, you should seek out the opinions of others that you trust/respect. Certain saw models stand out in each category - even the manufacturers cannot always predict this!

If you are talking about some 'no-name' saw, sold on-line, using specs to compare themselves to a mainline saw, I would be skeptical; they are probably only quoting favorable specs. If it is a new company that has a local dealer who is willing to back it, that might be a different story, but I would still want to try it.

Philbert

Until he gets answers that match with whatever it is that he's already decided to do. This is, what, the third thread he's started?

Seems to be a pretty common personality trait these days

I wonder how many more threads or randomly placed (similar questions) are to come? Also makes me wonder if he/she owns camping gear :msp_biggrin:

Back