How to? Install a pull rope without a crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was watching one of Eric Frei's videos and noticed he's pulling palm trees over and the pull rope is not in the crown. It is below the crown and above anything that would be a target for a throw bag. In the description, he said "...not climbing...." so I assume they didn't spike them to get the rope up there.

How is this done?

Here is the video

Here is a screenshot of the rope attached below the crown.pullropebelowcrotch.png

You are going to have to keep looking for the video he made of doing it. I'm pretty sure I watched it years ago, it was interesting but I forgot how he did it exactly.

Couldn't one use a throwline shot into the canopy to pull up a "loose" running bowline until it reaches the desired height?

How? That is the question? I think I remember Ekka showed how to do this even on tall trees but I can't find the video.

Shoot your throwline weight over the canopy & let if fall to earth.
Tie a very loose running bowline in the bull rope around the trunk at ground level.
Remove weight from throwline and tie throwline to the loose running bowline.
Pull the throwline and raise the bull rope to a height where you wish to cinch it around the spar.
Cinch and set.
Retrieve bull rope and throwline after falling palm.
Would that not work?

Shoot your throwline weight over the canopy & let if fall to earth.
Tie a very loose running bowline in the bull rope around the trunk at ground level.
Remove weight from throwline and tie throwline to the loose running bowline.
Pull the throwline and raise the bull rope to a height where you wish to cinch it around the spar.
Cinch and set.
Retrieve bull rope and throwline after falling palm.
Would that not work?
Did this a few times on some palms in Hawaii and it worked great. The loose running bowline slides up well and there are no stubs for it to get caught on so no problem

On the tree in the video posted, my guess would be that he used a ladder. Where the pull rope is installed is only a little bit above the roofline, well within reach of an extension ladder. For that problem that would be how I'd approach it.

Screenshot_2016-03-27-21-31-00.png Good discussion. Thanks for all the replies. I watched it again and I'm going with using extendable pole saw handle that magically appears in the background

I'd say he uses the red pole (extendable) in the pic above, I have one and thats what we use, it has multiple attachments including a hook (with an s bend catching and pushing a rope). We also just shoot a line through the head and bowline it.

Latest posts

Back