how to preserve my cedar from cracking- freshly milled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit583guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
just got some red cedar logs milled that had a diameter of almost 7feet and were in lenthgs of 12 and 24 feet from a job we just did. Anyways I had one plank milled that is 3'' thick, 28''wide & 12ft long I want to cut it in half and make a table top that is 56'' by 6ft. The plank is currently in our aboveground basement where there isn't much sunlight. Ive put it on 2x4 stickers that are space about 12 inch's apart and a blanket over top. Is there anything else I can do to prevent it from cracking? The logs have been sitting for about 45days and they were just milled today. Should I paint the end of the plank?

A few coats of latex paint or Anchorseal on the ends. In my experience Red Cedar had been one of the more forviving species when it comes to air-drying. It tends to stay very flat with minimal checking.

I was under the understanding that you only needed to seal the ends of logs until they were milled because with the bark on they wouldn't dry out evenly? :confused:

Back