How to pick up timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Phillips

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been select cutting small tracts of timber and clear cutting a few very small pieces of timber on shares for a few local land owners. I am really small (tractor, chainsaw, truck with a flatbed trailer) but making a little money. I am looking for advice on how to consistently get tracts of timber so I can grow the business. I want consistency before I jump into buying a skidder, loader, etc. any advice is appreciated.

If your name is out there, people will come to you.... "networking" helps too.... knowing guys that do dirt work, home building, farmers, etc. The thing is you kind of have to be "big" before you can really be known.
I always keep my eyes open for trees. Last year we pulled a good 300+ cords of logs off properties that they would have either dozed off into the fence line, burned, chipped up, or shoved off in a pile with "free" and had every crazy with a truck and Wild Thang in there.
Often for free or just some minor horse trading.
Have deals worked out with a few larger land clearing guys to get the logs and in return we give them some firewood or lumber.
It also doesn't hurt to figure out what the foreman likes to drink/smoke, etc and bring it by when you go asking "Hey.... what's going on with all those logs". :)

Then there are timber sales. Here they are sold by the state or borough (that's a county for the rest of you guys). Usually the tracts are 50-100 acres, sometimes smaller or larger though. They have a 300ish acre tract open for bid now, min bid is around $70k.
If you win the bid you get a timeline (often 1-2 years) to get it all cut. Pretty much you are buying the permission to cut the wood and that's it. The thing with those is before they award it, you have to have a written plan on how you plan to do the work, what types of equipment, etc.
I doubt they would allow a guy with minimal equipment to go in on a big tract... they want to see a "normal" logging outfit... feller bunchers, skidders, dozer, log trucks, etc.

Up where I'm from in Maine, alot of the big mills contract out for woodcutters. I was visiting about a month ago and the radio had ads that JR Irving (big outfit) was looking for contractors.

Those are nice jobs because the mill does alot of the leg work. Pretty much you just haul in x amount of wood a week under the contract for x price and they tell you were to cut. They have their own forester and all that. You just provide the equipment.
I'd imagine this is pretty common in other places too... seems like on the Swamp Logger and Axeman show that is how they are doing it as well.

There is a Huber mill in Crystal Hill, VA that makes OSB, I bet they have openings on contracts at times. I'd imagine there are other mills too, just I know that one. http://www.huberwood.com

Good people at Huber, my Dad is going to retire soon, been working for 32 years for Huber.

C's list used to work pretty good, or hanging signs on the side of the road...

Really though for us small fry operators its more about word of mouth. Do a good job and your work will speak for itself.

Go ahead and get yerself an old skidder for a reasonable price, it will pay for itself in just a few loads. Just don't get excitable and have any payments pay in cash or whatever just don't get a loan on it.

I'm in central va also. Its very hard to compete with the feller buncher crews. I am small time as well and most of my work comes word of mouth and from doing a good job like northman said. I also stop and talk to the feller buncher guys and have gotten contracted on for a few very specific trees or sections they'd normally leave behind honestly probably for feeling sorry from me haha. It has lead to them giving me names of land owners that have too small a job for them to make any money on running their equipment but my overhead is low

There are lots of mills around you need to stop by and talk to as well. Getting the work is one thing, being able to sell the wood is another. There is also the cogeneration plant in Bumpass that used to take whatever too (not sure if they take any less than tractor trailer loads anymore). Or there's plenty of firewood buyers. Or even more random my latest buyer is a USDA organic certified shittake mushroom farmer who buys white and red oak and only wants what what the mill doesn't doesn't accept.

PM me sometime we should talk more.

I'm in central va also. Its very hard to compete with the feller buncher crews. I am small time as well and most of my work comes word of mouth and from doing a good job like northman said. I also stop and talk to the feller buncher guys and have gotten contracted on for a few very specific trees or sections they'd normally leave behind honestly probably for feeling sorry from me haha. It has lead to them giving me names of land owners that have too small a job for them to make any money on running their equipment but my overhead is low

There are lots of mills around you need to stop by and talk to as well. Getting the work is one thing, being able to sell the wood is another. There is also the cogeneration plant in Bumpass that used to take whatever too (not sure if they take any less than tractor trailer loads anymore). Or there's plenty of firewood buyers. Or even more random my latest buyer is a USDA organic certified shittake mushroom farmer who buys white and red oak and only wants what what the mill doesn't doesn't accept.

PM me sometime we should talk more.
Thanks Jess. I would like to talk more with you. I will try to PM you when I figure out how to do it!! Haha

If your name is out there, people will come to you.... "networking" helps too.... knowing guys that do dirt work, home building, farmers, etc. The thing is you kind of have to be "big" before you can really be known.
I always keep my eyes open for trees. Last year we pulled a good 300+ cords of logs off properties that they would have either dozed off into the fence line, burned, chipped up, or shoved off in a pile with "free" and had every crazy with a truck and Wild Thang in there.
Often for free or just some minor horse trading.
Have deals worked out with a few larger land clearing guys to get the logs and in return we give them some firewood or lumber.
It also doesn't hurt to figure out what the foreman likes to drink/smoke, etc and bring it by when you go asking "Hey.... what's going on with all those logs". :)

Then there are timber sales. Here they are sold by the state or borough (that's a county for the rest of you guys). Usually the tracts are 50-100 acres, sometimes smaller or larger though. They have a 300ish acre tract open for bid now, min bid is around $70k.
If you win the bid you get a timeline (often 1-2 years) to get it all cut. Pretty much you are buying the permission to cut the wood and that's it. The thing with those is before they award it, you have to have a written plan on how you plan to do the work, what types of equipment, etc.
I doubt they would allow a guy with minimal equipment to go in on a big tract... they want to see a "normal" logging outfit... feller bunchers, skidders, dozer, log trucks, etc.

Up where I'm from in Maine, alot of the big mills contract out for woodcutters. I was visiting about a month ago and the radio had ads that JR Irving (big outfit) was looking for contractors.

Those are nice jobs because the mill does alot of the leg work. Pretty much you just haul in x amount of wood a week under the contract for x price and they tell you were to cut. They have their own forester and all that. You just provide the equipment.
I'd imagine this is pretty common in other places too... seems like on the Swamp Logger and Axeman show that is how they are doing it as well.

There is a Huber mill in Crystal Hill, VA that makes OSB, I bet they have openings on contracts at times. I'd imagine there are other mills too, just I know that one. http://www.huberwood.com

Good people at Huber, my Dad is going to retire soon, been working for 32 years for Huber.

Would you suggest the OP does his cutting with a stolen 046 or one with a mystery port job? You have been run out of the Chainsaw forum because of your lies, BS, and your lack of response to your story telling. You are not welcome there anymore and you are not welcome here. Go away.

Would you suggest the OP does his cutting with a stolen 046 or one with a mystery port job? You have been run out of the Chainsaw forum because of your lies, BS, and your lack of response to your story telling. You are not welcome there anymore and you are not welcome here. Go away.
Is this for me?? I am new to the site

This may be stating the obvious but if you are cutting for profit on other peoples land make sure you 100% know the property lines or leave a very wide margin for error. Some have learned about this in an expensive way.

This may be stating the obvious but if you are cutting for profit on other peoples land make sure you 100% know the property lines or leave a very wide margin for error. Some have learned about this in an expensive way.
Will do. Thanks for the advice

By "expensive", think 3x the cost of the trespass. "Triple Stumpage" is a pretty consistent rule from state to state.

OP id say your already on your way here. remember, say what you will do and do what you said. i am in a feller buncher area, i get alot of work because i do selections and handle over size timber they don't want.

Back