How to keep climbers from spinning on leg ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Hog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've cinched them pretty hard and they still spin to the side. I don't know if I need more padding or fatter legs:jawdrop:. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Makes for an uncomfortable climbing day like tomorrow will be.

Caddie pads work for me. I used the heavy pads for quite a while but I loaned them to a fellow climber who was having trouble with twisting pads and after I got them back they were twisted and unusable. I went to the alum. pads and they're well worth the cost.
Phil

Slipping Spikes

We all have had trouble with the Tee Pads ( Not enough padding ) the 2 strap super climber pads from Weaver Leather they do help,1 strap above the Calf and 1 below

Last edited:
Where do I get the aluminum pads ? Will be checking out Weaver pads too. I think Buckingham makes some to. I'll have to search the web later. Thanks for the replies
Pete

I got mine from wesspur have never seen them on sherrill. Must be a west coast thing but I know i love mine.. I was thinkig about the small but glad i got regs. also seen your arbormaster post did you go to virginia last year

Are you making a loop around the shank of your climbers? If you make 1 loop around the shank before you buckle it it will keep them from shifting on you. Aluminum pads are nice. Used to have a pair of them and they were the most comfortable I had ever used.

Yes, I'm making a loop around them but it's the upper T pad that tends to slide around. I'm going to order up the aluminums. Can't put a price on comfort. Atleast in my eyes.

No,I wasn't in Virgina but did the CT one earlier in the year. Definetly going to do more Arbormaster classes. Rigging probably next. Maybe I should redo L1 climbing and see if I can remember more this time:laugh:

Get a $5 set of soccer shin pads, wear them on the inside of your legs under your pants... You won't have any more leg pain.

What kennertree said. The leg iron and the pad are not at a 90 degree angle like on regular climbers. The pad is offset a little to more easily point the spike toward the tree. Makes a world of difference. Plus the pad set-up is comfortable too. Seriously, if you want to know what it feels like to climb and not realize you have spikes on, get some geckos.

Latest posts

Back