how to manage (consolidate)the wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's beginning to bother the wife in the fact that the weather will be getting warmer and the wood is sitting right infront of and under her clothesline. I told her that I would be putting up a new clothesline because the one that is there will be in the way of the new woodshed. Me, I just smile everytime I look in the yard at the piles of wood. By my estimate, I'm cutting for the winter of 2010-2011.

Matt

Those piles, although not "yuppie neat" are acceptable in my view. The OPs descritption of his piles though...

My stash is done on a per load basis. I.e., bring a load, split and stack, get another. Since I am retired, there is plenty of time for the split/stack part. Back when I did have a full time job though...

Harry K

all the junk, stays in the woods.

I wish I could do that -- most of the wood I get is delivered via the tree guy here in town on his A-frame truck. If it isn't too heavy for the winch to lift up on that giant old truck, it's getting dropped as one piece out by the barn.

Too bad the largest piece I got from him -- 40" diameter elm trunk about 15 feet long is ELM :dizzy:

God bless,
Chris

Its hard to do keep a large wood pile neat. My wife doesnt say much she like to save money.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thanks guys..after looking at your pictures my pile is not that bad..
ant

I couldn't stand the "thrown" woodpile look, with a military canvas tarp for a covering, so I built a perty woodshed, complete with shingled roof, and split and stacked neatly. Far cry more sightly than the former.

Just split and stack it and more than not will envey it at todays energy prices. If they think white trash Just Pity them! Goes back to the saying: If you have to ask you would'nt understand!:cheers:

Over time I've sort of evolved into my current state of handling firewood where I figure, the fewer times I pick up a piece of wood, the better. So, I do all my splitting in the woods where I cut wood. Leave all the little shard and splinters, busted off chunks of bark, piles of "curly fries" (I just read that term on here tonight, and knew instantly what it meant), all the junk, stays in the woods. If it goes in my truck, it gets burned in my stove.

When I get home, I try to park the truck so I can pick the wood out of the truck and stack it where it will stay (nice and neat and ends of the stack cribbed off) until I go out to get it to throw in the stove.

The stacks stay uncovered all summer, then covered and wrapped with visqueen (sp?) just before it starts raining. Leftover wood from last year (I try to keep a couple years ahead on wood) gets uncovered in the summer and re-covered in winter.

Why cover and recover?? just cover the top and forget it. if you wrap your wood in visqueen it will sweat and mold, ben there done that:givebeer:

Back